advertisement

your guitars & amps etc

HairyHaggis

<((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.
prompted to post this on the back of recent threads...not mine, but esp. the one looking for beginners advice.

my guitars are:
1963 strat
2010 eric johnson strat
2013 suhr pro series s3
1989 taylor 810 ltd ed
2003 baby taylor
1988 ramirez classical
...and until recently, a 1982 blonde 335 which i should never have sold :(

amps:
mesa boogie lonestar classic
peavey classic 30

what do the rest of you have? or even bass, drums, keyboards. are there the makings of a pfm allstars out there? :)

4794260098_078486e4d2_o.jpg

Two 1981 Shergold Marathon basses (one fretless), a 1979 Shergold Masquerader and an (on loan from Ricky C6) Meteor.

9525855006_59a692c037_o.jpg

Moog Voyager and cheapo Epiphone acoustic in background. I've also got a Gordon Smith guitar, the Les Paul Jr type, and a Mini Brute but haven't a photo to hand. A few other bits and bobs knocking around too e.g. a Roland Cube 100 bass amp, a Boss distortion and digital delay pedal, and technically I still own a Wem Copycat tape delay, but I lent it to someone about 20 years ago!

Guitars:
Tokai Super Strat
Squier Telecaster
Clarissa Bowl Back Electro-Acoustic (Ovation copy)

Amplifier:
Laney Linebacker 50 (Although now I DI the guitars into the PC and use plugins)

Keyboards / modules are now my main thing and I have:
Korg MS2000B
Alesis QS6
Roland JD800
Yamaha AN1X
Yamaha DX27
Novation Super Bass Station
Roland D-110
Roland JV-2080 (with Vintage Synth, Keys of 60s & 70s and Orchestral expansion boards)
E-MU Proteus 2500
Akai SG-01V
Alesis NanoBass
Korg NS5R (with Yamaha DB50 expansion)
Casio PT30

Outboard (mostly use VSTs now):
Roland SRV-3030 Reverb
Behringer Virtualizer Pro

Sequencer:
Doepfer MAQ 16/3

Plus a shed-load of freeware VSTs etc

4794260098_078486e4d2_o.jpg

Two 1981 Shergold Marathon basses (one fretless), a 1979 Shergold Masquerader and an (on loan from Ricky C6) Meteor.

9525855006_59a692c037_o.jpg

Moog Voyager and cheapo Epiphone acoustic in background. I've also got a Gordon Smith guitar, the Les Paul Jr type, and a Mini Brute but haven't a photo to hand. A few other bits and bobs knocking around too e.g. a Roland Cube 100 bass amp, a Boss distortion and digital delay pedal, and technically I still own a Wem Copycat tape delay, but I lent it to someone about 20 years ago!

Ah bless that Meteor! Must give it some TLC sometime soon. Plan is to return to original owner at some point. No rush, mind.

1966 Fender Telecaster
1991 Rickenbacker 610-12
2006 Gibson J45
2007 Rickenbacker 330
2006-ish Fender Esquire
'80s Hofner dreadnaught-sized flattop acoustic

1963 Fender blackface Deluxe-Amp
1965 Fender blackface Champ-Amp
1966 Vox Cambridge Reverb
clone kit of Marshall 1974 18-watt combo

And I'm still working on a clone of the '61-ish Vox AC15. There's also a bare Vox AC10 chassis and faceplate gathering dust on my workbench, but I haven't done anything to it yet so I can't even claim that it's a work in progress yet.

Fender Custom Shop '61 Strat
Fender 1977 black Strat with maple neck
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster
Squier Affinity Tele
Danelectro '59
Sigma DR28 acoustic
Epiphone Orville series PR775-S acoustic
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Historic '58 Lemonburst

Cornell custom made tweed 1x12 with spring reverb
Fender Champion 600
Blackstar HT1R
Orange OR120 mid-70s - sold the 4x12

Edit:
Forgot these;
Epiphone EBO bass
Hokada 70s acoustic 12 string
Squier Jazzmaster
Tokai Flying-V

Yay, another chance to show my toys. A bit limited compared with the long lists above but well used.

I am a big Wal fan and this is my third along with my amazing lightweight MarkBass Mini 121 combo.

BandGig201109003.jpg

First was sold (idiot!) Along with my old high power rig. Epifani 210 cabinet, Eden Navigator preamp and Peavey DPC1400X power amp - bridged to 1.4Kw. Still have the Epifani cab and use it to extend the MarkBass when I need a bit more grunt.

WengeWalwithRig_zps91211a60.jpg

second was stolen (b@stards)

OldMapleBassPic2_zpse58a71de.jpg

My first foray into fretless. Going very well and trying to figure out how to afford a Wal Fretless

DSCN1397_zps7f13e032.jpg

Couldnt resist,..

Gibson 54 Gold Top reissue
Gibson Les Paul std
Fender 68 team built Custom Shop Strat
Fender Japan ST68 non export Japan Strat X2
Fender USA 62 Vintage reissue Strat.

