advertisement

You know what winds me up?

D-C

pfm Member
I thought a thread that allows us all to vent our pet peeves might be a good idea ….

I'll go first.

Being contacted by a firm to apply for a job their posting. The job posting tells you everything.. everything except the bottom line i.e. the salary. Not even a range.. nothing.
Does. My. Head. In. :mad:

If they don't tell you the pay rate, then assume National Minimum Wage per hour, and zero hours contract. That is the new norm.

Best wishes from George

I hope not, its for the global head of blah blah.. They just want you to undersell yourself. I'm tempted to reply assuming it pays £100,000,000,000 with stock options.

I hope not, its for the global head of blah blah.. They just want you to undersell yourself. I'm tempted to reply assuming it pays £100,000,000,000 with stock options.

Clearly they expect you to know what the job should pay.

Clearly they expect you to know what the job should pay.

Indeed, and I do. But it's not unusual to go through the entire application process for them to try and lowball you, knowing you've invested a lot of time and effort into the whole thing.
I've asked outright in previous early stages and been given the whole "being finalised" line.

Any other pet hates anyone?

Indeed, and I do. But it's not unusual to go through the entire application process for them to try and lowball you, knowing you've invested a lot of time and effort into the whole thing.
I've asked outright in previous early stages and been given the whole "being finalised" line.

Any other pet hates anyone?
Given that they invited you, unless you really want the gig, I’d be inclined to take the line that without knowing the package, you don’t know if the palaver of the process is worth your while.

Recruitment consultants that assume youre going to be happy with them negotiating your remuneration package, like it's not in their interests for you to take a low ball while they get their full ticket...

Recruitment consultants that assume youre going to be happy with them negotiating your remuneration package, like it's not in their interests for you to take a low ball while they get their full ticket...
Yeah, this is a bit of a favourite. I just remember that they aren't my friends. I tell them what the bottom line is, that I don't GAF what the client has in the budget,and that's the price. The agents tend to be young sales types who mistake this kind of rudeness for assertiveness and report back to the client accordingly.

Someone on Facebook called Gina posting spaceships coming out the sun with lots of people believing it. Jeez so many gullible people.

Reactions: D-C
Yeah, this is a bit of a favourite. I just remember that they aren't my friends. I tell them what the bottom line is, that I don't GAF what the client has in the budget,and that's the price. The agents tend to be young sales types who mistake this kind of rudeness for assertiveness and report back to the client accordingly.

Having spent a couple of years on the dark side I can assure you recruitment consultants have no friends, the good ones act in their clients interests the clue is in the fact that they get their money from them, a lot have no concept of anything other than a bonus and are not worried how they get it or who they pi55 off and I am sure if the price is right they would kill without qualms, some of them make you wish there was a hazmat decon shower nearby after they have shaken your hand.

What if they were thinking of offering more than your bottom line?

Pet Peeve?
Un-original BS.
The same old lies trotted out again and again. I've been doing what I do for thirty five years and I've heard it all before. They think they are being original/clever/smart and I'm thinking 'oh no.... not this one again'
Also: people who cant take responsibility for their actions and mistakes. Folks who absolutely lack the strength of character to say '...somehow I've f***ked this up.." I know it's hard.... but be an adult for Christ's sake. It went wrong... lick your wounds, do what you can to put it right..... but please, please stop saying it isn't your fault.

Job interviews are like dates. If you are interested, you make the effort to see if your interest is justified. But you can be as sure as eggs that not everything will be disclosed in the invitation to meet. You might even have a few interviews / dates before you know if all your / their wants can be met (wink / nudge).

One of the best jobs I've ever had required five interviews; two with the appointing manager and three with internal stakeholders, including the appointing manager's boss. At the time, I thought it was overkill. I later realised that my ability to get on with the others was material how I succeed in doing my job.

I wanted the job, and I was happy to pay the price to get it.

advertisement

Back