advertisement

Your loudspeaker history...?

Not much..
Some speaker on a Philips midi set.
Jamo Graduate 3 on the same midi set (teenage years, thought they were the bomb!)
Mission 753 (non freedom). With first a 75c center and 731 rears, replaced by a single 751 for center and 752 rears.
ATC SMC40. With C3C center and SCM11 rear. This all the previous series.

Currently in a downsize plan. Don’t know where it will end, but looking at some active / DSP standmounts with an optional sub. Unless I win the lottery and get some D&D 8c’s.

Bland by comparison to some but here's my journey from 1980-ish:
Pioneer car speakers transplanted into Ferguson music-centre cabs - truly awful
Mission 700 - 1981 and my first student grant cheque spent in Laskys Manchester - kept me amused for 16 years
Acoustic Energy AE109 - 1997, cheap, bassy and exciting
Linn Kan Mk 1 - 2000, sold after 2 weeks, sounded crap until I demmed them for the buyer
RMS Revelation 1 - 2000 and I thought these would be my "forever speakers"
Linn Sara - 2005, never a serious contended, couldn't get them to sound less than rough
ATC SCM10-2A - 2007, replaced the Revelation 1s as forever speakers but currently stored pending home improvements
Mission 751 - 2012 for a second system that never happened but fun while they lasted
Shahinian Larc - 2019 bought to suit a more compact listening space

Slowly but surely…

Main:
Heco PPS 20, 1983
HGP Vola, 2002
Ascendo D7-C, 2017

Others:
Nubert A10, 2011
Nubert A200, 2016
Genelec G Three, 2017

First came a pair of AR18s - part of that classic Dual CS505/Nad 3020/AR18 system, bought as a package from the brother of a friend.
I heard a pair of Focal PS5.1s at a show and discovered Falcon Acoustics did a kit version, the Aria 5. Saved up and bought. Loved those. Still in use by my BIL.
ELAC FS210 Anniversary, my first grown up floorstanders, and an introduction to ribbon tweeters.
Raidho S2. Probably the most beautiful looking loudspeakers I’ve ever used. Loved their sound, too. Getting a taste for ribbon tweeters now…
Focal 1027Be. Wow. Just wow. An introduction to how phase coherence matters.
Focal 1028Be. See above, with knobs on.
Russell K Red150, lovely, expressive, delightful in many ways, but just not the 1028s.
Amphion Argon 7LS. Still got these, amazing performance for the money.
FinkTeam Kim. Just arrived. A keeper. Definitely. Could imagine these seeing me out, TBH.

advertisement

Back