advertisement

Your Streaming (or computer audio) history

Mac Mini into an Audiolab 8200CDQ using Audirvana+ with a squeezebox for radio. Then streamed via airport express to my second system.

For home rather than mobile - I started with a couple of Reciva radio devices (one Roberts the other IPDio) using Twonky on a PC and then a NAS. The IPDio fed a Beresford DAC and was ok but low bitrate only!! Then moved to a Cambridge NP30 which was fine once they sorted gapless playback (also based on Reciva tech) and then a Linn Majik DS which is currently in service!!

Except that it seems to make the system unstable in some conditions, and prevents you from using the higher sample rates that EDO enables.

I never had any instability problems with TT 3.0, later i used TT 3.0 and EDO together, i remember, that i had to change some TT scripts to make it possible, but i don't remeber which one. Some network tcp parameters ?

With Picoreplayer EDO and TT 3.0 are obsolete.
BTW Adrian Smith AKA Triode is the author of EDO and squeezelite.

Started 15 years ago with FLACs and JRiver MC (or whatever it was call way back then), first with a SoundBlaster card (and a spdif daughter board).

This was then upgraded to an M-Audio Delta 410. Various adventures with AV automation and multichannel audio (DVD-A, and esoteric formats) ensued

More recently, I've seriously rekindled my interest in digital audio, starting with an SB-Duet, soon adding a Touch, and now using 2 SBTs (both with EDO) and 2 SB Radios around the house.

Servers have ranged from Netgear stuff, to a silent solution (Vortexbox in an HD-Plex chassis) and currently an HP Microserver D54L with WHS2011, keeping the vortexbox as a backup

My DAC adventures have been straightforward by comparison: Theta DSPro-IIIa followed by MDAC (subsequently upgraded to Fusion-L3), using a Behringer UCA202 to play while the MDAC was being upgraded.

The rest of my stereo system hasn't evolved much by comparison (same ARC tube amp and Mani-2 speakers for 18 years, same Revox tuner and Dual CS5000 record player for 25 years)

I got an iPod because it was useful and convenient.

Real hifi is CD players by Linn (Karik III-Numerik), Meridian (200-203/263) & Naim (NACD3.5-Flatcap), and vinyl by Linn-Zeta-Audio Technica.

Fun stuff by aging Windows PC, JRiver, LG-NAS & Musical Fidelity V-DAC2/V-PSU into the Naim system

Next patient please.

Really adventurous stuff follows so prepare yourselves ;) been streaming for all of 3 months..

Virgin Media Tivo streaming from the clunky Spotify app for about 2 months, long enough to decide it would be worthwhile..

Veetop Hifi Airmusic Box, quickly realised not up to Tivo, returned..

..As of this evening an A1264 Airport Express streaming from iPad, and so far very happy!

advertisement

Back