advertisement

Your Favourite Album Of All Time

I see no one's mentioned the Velvet UG: Waiting for the Man-Queen Bitch.

Yes, it's a brilliant album. Sunday Morning for me, just because it's so different from the rest of it and it has that strange dystopian feel, with Nico's cracked voice singing out what should be nice cosy "la-la-laaa" melodies that still manage to be really uncomfortable to listen to.

Oh sweet nuthin' must be my favourite Velvets song, though another band I'd be hard pushed to name a favourite album, at least with Lou

Oh sweet nuthin' must be my favourite Velvets song, though another band I'd be hard pushed to name a favourite album, at least with Lou
I don't have that album. Odd, because I think I have all the others and like them. Banana, White Light, VU, at least, and plenty of LR stuff. I was really into his stuff in the 90s. Especially liked New York back in the day, in fact it's still good even if I haven't played it for a while.

For me it’s …. Pearl Jam ten. I bought it when it first came out and have never ever tired of it! I’m currently debating with myself whether to go and see them in Manchester but bony know if I can bring myself to pay the £180 for a ticket!😱
Hold your nerve for tickets - Ticketmaster are holding lots back to create artificial demand, but prices will plummet closer to gig time.

I'll be going to the London gig - the new album will sound phenomenal live. Definitely a return to form despite the iffy production.

Great album, maybe my favourite PJ though sometimes it may be Vs. I probably have all their stuff, they come a joint first with Alice for my favourite 'grunge' bands.
I've seen them a few times, last time was in Milton Keynes 2014, took the kids, all three of them in their mid-late teens, everyone had a great time, great day and great performance, Mike McCready really is something else, I don't remember the ticket price however I don't think it would've been anything like £180, I'm not sure I could warrant that for a single ticket.
Was there - £60 tickets! Great gig and available on Qobuz if you want to reminisce. A very loooong bus ride home afterwards ruined the memory of it slightly though!

Mine changes regularly depending on mood, but Faith No More's Angel Dust always features high up. Blew me away when it came out and still does.

Top for me is Abbey Road I ain't no Beatles fan but it's an amazing album even the second side I love.
Bowie came right after with three mega records which I personally think were influenced by AR.
2) Hunky Dory
3) Ziggy
4) Aladin Sane
Then anything from Talking heads or the Wailers.
KOB obviously.

I see no one's mentioned the Velvet UG: Waiting for the Man-Queen Bitch.
Interesting. How do you see AR influencing Bowie?

Interesting. How do you see AR influencing Bowie?

I think if you listen to all four albums chronologically it’s obvious that they‘re all linked, talking about the second side of AR for example the second side of HD is the same with Kooks, The Bewlay brothers even Queen Bitch is like Come together.

‘Oh! You Pretty Things" was the first track written for the album.[14] The piano style has been compared to the Beatles' "Martha My Dear".[19][35]

Dummy, Portishead
I like PYNC (Portishead Roseland New York) but, and I can't stress this enough, the DVD version. It has different performances I much, much prefer of key songs, the one that comes to mind is Roads, compared to the CD/streaming album (also it's not brickwalled) - my favourite songs from Dummy and Portishead.

I like PYNC (Portishead Roseland New York) but, and I can't stress this enough, the DVD version. It has different performances I much, much prefer of key songs, the one that comes to mind is Roads, compared to the CD/streaming album (also it's not brickwalled) - my favourite songs from Dummy and Portishead.
Funnily enough that has just been reissued today for the 25th anniversary and the film is being screened at various venues - including tonight in Bristol (sold out)

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/portishead-roseland-nyc-live/

I don't think Forever Changes by Love has been mentioned, but it's a strong contender for me. Arthur Lee's performance of it at Glastonbury a few years ago was transcendent. I'm glad he got to savour that joy and triumph, before he died.

Most of the other candidates I thought of have at least one track I don't get on with, but Magazine's Correct Use of Soap is an exception. An album that's up there with the very best.

My favourite jazz album is probably the Jimmy Giuffre Trio's 1961 (a reissue, by ECM, of two albums from that year). It must have come as a bolt from the blue at the time. Now it just seems timeless.

My favourite jazz album is probably the Jimmy Giuffre Trio's 1961 (a reissue, by ECM, of two albums from that year). It must have come as a bolt from the blue at the time. Now it just seems timeless.
Very underrated. His two early 70s LPs on Choice are superb too.

What a tough question! So many across various genres and as posted earlier in the thread we have memories associated with people, eras and places. I guess I’ll settle for the Stones 1981 album Tattoo You. They gathered up previously unused pieces from 1976 Black and Blue, 1974 It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll and possibly 1973 Goat’s Head Soup and 1972 Exile on Main Street as the start point rather than write from new and re-work it but for me it’s a desert island disc, particularly side 2. Worried About You is an all time favourite where they were trying out different guitarists and it’s not Ronnie or Keef on the solo.

I suspect like many here though, I could pick another 50 albums to go in that D-I-D gorilla case!

I don't think Forever Changes by Love has been mentioned, but it's a strong contender for me. Arthur Lee's performance of it at Glastonbury a few years ago was transcendent. I'm glad he got to savour that joy and triumph, before he died.

Most of the other candidates I thought of have at least one track I don't get on with, but Magazine's Correct Use of Soap is an exception. An album that's up there with the very best.

Funny that as I just don’t think Forever Changes is that good, he also didn’t write the better songs which probably rankled.

I also don’t like Dylan & find The Band rather boring so what do I know;)

I passed on early tickets, he's too hit and miss to risk £160 on. I've seen him in a shit mood playing awfully, and also delightfully perfect playing the best from his first five albums.

No point trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again.

advertisement

Back