Marshall 1959 Superlead Head, 69
Marshall JTM100 Head 1966 4XKT66
Fender High Power Tweed Twin with Celestion Alnico Golds.

DSCF0002_zps67b7ecbf.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

phone02329_zpsfb3663b9.jpg

Picture020_zpsb026dfa8.jpg

20140608_062236_zps24a37624.jpg

One question for all...do you regularly play your most expensive guitar or do you just keep it in its case and never touch it..?

One question for all...do you regularly play your most expensive guitar or do you just keep it in its case and never touch it..?

I'd never buy an instrument not to play it, though I'd be very reluctant to take an especially rare or valuable instrument to a gig (not that I've played any such things for a very long time). I'd argue that keeping an instrument well setup, in tune and played is better for it than either locking it in a case unused or leaving it out as a dust-collecting ornament.

I have all my electrics on one wall in the upstairs sitting room and the acoustics on stands about the house. I figure that every room that I spend time in should have something playable in it. The only exception (ok, there's nothing in the bathrooms either) is the kitchen which has The Lovely Sharon's Yamaha piano in.

Guitars are, from the top, left to right:
* Red US Telecaster
* Sunburst US Strat
* Blond Tele (was a Korean light ash, gloop sanded off, contoured and finished in nitro, hot pups, a US neck and a hand-tooled leather scratch plate)
* Patrick Eggle Vienna
* Cherry Heritage 335
* Cherry LP Custom
* Tobacco Heritage LP Std
* Sunburst Gibson J200
* Martin D28
* Yamaha FG 180
* Deering Goodtime Special
* Deering B6 Boston
* Mainland ukulele
* Firefly ukulele

Amps:
* One of those 5 watt DIY valve amps (I can't remember the name) into a Marshall 1x12
* One of those little Marshall modelling amps (can't remember that one either)
* And a pedal board thingey that makes fun noises but I use so infrequently that I can't remember how it works, which means I don't use it etc etc

If I had an endless supply of money I'd buy a brand new Gibson and keep it in the case, opening it only to smell it now and again.

The only guitars that are stashed away are the cheap Squiers, and my '77 Strat (which I bought new) which needs a refret.
I played all my Custom Shop guitars yesterday and pick one of them up every day without fail. They live kicking around the house wherever I last left them. I'm still not as familiar with the Les Pauls as I am with Fenders, so my most played guitars are my CS Nocaster and CS '61 Strat.

P5020006-1.jpg

The strap was made for me by Bob Schell of Brookwood Leather. Simply the best. It was a birthday present from my kids. Took a while and lots of discussions, and it's exceptional.

DSCN3138_zps8018d4ed.jpg

My CS Strat:
60hrelicfront.jpg

This is how it looked when it was only 8 years old:
jimi-hendrixwhitestrattortoiseshellguard.jpg

(ha ha , I wish)

The Les Paul Classic
87f53cf1-2aa8-40f8-b517-00d4bd8cd3df_zps40c0d847.jpg

wow - there's some really nice stuff here! love that marshall head! and a blackface! :)

good question. some of you may have noticed (!) i'd flagged up an ic for my strat as it spends most of its time in the case now. i'd never take it to a gig now (even if i was gigging again!) and feel it's time it was moved on to a better home, where it would see the light of day and get played properly. i'm just slowly easing myself into the idea of letting it go... :(

I'm about to go look at a second hand PRS Custom 24 (57/08 Ltd Edition quilted 10 top) that has spent its 6 years on this earth hidden away in it's case. I may have to release it into the wild.

so my most played guitars are my CS Nocaster and CS '61 Strat.

P5020006-1.jpg

What's the lowdown on that guitar as I think you posted photos before and I find it increasingly intriguing - how's it differ from standard Tele??

I'm about to go look at a second hand PRS Custom 24 (57/08 Ltd Edition) that has spent its 6 years on this earth hidden away in it's case. I may have to release it into the wild.

That length of time can make it rather hard to assess neck condition as it's likely a fair bit out of true by now and you may have to 'predict' what it will be like once restrung, tuned and truss-rod adjusted. It always amazes me that necks can go either way in storage, one would expect strings to relax, yet they can somehow become tighter. I've seen guitars that have been left with strings that have over time ended up a note or more above standard tuning, and I have to admit I don't understand the mechanism where that can happen! I had to make that call with my fretted Shergold Marathon which was found NOS via the estate of the late Jack Golder. The neck was like a banana when I first got hold of it, but it all came good with a little attention, care and time and it plays beautifully now, a really nice fast and low action.

I like to keep my most expensive guitars in there cases, but they come out daily.

Heres one that sadly got away, a pretty rare Gibson Explorer Bass with ebony board, it sounded fantastic, i really regret letting this one go.

DSCF1283_zps2e7ccf5d.jpg

advertisement

Back