advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘24

Whaleblue

Southbound
Here we go again…

Spending some time today back with Qobuz and Roon, listening to a new releases playlist.

The following are worthy of a listen I think:

New Model Army - Unbroken
Daïda - LA TRAVERSÉE
Katy Kirby - Blue Raspberry
The Smile - Wall of Eyes*

*In truth not as good as A Light For Attracting Attention so far, but may improve on subsequent listens

Only two hours into the six hour list (with digressions to sample additional tracks from the above), so there could well be more. Promising start to 2024.

*In truth not as good as A Light For Attracting Attention so far, but may improve on subsequent listens

After further listens I agree with your assessment, I have found this new musical direction a bit underwhelming.

The debut Plantoid album Terrapath is rather good. One for our old prog-fans to try. I’d certainly argue it contains about 65-70% prog! There is vinyl if you hunt around, even a numbered (300) signed Dinked edition (which took me a bit of finding as I was late off the mark with this one). It is really good; has slight hints of Khan, Nektar etc, plus a bit of Canterbury-prog to my ears, but also sounds fresh.

PS Just added it to my collection now and people are trying to get £160 for it! Looks like a hot one!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m a sucker for a bit of mellow trumpet, but this is a bit of a surprise like in some ways…

EDIT: I’d only listened to the first two or three tracks when I posted. I’ve now heard it through. It’s a must listen.

Last edited:
Here we go again…

Spending some time today back with Qobuz and Roon, listening to a new releases playlist.

The following are worthy of a listen I think:

New Model Army - Unbroken
Daïda - LA TRAVERSÉE
Katy Kirby - Blue Raspberry

Only two hours into the six hour list (with digressions to sample additional tracks from the above), so there could well be more. Promising start to 2024.
Unbroken is great but not heard the others but will give them a try :cool: 🤟

Another vote for The Smile album, when that guitar roars in on Bending Hectic - that was love at first listen for me, the tone of it almost metal after the build up. Bliss!

Another vote for The Smile album, when that guitar roars in on Bending Hectic - that was love at first listen for me, the tone of it almost metal after the build up. Bliss!
Having listened many times now I feel that Bending deserved to be in a better a album. Most other tracks are rather meh...

Having listened many times now I feel that Bending deserved to be in a better an album. Most other tracks are rather meh...
I’ve also had at least half a dozen listens. Bending Hectic is the stand-out track, but overall I’ve warmed to it enough to realise that “meh” by Yorke/Greenwood standards is still head and shoulders above 90% of most things I’d even call good. Happy I bought both the coloured and black vinyl anyway!

EMF - The Beauty and the Chaos
The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy

Looking forward to the new Pearl Jam and Norah Jones

I’ve also had at least half a dozen listens. Bending Hectic is the stand-out track, but overall I’ve warmed to it enough to realise that “meh” by Yorke/Greenwood standards is still head and shoulders above 90% of most things I’d even call good. Happy I bought both the coloured and black vinyl anyway!

Going by online reports the stand out track is Teleharmonic. I'd hammered Bending Hectic since it came out but i would say it is 50/50 with Teleharmonic now for me. Still blown away with it all, can't remember hammering an album like this for a long long time.

advertisement

Back