advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘24

Didn’t really get the first Smile album nor the new one. If you want to makea Radiohead album then just crack on with it. Nothing especially original or compelling on the new one.

Have enjoyed Katy Kirby, the new Yard Act (Blackpool Illuminations is up there for song of 2024 if nothing else) and the new IDLES album, but the only thing I have on repeat at present is the new Waxahatchee album. It’s not a patch on the last one; is one paced; largely has choruses weaker than the verses with maybe three exceptions and has cinseciutive songs with an A, D and E chord sequence, which has enraged me clearly beyond rationality and yet… there is just something about the single and the album which has me returning.

Didn’t really get the first Smile album nor the new one. If you want to makea Radiohead album then just crack on with it. Nothing especially original or compelling on the new one.
Yes yes yes, begining to think I was the only one.
Cant stop playing IDLES love every track.
Yard act a breath of fresh air, just embrace it.

Not a 2024 album.... but I discovered it this year.. and I keep getting drawn back to it again and again is Animal by LUMP - a collaboration between a folk singer (Laura Marling) and an electronic artist (Mike Lindsay). Just hangs together really well, and the more you listen, the better it gets.

Not a 2024 album.... but I discovered it this year.. and I keep getting drawn back to it again and again is Animal by LUMP - a collaboration between a folk singer (Laura Marling) and an electronic artist (Mike Lindsay). Just hangs together really well, and the more you listen, the better it gets.
That’s Mike Lindsay, late of acid folkies Tunng, that I was fond of- a sort of pastoral Syd Barret/ Robyn Hitchcock. I bought Lump on that basis, but couldn’t get on with it. You’ve encouraged me to give it another go.

That’s Mike Lindsay, late of acid folkies Tunng, that I was fond of- a sort of pastoral Syd Barret/ Robyn Hitchcock. I bought Lump on that basis, but couldn’t get on with it. You’ve encouraged me to give it another go.
its a slow grower for sure.... but give it a chance and I bet it grabs you as well..... Will look into Tunng - thanks for the info :) I came from the Laura Marling direction to find LUMP. The second album is better than the first IMO. Both are compelling though.

The new Sinkane LP, ‘We Belong’ has been pretty much on repeat here this week.

I’ve loved a few of his individual tracks previously, but this is the LP that I always hoped he might make, apart from the blatant ‘All I Do’ rip that is ‘Another day’ this is.

The new Sinkane LP, ‘We Belong’ has been pretty much on repeat here this week.

I’ve loved a few of his individual tracks previously, but this is the LP that I always hoped he might make, apart from the blatant ‘All I Do’ rip that is ‘Another day’ this is.

Didn't know he had a new one out, I have 'Life and Livin' It' which I played a lot when it came out.

Cheers BB

its a slow grower for sure.... but give it a chance and I bet it grabs you as well..... Will look into Tunng - thanks for the info :) I came from the Laura Marling direction to find LUMP. The second album is better than the first IMO. Both are compelling though.

You absolutely have to get into Tunng, preferably right from the beginning “Mothers Daughter and other songs”

Giles Peterson played “Mothers Daughter” on his R1 show back in 2005 and I was instantly hooked, I’ve been evangelical to the point of bullying folk into listening to them ever since. :D

You absolutely have to get into Tunng, preferably right from the beginning “Mothers Daughter and other songs”

Giles Peterson played “Mothers Daughter” on his R1 show back in 2005 and I was instantly hooked, I’ve been evangelical to the point of bullying folk into listening to them ever since. :D

Everything up to ‘turbines’ and then they lost me a bit. Up to that though, just amazing music.

Willson Williams, by Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand. Always liked Kathryn Williams but mainly on other people’s albums rather than solo. I really like the combination of these two though. Never heard of Withered Hand (Willson) before.

Cheers BB

Willson Williams, by Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand. Always liked Kathryn Williams but mainly on other people’s albums rather than solo. I really like the combination of these two though. Never heard of Withered Hand (Willson) before.

Cheers BB
I’ve just bought this. I’d recommend Withered Hand, very good singer songwriter. His most recent album is excellent. Dive in.

advertisement

Back