advertisement

Your favourite retro speakers for a simple loft set up.

My bargain go-to are the Kef Coda 7, seriously good bang for your buck.

They are actually. Build quality is shocking but they are lively and musical.

Probably bigger than you want, and a bit older but Goodman's Magnums still offer great VFM in the used market. I don't know why they haven't gone up like most others.

Really old speakers can offer great sound for little money but nothing lasts forever. If you accept the lack of spares it can be a fun choice.

I'm enjoying an old pair of Tannoy M15 stand mounts.
Cheap as chips, well under a ton.

They have an exciting and detailed sound. Thanks to the surprisingly excellent quality metal dome tweeters.

They are actually. Build quality is shocking but they are lively and musical.

Really old speakers can offer great sound for little money but nothing lasts forever. If you accept the lack of spares it can be a fun choice.

I don't think the build quality is that bad, but it is what it is, a plastic box. That said, they work very well.

Actually there's a pair of Kef C10's in my parent's system actually on a bookshelf. They're nowhere near as good as the Mission's to my ear.

I believe that most of KEF's bookshelf speakers, from the period which you mention, would do the trick. I have a pair of KEF Chorale IIIs (1983), which, to my old ears, apart from deeper bass delivery, give my MA Silver RS6s, a good run for their money. KEF Chorale III review (If the 'marmite-esque' front baffle graphics do not appeal, just leave on the grills...)

The chorale III is a bit earlier and quite a lot more expensive when new.

I had a pair of Coda III's which came in similar livery but were certainly not suited to BTW use.

There might be a few suitable Kefs from that period but it certainly isn't "most".

The 760i's are a fair bit later than the Kef orange and chocolate baffle series or C10's etc. 90's rather than 80's

Mission 70's would have been the contemporaneous offering, and they sold well, though you rarely see them come up used. I wonder if they all fell apart like the HB1's did.

The one good thing about Kef is that all of the models have stood the test of time really well. No foam rot there!

The one good thing about Kef is that all of the models have stood the test of time really well. No foam rot there!

Not true, Kef 104 and early ref serie inner woofer donut.

IMO many early Kef speakers are excellent, some may need a recap or whatever nowadays, but good purchases out there.

Mordaunt short MS20i Pearl's would be my suggestion. Marshall based design. True 8ohm with custom made drivers and minimalist Xover. Remember mine fondly.

The 10i's are good too . They use 4 ohm bass drivers.

Voigt corner horns x 4

Was about to suggest a nice WE design horn but I like your suggestion better.

WE-16a-BW-1000px.jpg

I agree with the Mordaunt Short Festival/Pageant/Carnival suggestion, also maybe something in the Rogers LS series might pop up in budget - LS2, LS4 and LS6 still appear at cheap prices, original versions if possible.

I agree with the Mordaunt Short Festival/Pageant/Carnival suggestion, also maybe something in the Rogers LS series might pop up in budget - LS2, LS4 and LS6 still appear at cheap prices, original versions if possible.
Was going to suggest vintage Rogers myself. I currently have some original LS1s in my bedroom system & they are superb little speakers.

Have some LS4as arriving soon, looking forward to hearing what they can do.

TS

advertisement

Back