advertisement

Young M2Tech DAC

alcarmichael

pfm Member
I've recently re-connected my original Young M2Tech DAC to my MacBook via USB, I can not get the MacBook to see the DAC. After a bit of Googling I found issues with the drivers not working with El Capitan for users of the Young HiFace, do I have this same driver problem with my DAC?

Unfortunately problems with drivers have all but destroyed M2Tech as a credible brand, check their site for the latest drivers .
Keith

I was on the site last night looking for drivers, nothing listed for El Capitan or Sierra. I was tempted to upgrade to Sierra just to see if I had any joy with that but thought I'd ask here first.

Done, thank you for your help.

Assuming I'm going to have no luck, what DAC's would you recommend as a replacement? I'm really quite fond of the Young.

I'm currently using the optical output of the MacBook but do think it sounds better using the USB. I'm not really a fan of Windows but I may be able to cope using a Windows based laptop purely for streaming. Do you have anything in mind?

I'm currently using the optical output of the MacBook but do think it sounds better using the USB. I'm not really a fan of Windows but I may be able to cope using a Windows based laptop purely for streaming. Do you have anything in mind?
You could use an RPi with a board supporting optical / spdif. That's if you have your music available outside of iTunes. This would be quite a low cost route.

That wouldn't allow me to use 384kHz up sampling from the USB out, which, although it was a long time ago, I thought sounded better than outputting at for instance 44kHz.

Unfortunately problems with drivers have all but destroyed M2Tech as a credible brand, check their site for the latest drivers .
Keith

TBF Apple haven't helped by making a complete bollox of the new OS versions.

Marco was good enough to sell me a hiface2 at cost to replace my Hiface1 when OSX messed up the drivers, he was quite honest in saying that his developers were having problems writing new drivers for OSX because Apple changed things days before releasing the OS.

It has been a series of unfortunate events which were not totally M2Tech's fault, their code guy ruining off with the original code the loss of their OEM business, Marco is a really nice guy and talented engineer.
Keith

I am the ultimate computer biff. Thank heavens my young is still working good as gold.
Survived going from windows 7 to 10. I'm keeping my tin hat on and hoping. ��

I am the ultimate computer biff. Thank heavens my young is still working good as gold.
Survived going from windows 7 to 10. I'm keeping my tin hat on and hoping. ��

I'm in your camp, changed from windows 8 to 10 and my Mycromega dac would not work, and although 2 or 3 people tried to input the drivers for me it was by pure luck one of succeeded. Changed to a Calyx 192 and a friend again had to do the drivers thing for me. To the op if you have to change dacs then I would recommend the Calyx or something from Metrum.

advertisement

Back