advertisement

Your method of EQ’ing headphones.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
What’s your set up for this? I listen via a Chord Hugo 2 as a Roon end point into HD800s and now need to do this. I developed a further hearing problem recently as a result of a ruptured eardrum in my good ear but still have a HF deficits in it 2 months later, even though the eardrum has grown back.

I find Roon parametric EQ (tilting up the HF) unsatisfactory and struggle to ooeratd it. I bought AirPod Pros which I self tested my hearing on and they applied EQ to compensate and the irony now is they sound better than my unEQ’ed HD800s. I’d really love to find a way to EQ them.

It's a long way for a short cut but the Mojo 2 has EQ options, which apparently, are non-degrading to the signal. Could be worth exploring at your local dealer, even if only with a view to short-term usage till your hearing recovers.

I absolutely recomend the Mojo 2 for your needs. I have owned the original mojo, Hugo and Hugo 2, Hugo TT2 and MScaler. The Mojo 2 offers tremendous performance for the money and you will likely get back most of what you pay if you buy well.

Mine drives a pair of Focal Clears, Grado 325i' AKG802, AKG QJ701 perfectly.

It's quite easy to adjust the EQ.

What’s your set up for this? I listen via a Chord Hugo 2 as a Roon end point into HD800s and now need to do this. I developed a further hearing problem recently as a result of a ruptured eardrum in my good ear but still have a HF deficits in it 2 months later, even though the eardrum has grown back.

I find Roon parametric EQ (tilting up the HF) unsatisfactory and struggle to ooeratd it. I bought AirPod Pros which I self tested my hearing on and they applied EQ to compensate and the irony now is they sound better than my unEQ’ed HD800s. I’d really love to find a way to EQ them.
I’d be interested how you did this. Were you able to create an Audiogram. I have a pair of AirPods Max and have had them set to standard default settings for the last few weeks I’ve had them.

I use oratorys settings,and peq on my Rme dac,much improved my Hifiman xs,peq to me is a must in a modern system for either headphones or speakers,if you want to be without it you may as well be general Ned ludd smashin up t’looms.

I did a little digging and found an Audiogram app called Mimi. I took the test and got a score of 20db for left ear and 24 db for right ear which indicates slight hearing loss. That’s pretty good for someone my age.

The app requires that the microphone be enabled during the test as it is used to determine if the room is quiet enough to conduct the test. It was interesting that the test was halted when my furnace started up as it then became too loud for the test to yield accurate results. I had to wait for the furnace to shutoff before resuming the test. Another reason to love noise cancelling headphones!

I use Rephrase to create an EQ file (outputs in various formats but .wav is all I need). It's a bit daunting until you find your way around the interface as there are multiple sections, different tabs and a bunch of display and filter settings to get to grips with.

So it's very flexible, allows multiple filter types, filter lengths and so on. I use the parametric eq option and the phase correction section. I've used it with speakers to shape the in-room bass response but now I am a headphone sound consumer, I use it to straighten out the kinks in the Raal SR1a, which means correcting the bass rolloff which, without some help, is severe below about 50hz.

I plug the resultant filter into HQplayer and let it flavour the music in realtime. I get what sounds "right" to me by trial and error, varies with amp in use and requires much patience. But if you stick to short filter lengths (less processing time to generate an impulse) you can iterate versions of the response quickly and you can tweak until your ears and heart are content.

.wav or txt file formats are compatible with most replay software.

https://hearingtest.online/ I’ve been having a fairly rare reverse slope hearing problem in one ear and have found this test very good. The results compare very well with the three professional audiograms I have had. I have used the results from this with a miniDSP SHD to correct for my faulty ear with headphones although one has to be careful not to over correct. When playing from an android tablet I have been using USB audio player pro which has good PEQ.

Nowadays I do it within my RME ADI-2 DAC.

Prior to that I used APO with the Peace EQ interface.

I’d be interested how you did this. Were you able to create an Audiogram. I have a pair of AirPods Max and have had them set to standard default settings for the last few weeks I’ve had them.
It was this App recommended by AirPod max users. It tests your hearing then generates the audiogram which the AirPod app captures as a pic I think.

I tried using the parametric EQ in Roon but couldn’t work out how to get an FR curve similar to my audiogram. Roon could shelf up higher frequencies but it sounded awful. Since I use Roon for nearly all music at home I had hoped it would be the solution. The irony is that my Aipod pros with correction are currently offering the best sound out of all the hifi stuff I own, which is rather depressing!

At least you've got an option that works so it sounds like the depression comes with a silver lining, even if it's not the silver lining you'd prefer.

Fwiw, I tried out the PEQ options on my Mojo 2 for the first time last week and it was much easier to navigate the menu than I was expecting, and the PEQ is indeed quite effective. Having tried it out for myself now I reckon it's got to be worth a trip to Richer Sounds so you can try it out for yourself. For £395 it's a great wee bargain.

It was this App recommended by AirPod max users. It tests your hearing then generates the audiogram which the AirPod app captures as a pic I think.
Thanks, your post got me moving forward on this. I mentioned upthread that I found the MIMI app and since that time did a retest with noise cancelling engaged. I think it yielded a better test as I was having ambient room noise issues with the first test.

This morning I manually entered the MIMI audiogram results into the AirPods Max app Custom Audio Setup. It’s cool how it allows you to compare the custom to standard settings before deciding whether or not to use the audiogram custom setting. To me, it was a no brainer going with the custom setting.

This little exercise couldn’t have come at a better time, as I will be getting a lot of use of these in the near future.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back