advertisement

Your most expensive amp repair

cooky1257

pfm Member
One of my MC2 MC650's went kaput a few weeks ago and after an unsuccessful visit to a local repair shop I had to ship it back to the manufacturer.
MC2 Audio are a very helpful company and had tried to assist my local repair shop free of charge.
Anyhow they've fixed my amp and give it a nice recap too but ouch! £318.

They cost about £1500 new, I only paid £300 for the amp second hand.

What's your most pricey amp repair?

I had a Meridian 105 that went sick, it came in at £150ish at Meridian. A Yaqin valve amp that fried its transformer was about £90 for the trafo and £35ish for fitting. I currently have a CD player in for a new power switch, I'm budgeting £30 but I may get it done in exchange for the mortal remains of an old Russian radiogram that my repairer is going to butcher for parts.

Had a pair of GEC KT88s go once, I had to go running across the room to dive for the OFF switch. The insides of one of the tubes looked like a fireworks show.

Fortunately the amp wasn't damaged, and I had another pair of KT88s, but the retail value of that failure was my worst service/repair expense.

£180 including P&P back when linn had a flat rate charge for all faults on all products, I blew a majik up when I shorted the outputs and a cable installer did the same thing to one of my klouts when pulled the leads from the back of a speaker. £180 was the total cost on both occasions despite the klout being quite a lot dearer to post.

I guess there must be something in the Sugden legend. I´ve only had had 3 amps, all Sugdens, since 1976 (A48II, A21a and now A21SE) and never had anything go bust. So my answer is zilch, nowt, bugger all.

£180 for the factory to repair my NAP180 after a lightning strike. Everything else was unplugged, I was just a second too late with the amp.

£180 for the factory to repair my NAP180 after a lightning strike. Everything else was unplugged, I was just a second too late with the amp.

You're lucky that you weren't touching the plug or the amp at the time, could have given you a good belting!

Mine was about £250 for a NAP 250 which had blown a cap in the right channel. Naim fixed it and fully serviced it. It did sound a lot better afterwards and came back looking like it had just been built. So no complaints really.

Rich

I remember sending my 32.5, HiCap and two 135s back to Naim for a service all at once. That hurt a bit!

£200 IIRC. Was to have the main PCB and all the caps replaced in my Rega Elicit (mkII Clam shell version) after the caps leaked everywhere. The only thing of the old amp left was the casework and two transformers. This was after its had been on 24/7 for 7 years. Sold it for £350 after a few years more use.

See, I think manufacturers should be entitled to void the warranty if people have kept equipment on 24 hours a day. It's a damn silly idea, apart from being dangerous. It would probably invalidate your fire insurance. Just another hi-fi foo idea which people have fallen for.

See, I think manufacturers should be entitled to void the warranty if people have kept equipment on 24 hours a day. It's a damn silly idea, apart from being dangerous. It would probably invalidate your fire insurance. Just another hi-fi foo idea which people have fallen for.

My power amps put them selfs into standby after 10 minutes, my streamer sits on a network so I leave that on, the power switches are all on the rear panels so I of course I leave it all on. I don't see how it's any more detrimental or dangerous than leaving a router, set top box, fridge ect powered up 24/7. I turn my turntable off.

Probably the Krell KSA 200 bill I'm expecting in a week or two. Both channels dead purchased off eBay cheap...

I am afraid my worst one is now waiting for me, on the floor.

Last month got a Beard P-100 for 400,-. Witnessed it working
in the shop. When home, tested it for 1 week on/off
in the second system, then moved over to the main system.

Again, a few short test sessions, during which a problem
with a ground loop from an (unused) DAC emerged.
Removed the DAC, powered the P-100, and spent
a few minutes waiting for the NAS to boot and then
pick a track.

At which time the P-100 burst out in flames, around one
or two output tubes.
At least two resistors got annihilated. The whole (half) house
smelled for hours.

If the output transformer is gone I will weep.

The transport/repair invoice will also make me weep.

Though my Naim owner's manual recommends leaving the preamp power supply and preamp on permanently.

advertisement

Back