advertisement

Yosemite Climb

Dawn Wall!

Ferking incredible!

The whole of Yosemite is incredible, but standing beneath El Capitan and looking up at Dawn Wall...Oh man...I got vertigo just looking at it.

Some of the press hyperbole about "toughest climb" is, well, hyperbole, but that is hugely impressive...I can remember a time when the hardest categorised climb in the UK was a 6c, and we are up into the 9s with several sections of Dawn Wall.

Fantastic achievement! You can't really appreciate the sheer scale of Al Cap until you go and stand at the bottom, it is unbelievable. Wonder what they'll attempt to freeclimb now? The Reticent Wall perhaps? I'd try myself but I'm a bit busy right now...

Amazing achievement.

For truly mind blowing climbing check Alex Honold on el cap. The guy is on a different level.

I just found out, from the valley floor to the top of the sheer El Capitan it is higher than base to top of the whole of Snowdon ! You might well have been to Snowdon, now imagine that sticking pretty much straight up.

I myself have done Snowdon, which therefore puts me very nearly on par with those climbers.
I went up in three quarters of an hour, which means I was climbing much faster than they were. Thanks to Ivor and Jones the Steam.

It's an amazing bit of climbing. Like a few others here I've climbed around Yosemite and El Cap is just vast. I;m surprised they are on it in January though, it's at 8000 feet ish iirc and it will be bloody cold at night and in the morning. Good for friction though on those sticky boots.

Yosemite is a wonderful place to put on your bucket list.

Almost noone will climb the face of El Capitan but there are some spectacular and highly demanding walks for the experienced. As well as some easy walks for the quite fit.

For a serious and very fit walker with a steady head for appaling feelings of vulnerability, do the climb to the summit of Half Dome ( easy to spot in pictures as it looks as it is called ). The last section makes you feel vulnerable and is cable assisted over slick rock.

For fit but more cautious walkers there are great walks based on the falls.

An easy path, albeit initially steep, leading to a spectacular overlook of the whole valley and over to Half Dome, is the Inspiration Point walk. There's actually a cafe at the top and lo and behold, when you get there you see that you could have just driven up the other side ! Fabulous view here for the unfit.

The immediate park itself is worth at least two days on a tour. But also, the surrounding area is full of great scenery and things to do. Almost all organised tours make the mistake of just breezing through Yosemite. Even most peoples self guided tours do the same albeit less so, but usually don't do it justice. I always advocate on trips such as these, to cover a lesser area and do where you visit really well, rather than cast yourself over too large an area, have too much driving and leaving areas feeling short changed. So like on a two week ( or even a three week ) road trip in the area, don't be silly like many people and try to do a huge California/Navada loop. Focus, say on a smaller California loop out of San Francisco, covering parts of the coast and come inland through the "Gold Country" to the Sierra Nevada mountains and maybe Lake Tahoe. Doesn't have to be that but I hope you get my point. Go smaller and longer in each place rather than skim over place on mad routes.

Since we are being inspired here by Yosemite, if I may I'd like to recommend something special for your living rooms.

Go here : http://www.allposters.co.uk/

Find high quality landscape photos, including the classic "Tunnel View" perspective of the Yosemite valley. There are various weathers, lighting and print ratios to choose from. Order a high quality one of course. I assure you from personal experience they package them in ultra strong tubes to protect them.
Then take it along to a local framer to choose exactly what you want. Allposters can frame them too but I think it might lead to a better choice going local. Choose non reflective glass !

I think this makes a really special addition to your living room.
I have two of Yosemite. One summer of the Tunnel View and another winter of a view over a stream to El Capitan.
All sorts of national park kind of choices work well. Another one I particularly liked and chose was a view over a lake to the Grand Tetons, with reflection in the water and a riot of Fall colours around the lake.

Like Cloth Ears says...

Inspiration Point is brilliant, one of my favourite ever places.

The views across the valley from Yosemite Falls (a not too taxing walk if you are half fit) are very good too.

While in the area don't forget the coast...101 FTW! Big Sur, Carmel, Bixby Bridge...Stick on Steve Wynn and The Miracle Three's Amphetamine at full whack and floor it! I would purely love to take my TT along that (assuming no traffic dibble). Mind, I'd settle for some ridiculous Merkinanian muscle mobile as the bends aren't quite Wee Mad Road of Sutherland or Bealach na Ba...

You mean Highway 1. The 101 is the fast arterial route which misses most of the coast itself. I agree about the section of the coast you refer to. It makes a good part of a loop out from San Francisco, which is a wonderful place in itself. For the coastal part, drive north to south, because that way you are driving at the edge rather than looking over traffic. B.t.w. an ideal time for blue skies is not the high summer, as the day often starts with a lot of milky grey, which usually burns off by sometime in the afternoon, but not ideal. Better to go earlier or later, like maybe late Sept/early Oct.
A lot of people rent convertables for the journey, if it is just for slow driving on a dedicated Highway 1 trip in the summer. But for a trip inland, up at speed and up high or, for any trip beyond summer, you'd be better with a luxury car, or an SUV if you're worried about grip in the mountains.

Cuyahoga, do we know each other from the "Native American tent place" ?

Bollocks!

It was a while ago: we drove on lots of roads and all the numbers start to blur together and tequila rotted my brain, when some wicked espressos in North Beach weren't making me gibber incoherently and we weren't staying up all night in clubs in SF...I'm surprised I can remember anything about California...

But I had to correct you. Someone here might have driven on the 101 instead of the old Highway 1 and their whole holiday would be completely ruined, all because of you.

You see what I have averted by my timely intervention ? I have protected their holiday and spared you the guilt of having spoiled it. :D

You were quite right to do so: a wonderful public service from Cloth Ears Enterprises correcting a drink and drug and caffeine addled memory of a reformed hedonist!

Missing the coast would be a disaster indeed!

An unsung bit of Cali is the Bristlecone Pine Forest. I loved it there, it's empty and lost out of the back of Lake Tahoe somewhere. The average age of the trees is 1000-2000 years, the oldest are 4000 years. So that's a living thing that was an adult when Jesus walked the earth. The chief hazard is fire, it's dry and cold there with harsh winters so the fungi and insects that would normally destroy old trees don't take hold.

What's the bit of Yos that Kirk is climbing? Is it Royal Arches area or somewhere nearby? I'm trying to remember what views you get of HD from there.

This thread is well timed as I have just booked a 2 week holiday, first week in SF then Yosemite and a drive down to LA. Keep the suggestions coming!

I don't know how El Capitan is divided and named if at all, but it was El Capitan. That's why the clip instantly came to mind when I saw the thread. I love that scene and indeed the whole movie. Movies 4 and 5 were directed by "Spock" and "Kirk" respectively, which meant that both movies tapped brilliantly into the relationships between the main crew members with great comedic effect. Those two are my favourites among the old-old crew ST movies. That scene on the rock face is a prime example; the annoying spock irritates Kirk to the point where he almost dies, Spock rescuing him through his high tech, meanwhile the highly strung McCoy looking on in angry disbelief, but only out of the great love he possesses for both. Sheer magic. Remember those forest night time scenes and the way they reprised it right at the end of the movie ? LOL

advertisement

Back