advertisement

Your 5 Favourite/Best Motown Songs.

The Elgins - Heaven Must've Sent You (the intro is just so 'Motown'!)
R Dean Taylor - Indiana Wants Me (a cheat as it wasn't quite on Motown, but a subsidiary, but I loved it)
Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour
Stevie Wonder - I Wish
The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone (another that was on a Motown subsidiary - Gordy?)
Only in the US. Loads of stuff that came out on Motown over here, came out on Gordy records over there.

Only in the US. Loads of stuff that came out on Motown over here, came out on Gordy records over there.

Indeed. What we generally call 'Motown' for short first came to my attention as 'Tamla Motown',which was talked about as a 'studio' rather than a label in the early days. But it was always a 'complex' of labels including Tamla, Motown, Gordy, Anna, VIP, Soul and Ric-Tic.. at least..
As I recall quite a few early tunes appeared here 'licensed' on the Stateside (EMI) label, but with the reference to Tamla or whatever somewhere on the label.
By the late 60s we were buying singles on the individual Tamla, Motown and Gordy labels in the UK.

All here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateside_Records

Anyway. Today's top Five from me:

I never much liked Diana Ross with that screechy voice, but this is a great tune:

Junior Walker almost bridged the gap between the 'polish' of Motown and the rawness of Stax. He'd have been great on either. Terrific DNA in this tune, and I think some of his others, written by Harvey Fuqua of 'Harvey and the Moonglows' 1950s 'Doo Wop' pioneers. Harvey was the nephew of Charlie Fuqua of the Ink Spots from the 1930's/40s. Johnny Bristol also involved.

Possibly lesser known, but a big hit:

And Marvin.. complete with the usual manic TV dancers...

Good point. I’d remembered that the two I flagged were on Tamla Motown here in the UK but when I checked and saw that they were originally on Gordy I got thrown!
I also thought (incorrectly, I now know) that R. Dean Taylor was the first white artist on Motown, but it would appear he wasn’t, although he was the first to reach number one in the US.

Mick

I seem to recall that the first white artist signed to Motown was actually Frank White but it was on a subsidiary label (Berkley?).

I seem to recall that the first white artist signed to Motown was actually Frank White but it was on a subsidiary label (Berkley?).

Apparently (although I don't know when Frank White was signed):-

The first white artist signed to Motown Records was DEBBIE DEAN in 1960.

The first white artist signed to Motown Records with a hit was CHRIS CLARK in 1966 with "Loves Gone Bad" on their VIP label. The album containing that song was released the following year on the Motown label and was called "Soul Sounds".

Kiki Dee was there in the early/mid-'sixties too, which I didn't know...

The first white artist signed to Motown Records with a hit was CHRIS CLARK in 1966 with "Loves Gone Bad" on their VIP label. The album containing that song was released the following year on the Motown label and was called "Soul Sounds".

Hi,

The first white act on Motown (Tamla in 1959) was Nick and the Jaguars. This was a one off deal. Debbie Dean (Reba Smith) was the first white artist to sign a deal. She released a 3 singles which didn't become hits. But she came back to Motown as a writing partner with Deke Richards. She as cut a 4th single in 1968.

Her Debut for Motown

Her 1968 effort

One of her best known tunes that she co wrote.

The first white act on Motown (Tamla)

I have a soft spot for "Band of Gold" by Freda Payne
Then there's "I Heard it on the grapevine", "War", "My Guy" and "Baby Love"
Hi,

Band of gold wasn't a Motown song in the strict sense of the word. The song was written by Holland Dozier & Holland but at a time when they had left Motown and were in dispute with them. They had set up their own label, Invictus Records, but could release material written under the Holland Dozier & Holland name. They used a pseudonym, Edyth Wayne, and producer, Ron Dunbar.

Band of gold was recorded with the Funk Brothers, Motown's house band, and a number of Motown backing singers. It was produced by Brian Holland & Lamont Dozier.

This is one is one of Holland, Dozier, Holland's finest efforts. It is one of my favourites.

I am going from vague recollections so could be entirely wrong.

Hi,

The first white act on Motown (Tamla in 1959) was Nick and the Jaguars. This was a one off deal. Debbie Dean (Reba Smith) was the first white artist to sign a deal. She released a 3 singles which didn't become hits. But she came back to Motown as a writing partner with Deke Richards. She as cut a 4th single in 1968.

Thanks for that! I did a search but it was all a bit vague...

Papa was a rolling stone, The Temptations.
Super freak, Rick James.
ABC, The Jackson 5
You can't hurry love, The Supremes.
The tracks of my tears, Smokey Robinson.

The singing in the Motown era is really standout for me. The harmonies are sublime.

Great thread, nothing to add.

Is there a particular well presented/mastered compilation anyone can recommend?

Just checked that out. So long as they are all the originals.. i.e. not 're recordings where at least one member of ..' etc... it looks well worth a fiver. Personally, I wouldn't miss CD5.

advertisement

Back