advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘24

I’m a little wowed by this gorgeous debut

198391786303-3.jpg

Clara La San - Made Mistakes

Signed copies on her site: https://claralasan.com I’ve taken a punt mainly out of curiosity (I like the track above), and she’s a Manc so can’t be all bad.

PS Different genres/styles but a couple of nice Dinked Editions landed this week; the Machinedrum album ‘3for82’, and the new Goat Girl ‘Below The Waste’. Both really good, and if you want the Goat Girl you definitely want the Dinked Edition; signed, numbered and cut across 2x45 clear disks rather than squeezed onto one LP as the standard edition. Not played it all yet, but side one certainly sounds good! 3for82 sounds superb too, I’d been streaming it previously and the vinyl is so much better. Nice to get two really good sounding (non-jazz) records for a change.

Thanks, both. Clara La San’s album made me think of a less polished Kelela, but yeah, Erika de Casier. I have Sensational, though haven’t heard her newie. I’ve some early Machinedrum, mostly for LuckyMe (woof), and have saved the above.

One more, Caoílfhíonn Rose’s Constellation. A very easy on the ear lullaby…

Made with some Gondwana labelmates, and maybe more experimental, more otherworldly than before.

Thanks, both. Clara La San’s album made me think of a less polished Kelela, but yeah, Erika de Casier. I have Sensational, though haven’t heard her newie. I’ve some early Machinedrum, mostly for LuckyMe (woof), and have saved the above.

One more, Caoílfhíonn Rose’s Constellation. A very easy on the ear lullaby…

Made with some Gondwana labelmates, and maybe more experimental, more otherworldly than before.

Really like that, thanks Alex.

Mk.gee - Two star & The Dream Police (album).

Not my sort of thing at all, but I can't stop listening to it! It's in the modern style but with a heavy sort of '80's thing going on. Interesting production with some nice guitar-work from a talented young chap.

This live version of one of the tracks has echoes of John Martyn to me...

More recent arrivals…

After production for Frank Ocean, JPEGMafia, Dean Blunt and more, a fresh Vegyn album, The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions. A house banger in among some mellower vocal collabs…

Statik, a first album on Smalltown Supersound for Actress following his recent Carmen Villain rework. Bleepy, but calm and almost Twin Peaks sometimes. Seems my iPad is hopeless at playing some low rumbling that sounds like it’s from outside…

Skee Mask’s Compro is perhaps my most-played album of recent years. So Resort bought on sight when it showed up out of nowhere last week. File under ambient, atmospheric, breaks, dub, electro, glitch, techno…

advertisement

Back