advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘23

This young lady is sixteen and from nowhere, will be appearing on Jools Holland's Hootenanny
As with Seasick Steve, an industry insider.

Now supposedly seventeen, Muireann claims to have been at primary school in Donegal when she was actually playing drums in failed Jack White side projects, was once the resident DJ at Fabric, and is currently thought to be a big name on the underground LA hip hop scene...

Another side project, and a heartfelt song from Jonatan Leandoer96

Stockholm’s finest ditches the vaporwave / cloud rap fusion again to croon some more emosh tunes on Sugar World.

a0480385901_10.jpg

By far the most compelling listen I’ve experienced this year. A superb album.
Cool stuff. Had a listen via streaming. Promptly ordered. Similar to a fair amount of stuff I listen to. Will put this in my streaming folder 👍

The Guardian top ten contemporary albums 2023 list turned up a late entry to my own favourite album of the year list, Joel Styzens "Resonance", stunning album.

Other favourites this year have included;

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit "Weathervanes"
Slowdive "Everything is Alive"
Smoke Fairies "Carried in Sound"
Hania Rani "Ghosts"
Everything but the Girl "Fuse"

Like the new Peter Gabriel album but not his best work, just a little too safe for me.
Two new National albums was a nice surprise.
Another great Lana Del Rey album, but again, not her best work imo.

TS

In one of it’s genius acts of randomness the YouTube algorithm burped this end of year review up from The Omaha Introvert yesterday, whom until that point I had not heard of.

If you have a certain taste towards shoegaze, new-wave etc, which I certainly do, her recommendations are superb. I’ve since watched a few of her videos. I’m obviously far older at 60; I bought much of her record collection new on release, but that’s what makes her recommendations for current stuff so fascinating as I just didn’t follow some genres through to now. I’m sorely tempted to spend around £50 bloody quid importing the Slow Salvation album she recommends as it is just brilliant atmospheric shoegaze/dream-pop stuff. I can’t find it anywhere in the UK, and the Bandcamp link is about £45 once shipping is added before playing HMRC roulette. Loads of other great recommendations in the list complete with Bandcamp links in the description. A lot thankfully available here.

PS As I say I’ve watched a few videos now, and I’ve never had less than 50% of the records behind her!

The Say She She album has been great fun to listen to these past few months, really enjoyed that one. On a great recent label as well, Colemine.

I so nearly bought the limited signed edition of that, had it in the basket and everything, just didn’t hit the button for some reason.

Yes, IIRC it was about £45 by the time RT’s shipping was added, and I just bottled it. Shame, wish I’d bought it now.

Here’s Ken Micallef‘s best jazz stuff. I’ve got surprisingly little of it.

PS He desperately needs a record cleaner, that’s some of the filthiest vinyl I’ve ever seen!

01) Lankum - False Lankum
Contemporary Irish Folk from Dublin.
A captivating mixture of soft, tender tones, the often blunt, insistent and demanding vocals, and the powerful, overwhelming, pulsating, clanging and groaning drone sound with its humming and rumbling.
Despite all the experimental elements in this music, Lankum give it a strange, driving quality that swallows me.

02) Lisa O'Neill - All of This Is Chance
Irish singer-songwriter with her fifth album. For me, however, this is her premiere.
Very moving with thrilling stories. And a very unique vocal coloration, at the same time rough and sometimes harsh, but then again melodic and warm.
Reminds me a bit of Cinder Wells' album "No Summer" from 2020, also due to the drone-like violins used at times.
Captivating record!

03) Vincent Neil Emerson - The Golden Crystal Kingdom
Produced by Shooter Jennings.
I had incomprehensibly labeled Vincent Neil Emerson as irrelevant to me until now. But the new album grabs me: quiet, but intensely simmering with laconic, restrained vocals. Sometimes, the stories told are quite tough, but don't turn into bitterness. Very accessible instrumentation throughout the record, everything played with great naturalness. Great.

04) Rose City Band - Garden Party
Another great new album from Ripley Johnson.
Psychedelic Cosmic American Music with wonderfully wailing pedal steel and Wurlitzer, evoking a sense of the great wide open and free spirit. Carefree and casual, like a trip to sunny California in the late 60s, which is of course a romanticized image, but one that I can't escape.

05) Lauren Barth - Stormwaiting
California Folk from Santa Barbara.
Her second album, following "Forager" from 2017 which hd passed me by. A beautiful West Coast album, influences from David Crosby, Joni Mitchell and Tim Buckley can be heard, but British folk is also peeking around the corner. Surprisingly, however, the mood reminds me a lot of Bert Jansch's 1974 album "L.A. Turnaround".

06) Kassi Valazza - Kassi Valazza Knows Nothing
A beautiful mixture of country and Cosmic American Music with a slightly psychedelic touch. Wonderfully subdued instrumentation with Telecaster twang, Wurlitzer, pedal steel, cornet and trumpet. Kassi Valazza's vocals on this album sometimes remind me of Karen Dalton.
Includes a very nice cover version of Michael Hurley's "Wildegeeses" at the end of the record, in which acoustic guitar, fiddle and Kassi Valazza's voice come together just wonderfully.

07) P.G. Six - Murmurs & Whispers
Pat Gubler's first record since 2011.
Somewhere on the edge between folk and psych with a clear nod to the English weird folk scene of the sixties and seventies. The guitar is often replaced by the Celtic harp. Subtle electronics provide slight drone effects, yet a feeling of lightness prevails.

08) Cinder Well - Cadence
Amelia Baker's new album is good again, but doesn't grab me quite as immediately as "No Summer" from 2020. Somewhat more lushly arranged than its predecessor - the string arrangements are by Lankum's Cormac MacDiarmada - more elaborate and perhaps also more complex, the record a bit lacks the stormy doom urgency and atmosphere of danger that were all over the place on "No Summer".

09) Spice World - There's No "I" in Spice World
Jangle pop group from Fremantle near Perth with their debut album.
Slightly psychedelic undertones, playful, quirky, sometimes charmingly wobbly. With an unmistakable Down Under sound.

10) Buddy & Julie Miller - In the Throes
A surprisingly snotty and urgent new record with a wonderful, forward-moving drive.

advertisement

Back