advertisement

Your favourite retro speakers for a simple loft set up.

Dynaco A-25 - sold in incredibly high numbers -rubber surround woofers -so no foam rot issues-easy to drive -just plain sweet sounding speakers.Admittedly -thanks to US PX/BX sales more common in the USA -but enough leaked out to the rest of the world.

Another shout for JPW, mini monitor Gold can be found for peanuts. The mission 760i also a good shout, a bit more bass if you need it. Lots of interesting suggestions from others, if only we could hear them all to satisfy curiosity.

The chorale III is a bit earlier and quite a lot more expensive 'when new'.

I had a pair of Coda III's which came in similar livery but were certainly not suited to BTW use.

There might be a few suitable Kefs from that period but it certainly isn't "most".

The 760i's are a fair bit later than the Kef orange and chocolate baffle series or C10's etc. 90's rather than 80's

Mission 70's would have been the contemporaneous offering, and they sold well, though you rarely see them come up used. I wonder if they all fell apart like the HB1's did.

The one good thing about Kef is that all of the models have stood the test of time really well. No foam rot there!
I hadn't realised that the Chorale line was more expensive than it's brethren, 'when new'. Could one of the reasons for that have been that it shared it's drivers with the original LS3/5a - I'm pretty sure that I have 'em in my 'Concerto's', too (it's a shame that they didn't help your Codas to come up to snuff).

Back to the present: On 'the bay' (UK), today, there is a decent range of prices, ranging from a couple under £100, several between £100 and £200; and 'one or two' at £200 and over.

I share the above, not to dissuade @novak from any other suggestion; but to share what I'm learning here. By and large, it feels like a good place to be. Cheers!

Actually the whole range got pared down and cheapened over time.

The original Kef Coda used a T27 and B110 similar to the LS3/5a but was a bigger box. You'll pay a lot of money for a pair of those these days!

Proper speaker with real wood veneers etc!

By contrast the Coda II and Coda III and subsequently the C20 were very much pared down budget designs built to a price and were in a larger box still.

It was chipboard and vinyl wrap for £99 to go with your Dual and NAD

Not quite the same story with the chorale. The original Chorale was bigger than the Coda and had a T27 with a B200

The Chorale III was smaller than the Coda III but actually cost quite a bit more. It used a similar series of pared down drivers but they may have been of better quality.

It was still part of the same chipboard and vinyl wrap budget series though. Because it was more expensive they didn't sell many compared with the coda III's

Your Concertos will be from a different (earlier) era and are a much higher quality product than the budget series we're talking about (as in fact were the original Codas and Chorales).

Mordaunt short pageant 2

Just an unbelievably good speaker and good looking too
In the short time I’ve had my pair I’m astonished at the performance of these 40 year old speakers. Very tempted to have them recapped but then I’d have to stop listening to them for however long it would take to encourage my friend to do the work.

Another shout for Rega Ela’s if you can fit them in, superb vfm and great sound. A pair in the classifieds now for a ton and not too far from you ….

You'd think there would be a lot more 252's out there than you ever see. They were a really rated thing in the day. £130 new but you could get a skinflint budget vinyl wrapped version for £99 to compete with the Coda III. It all had to be £99 in those days!

Perhaps they fell apart too? like HB1's. They were a pretty direct competitor to HB1's.

Both were £130 but came in real wood veneer as opposed to vinyl.

I think my old Coda III's are still in use with a brother of a mate.

Mission 700's were also up there in the same league at that time, but they have also largely fallen apart.

Dynaco A-25 - sold in incredibly high numbers -rubber surround woofers -so no foam rot issues-easy to drive -just plain sweet sounding speakers.Admittedly -thanks to US PX/BX sales more common in the USA -but enough leaked out to the rest of the world.

They where sold in Scandinavia (at least) with another name, I think it was Dantax. A-50 was even better.

I've got my speakers in the classifieds but also check out Mordaunt Short 20i pearls. Mine sold quickly but a fantastic speaker for a small area and retro.

A pair of early Ruark Sabres went for £75 on e bay recently. I doubt you’ll do any better for under £100.

Some of smaller AR units are excellent VFM, I've got some 18s's that sound great with either a nait3 or A&R A60.

They seem to be fetching a quite a bit on Ebay. My pair had an upper midrange shout that was apparent on the odd track, and a lack of detail compared to more modern designs. Bass is clean and tight though. I think they'd be great for upgrading with a more modern tweeter. The Sealed JPW P1/AP2/3 are much more detailed, don't have the shout, and have a nice open midrange, with plenty of presence, but they do have a bit of a peaky midbass (very high Q driver). It's as tight as a drum though. I should really try adding some piggyback magnets to my woofers (AP2). It brings the Qts down, and It should help make the bass more linear, by bringing that peaky midbass down.
Kef Coda 8 produce a surprisingly big, expansive sound, and smooth treble, but don't have the tight bass of the sealed ARs and JPWs.

advertisement

Back