advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘24

So far this year

Chromeo - Adult Contemporary Nothing not to like if you like Chromeo.

Nouvelle Vague - Should I Stay or Should I Go? More of the same. Which is very well done.

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - Back In Time Some excellent. Some filler. But I might be biased.

The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy I suspect that this will be appreciated more when I see them live on Friday.

Crawlers - The Mess We Seem To Make A highlight. I was expecting lots of shouty hard rock. But it is not really like that at all. Almost soft.

Enjoying the Grandaddy album very much. My current favorite of the year:

Tapir - The Pilgrim, Their God And The King Of My Decrepit Mountain, a collection of 3 EPs (2 released in 2023) as an album.

Cheers BB

I have been following Bardo Pond for 30 years and have everything they have released, but their latest LP, prosaically called Volume 9 and just released, has their most astounding track in War Is Over. It is overwhelming and reduced me to tears.

Manu Delago, Snow From Yesterday
Natascha Rogers, Onaida
Outliers feat Jenny Sturgeon and Boo Hewerdine
Mac

The new Yard Act album, Where’s My Utopia, turned up today. Very different to the first. Busier, more orchestrated, and really quite odd on first play. I suspect it is quite good in a ‘The Fall play surrealist political disco’ kind of way, but it will take a couple of plays to fully sink in. I went for the numbered signed orange vinyl from Assai (says yellow on their site, but it may well be the most orange thing on the planet). Decent pressing and has a printed inner, large sticker sheet and even larger fold-out insert.

Surprisingly Amazon have fully signed CDs up for grabs here.

PS/edit: I’m most of the way through side 2 now and that has convinced me, it is really good!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The new Yard Act album, Where’s My Utopia, turned up today. Very different to the first. Busier, more orchestrated, and really quite odd on first play. I suspect it is quite good in a ‘The Fall play surrealist political disco’ kind of way, but it will take a couple of plays to fully sink in. I went for the numbered signed orange vinyl from Assai (says yellow on their site, but it may well be the most orange thing on the planet). Decent pressing and has a printed inner, large sticker sheet and even larger fold-out insert.

Surprisingly Amazon have fully signed CDs up for grabs here.

PS/edit: I’m most of the way through side 2 now and that has convinced me, it is really good!

I ordered the same copy, but I opted for them to hold it until I have enough for free shipping. Sounds interesting!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I ordered the same copy, but I opted for them to hold it until I have enough for free shipping. Sounds interesting!

Annoyingly Discogs have recently ruled Assai Obi Editions are not a legitimate variant, so cataloguing them is a lot harder now. I can kind of see their point as it is something added after production by a retailer, but the signed ones do certainly add value and also act as provenance for the signatures. As they are clearly done with the full consent/participation of the artist I feel they have called it wrongly. It is a distinct variant IMO.

The new Yard Act album, Where’s My Utopia, turned up today. Very different to the first. Busier, more orchestrated, and really quite odd…

Listened to the first couple of tracks yesterday, and thought “mad as a box of frogs” - not for me.

Listening again today for reasons I’m not sure, but have now got the Amazon signed CD version on its way.

Mad as a box of frogs, but in a good way.

Have to agree with this. Blu Wav from Grandaddy (Jason Lytle) is an astonishing album but being a massive fan of his work, I would say that. Just so happens it is though. It's been on heavy rotation since release 👏
I do like it, nothing comes close to Sophtware Slump though.

Rather enjoying Notebook Fantasy by Chicano Batman. It came up on an American site I look at for new releases. I'd never heard of them, picked this up from the internet:

Inspired by soul, funk, electric jazz, R&B and whatever other musical sound that could possibly feed their creativity, Los Angeles-born psych-soul band Chicano Batman went into the iconic Sunset Sound studio and emerged with “Notebook Fantasy,” a new album that captures the band's relentlessly independent spirit.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back