advertisement

Yorkshire Dales

Cheese

Bitter lover
As a kid I enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small very much and I found it on youtube again. I know it's totally naff, but Season 1 still manages to make us laugh, and we love the scenery to the point we'd have a look there in the next few years. We would basically like to know which town we can take as a basis for renting a car and driving around the Dales, provided this is allowed of course. Unless there are any extensive bus tours available ? We are prepared to be rained over by the way.

Thank you for any information.

Skipton or Harrogate are probably your best bet for car hire and access to the train network (I assume you want to get there by public transport). Lovely part of the world, but as well as driving around get out and do some walks... it's even better as you can get off the beaten track.

Pately Bridge for me. It's a nice small town with enough stuff and alright in the middle. I send to do a lot of off-road trails from there and it was a good start and finish point

As above, I’d start with Harrogate for t’hire car, maybe with a lunch in Betty’s. However, I’d then stay somewhere right in the Dales. Of course, budget comes into this, and time of year.
There are too many places to visit in one trip, and if it’s raining on one side of the hills, just travel to the other side.
But please, don’t visit the Durham Dales. They’re mine, and I’m trying to keep them quiet.

Start in Leeds if you want to hire a car, go from there. Or York. Skipton is the gateway to the Dales, it's a lovely little town. After that it gets posher and more expensive. Ilkley and Harrogate are the most expensive places and best avoided unless you absolutely must live there darling. Some of the villages can be remote and suffer from lousy weather once you get off the beaten track, it's a consideration if you are getting to an age where medical care is an issue. My parents had this discussion and avoided the Dales, they moved to an area just to the N of York. Easy access to the Dales and NY Moors, but when my Mum fell over a clothes basket there was an ambulance at the house within 10 minutes of them picking up the phone. 10 minutes after they had loaded her on the vehicle she was in York Hospital. You won't get that in Grassington.

Don't get North York Moors mixed up with the Dales.... we often spend time in and around Hebden and Grassington, and don't ignore Malham - the walks are surprisingly easy with excellent pubs (for food) dotted about.

As a kid I enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small very much and I found it on youtube again. I know it's totally naff, but Season 1 still manages to make us laugh, and we love the scenery to the point we'd have a look there in the next few years. We would basically like to know which town we can take as a basis for renting a car and driving around the Dales, provided this is allowed of course. Unless there are any extensive bus tours available ? We are prepared to be rained over by the way.

Thank you for any information.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-british-car-journeys

Nice places to stay include Burnsall (made famous in the film Calendar Girls). The Red Lion is comfortable and had decent food when we stayed, a few years ago. Also perhaps the Austwick Traddock.

There’s a ‘slow TV’ film of a bus journey through the dales. A gentle and pleasant hour or two.

Start in Leeds, have a lunch in Man Behind the Curtain, move on to York. Forget Harrogate as a waste of time IME&O. Go to Settle and journey from there.

Inclined to agree with GT re. Harrogate. Pleasant Victorian spa town, but trading on a genteel past and nothing to delay a casual tourist for long. Three hours for a mooch round would be plenty.

Whitby is better. Also it's a long way east of the Dales. If you want Whitby then choose the North York Moors. Dales is west and extends up to Cumbria so don't mix the two.

advertisement

Back