advertisement

Your constructive advice much appreciated??

Weiss-Man

pfm Member
Hello all, I have a Gryphon Diablo which I have put up for sale due too not enough room in the lounge, and taking it up and down the stairs on some weekends depending on my desire to listen to music. Ashamedly sometimes I couldn’t be bothered to bring it downstairs and would end up listening to a Bluetooth speaker due to convenience. It has however for the last week lived permanently wired up in the lounge, connected to a MacBook Pro via a cheap USB cable with an Apple camera conversion to USB C, hardly doing the Gryphon any favours! Due to living in the sticks and having a really unstable Wi-Fi, we have instead 100GB contracts on our iPads. If you haven’t reached for a blunt knife yet and are still reading;

1, I can’t be bothered with the faff of using the iPad to feed data to the MacBook Pro (constantly having to re-establish the connection).
2, Using the above configuration, whenever I want to skip a track/change album etc, I have to get out my chair (I know, a real first world problem) crouch on the floor to first of all awaken the MacBook Pro, to then mess about with selecting something else, to then sit back down hoping the wireless connection to the iPad feeding the data won’t be broken.
3, I much prefer the sound that Optical inter connects give rather than USB, I know that sounds daft but I really can tell the difference, I find Optical so much faster and open with a wider soundstage.

So, can I ask your thoughts, do I buy a DAP (and a long cable so I can have it on my lap) as a front end or something like a Hugo ( so I can, there’s no easy way to say it, Bluetooth to it), which I could use as a headphone system with my Grado GS2000? The only thing here is the DAC won’t be utilised as the Gryphon has the built in DAC, which at a £5,000 option, I would hope to be much better than the Hugo.

So basically as a summary, I want to be able to control things from my chair without having to constantly get up, and be able to connect to the Optical input on the back of the Gryphon.

One other option, going off at a complete tangent, is I have found a Gryphon CD player (have quite a few CD’s) at a fairly attractive price!!!

Any constructive advice appreciated.

You could try a Raspberry pi running Logitech Media Server, with a connected external HD for your music files. You can control it from the iPad or the MacBook, and if you don't want to use USB out (which I do and very much like) then a USB to optical hat on the pi. Total cost probably under £150 all in.

Thought about a box like the Bluesound Node, it has optical out, excellent App and is easy to use, £550
https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/

Beyond that Lumin U1 mini and Auralic Aries various versions mini/g1/g2 are devices that might suit. Rasp Pi - there are several off the shelf pre made options that will output optical.

All controlled from tablet so you can veg out with a beer and flip albums off Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz etc. :)

How come you haven't bought a second (cheaper but cheerful) system?

I will read your first post a lot more carefully, my apologies!

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean? I’m obviously trying to get this working to a stable level, happy with the amp, but not the constant drop outs. It all gets tiring in the end and makes me think I’ll just listen from my phone to a Bluetooth speaker, a little disappointing when you are looking at an £18,500 amp sitting there not even turned on!

Just buy a streamer. Then you control it from your phone.

For best experience, also use Roon.

Bluesound Node. £500 approx
Lumin U1/D1 - £1500 approx
Naim ND5XS2 - £2200 approx

Lots of price options.

Run a NAS connected to your network that can be tucked away out of sight if you have your own media.

I wouldnt bother with the 'Blueberry Rasberry Pi' as its just more unneeded faff as far as I am concerned, but its a cheap option. I've only ever heard one system with one of those (pretty expensive too) and it was dreadful but I accept it may not have been down to the Pi.

One box solution that the Bluesound or Naim, job done. Mine is left on in standbye, Roon fires it up so its almost two buttons to power up my entire system. If my amp had a power button on the remote I wouldnt need to leave the couch! This is what annoys me about Valve amps...no standby! :)

Or sell it all, go on holiday, come back and buy a Naim Mu-So.

Just buy a streamer. Then you control it from your phone.

For best experience, also use Roon.

Bluesound Node. £500 approx
Lumin U1/D1 - £1500 approx
Naim ND5XS2 - £2200 approx

Lots of price options.

Run a NAS connected to your network that can be tucked away out of sight if you have your own media.

I wouldnt bother with the 'Blueberry Rasberry Pi' as its just more unneeded faff as far as I am concerned, but its a cheap option. I've only ever heard one system with one of those (pretty expensive too) and it was dreadful but I accept it may not have been down to the Pi.

One box solution that the Bluesound or Naim, job done. Mine is left on in standbye, Roon fires it up so its almost two buttons to power up my entire system. If my amp had a power button on the remote I wouldnt need to leave the couch! This is what annoys me about Valve amps...no standby! :)

Or sell it all, go on holiday, come back and buy a Naim Mu-So.
Rasp Pi can sound excellent, I’ve built and bought umpteen versions of them, a lot of DAC Hats are SPDif rather than Toslink though, so check the specs carefully.

The Naim ND5XS2 does not have Toslink out which is what the OP asked for.

advertisement

Back