advertisement

Your Reference Vinyl.

Blood On The Tracks - You're A Big Girl Now. Great for finding out how wide a sound-stage you're kit is capable of.

Ally

Mary Black - By the Time It Gets Dark .. especially the track 'There is a Time', amazing test for a system's clarity.

I do like Rod Stewart's Mandoline Wind too.

Agree. I thought I was alone in this.

I just listen to all sorts of music and recordings per normal and gauge my level of enjoyment. Takes a while but much more fail-proof than A-B-A.

Same here.

I tend to use whatever I am into at that particular time - stuff listened to often enough to know well.

If the upgrade is worthwhile it should show no matter what you listen to (within reason).

Don't have one.

When I bought my TT, I recall listening to Steeleye Span's 'Live at Last', and I'd attended other demos with friends and associates, so had already heard the product with a variety of their stuff. I can't recall anything else that I used to audition it.

Last cartridge upgrade, I just bought the cart off the shelf, fitted it, and liked what I heard.

These days, I think I'd find it difficult to force myself to listen to something as a reference disc if I wasn't actually in the mood for it. Perhaps this is why the TT has remained unchanged since the 1990s.

I have a brace of Sheffield Lab and other direct cuts, many of which probably qualify as 'reference' material, but most of them spend their lives vertically, on the shelf, while I listen to other stuff.

I play LPs I know very well.

Van Morrison Astral Weeks
Leonard Cohen Recent Songs
Grace Jones Nightclubbing
John Martyn Solid Air
Blue Nile A Walk Across the Rooftops
Stevie Wonder Original Musiquarium
White Stripes Elephant

Though I leave my system alone these days, whereas once I was continually fettling...

Though I leave my system alone these days, whereas once I was continually fettling. What a great idea!

only the one, Tango in the Night Fleetwood Mac

Played it last evening as a 'ref', because my kit hadn't been played for 2 weeks. I use others, but 'Tango' especially is pretty nigh faultless for s.q./dynamics. I've 3 copies from different times, and they're all good.

Had a modern re-issue of MILES DAVIS - KIND OF BLUE and found it to be totally lacklustre in s.q. terms. Surely even the original (1959?) is unlikely to be reference material, though my HIGH SOCIETY of 1957 (stereo) is exceptional in parts (a curate's egg) with natural yet vivid soundstaging.

my HIGH SOCIETY of 1957 (stereo) is exceptional in parts (a curate's egg) with natural yet vivid soundstaging.

That brought one of mine to mind, but unfortunately I have it on CD only - Tony Bennett - Hot & Cool, recordings of Ellington tunes with big band/orchestra accompaniment.

It took me a few listens before it clicked, but as best I can tell, it was recorded with Bennett in the same room as the band, probably in front of them on a soundstage, as opposed to being in a vocal booth.

Big Jim Sullivan - Sitar Beat. It sounds as if it was all done in one take and has a remarkably 'live' sound.

The problem to me with the concept of reference recordings is that the ones we tend to use can often make even average systems sound good.

Barry Reynolds -I scare myself
Willy DeVille -Miracle
Thomas Dolby-The Flat Earth
Grace Jones-Slave to the Rythmn
Doors -LAWoman

That's a problem??????:( Quality records have a distinct s.q. advantage on ANY well set up system.

I agree.

Although I have posted a 'list' above which might be what I play when I perhaps thinks my system sounds off to reassure myself (its usually all in my head or after I've had a bad day!), I judge my system, and indeed any system - by how well (or otherwise) it handles less stellar quality recordings/production rather than the audiophile stuff.

That is why on the odd occasion I do go to an audio show I get frustrated because all I hear are systems playing the usual audiophile standards when I really want to judge them on how they cope with poorer quality recordings.

I'm surprised there is so little classical (I think other than me none) and so little acoustic jazz so far. You can tell far more about a system with a solo piano record than a rock album IMHO.

I'm surprised there is so little classical (I think other than me none) and so little acoustic jazz so far. You can tell far more about a system with a solo piano record than a rock album IMHO.

Whereas I do have, and occasionally play SXLs etc.and Telarcs, for some reason there are always clicks and pops; far more than on my non-classical. Anyway, after a diet of classical on radio during the day, I crave other genres of an evening.

Wyndham Hill records, lauded in their time as top notch for s.q., are occasionally played, but lack outstanding musical eureka moments, unfortunately.

I have a few that I like to use, but I'm always surprised by just how much can be gleaned simply from listening to the first few, seemingly simple bars of 'All I Want' from Joni's 'Blue'.

American Beauty - Grateful Dead

Graceland

I had to read the list again because there is until now no mention of "Aja" so that's my three.

Saint Saen symphony no3 "organ" Fremaux
Copland Appalachian Spring RR prof Johnson
Vaughan Williams "London Symphony"No2 Hickox
Vivaldi 4 seasons ReComposed Max Richter

advertisement

Back