advertisement

Yet another Ergo Design to hatch in Middle Earth …

Mike Hanson said:
As it was, the E-V1 would have been pushing its luck. My former Royd Albion was OK, and the current RR3 is perfectly-sized.
If space is an issue, then the E-VIs would definitely be problematic because they need to be well clear of walls. In the main, the monopole Ergos can all be installed close to boundaries when voiced accordingly. Both Mr Tibbs and AshleyD have their E-III and E-IVs almost hard up against their respective backing walls.

James

Towering Ceiling-wards ...

4028491-lg.jpg

Monolithic ...

4028490-lg.jpg

Best Skis Forward ...

4028486-md.jpg

Multi-facet grain and colours of Sapele ...

4028482-md.jpg

674 sq cm of bass radiation area per side ...

4028481-md.jpg

A solitary E-VIII ...

4028437-lg.jpg

James

Awesome

you should be earning a living from this - and filling peoples rooms the country over with your works of art :)

I wish I could hear one of your creations!

Anderzander said:
... you should be earning a living from this - and filling peoples rooms the country over with your works of art :)
Nah, then it'd be work and it'd get boring for me. Mind you, for the right money ...

I wish I could hear one of your creations!
Plane tickets are cheap these days. Take your pick of London for a pair of the E-IVs (I'm sure AshleyD would be proud to show you his superb work in Walnut), Belfast for the E-IIIs (ditto Mr Tibbs in original Sapele), and the full range here in Neu Zeeland.

James

Mr Tibbs said:
James, you're just showing off now, but you're entitled... but please do carry on :D
I'm just filling in time waiting for the Danish Oil to cure fully, and drivers to break-in, before I progress to the next stage of XO design. Am I offending your sensibilities, or do you feel a bit tempted to have a crack at these?

James

Am I offending your sensibilities, or do you feel a bit tempted to have a crack at these?

Offended sensibilities? Overawed more like.

Tempted yes! Can't wait to read how they perform...

Mr Tibbs

James said:
If space is an issue, then the E-VIs would definitely be problematic because they need to be well clear of walls. In the main, the monopole Ergos can all be installed close to boundaries when voiced accordingly. Both Mr Tibbs and AshleyD have their E-III and E-IVs almost hard up against their respective backing walls.
My speakers are a little over a foot from the side walls, and a few inches more from the rear. There's also a bay window (max 18" deep) behind them, giving a bit more breathing room. Here's a crappy picture, from when I still had the Albions:

System%20-%20Speakers.jpg

Ultimately, I'm probably not going to do any speaker building work for quite a while, as it's one of about a dozen hobbies that are waiting in the wings for me to have quite a bit more space, and who knows when that might be. That's why I'm inclined to sell these drivers, if someone is inclined to buy them.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

James said:
A solitary E-VIII ...

4028437-lg.jpg

James

I'm extremely sorry, James, but after a couple of days of thinking about this, I feel this design is visually less succeesful, to my eyes, than your previous ones.

The problem seems to be with the wood strips you have running on the sides. I can see that they are necessary with your method of cladding MDF carcasses with solid wood, but they create shut lines with the top and side boards. Also, they create grain discontinuities.

The fact that you have a black center and wood sides tends to draw the attention to the width of the speakers.

I think that it would be interesting to see your speaker with a reversed colour scheme, black sides and a wood center.

The trapezoidal mounting plate you have chosen for the mid and tweeter is also a bit problematic since its angles are not taken up elsewhere in the speaker. How about making the angle of the trapeze the same as for the sides, IYSWIM?

Markus Sauer said:
I'm extremely sorry, James, but after a couple of days of thinking about this, I feel this design is visually less succeesful, to my eyes, than your previous ones.
No need for apologies, Markus. I agree that it is different visually, but in this case I'm far more concerned with function than form. If a wide baffle works in the manner that I expect, you can be certain that I will build another, with more curves and better aesthetic. This is really more of an experiment, hence the reason for the removable sub-baffle. But just in case it sounds superb, it needed to be domestically acceptable. So solid wood it had to be. All work in progress, I'm sure.

The problem seems to be with the wood strips you have running on the sides. I can see that they are necessary with your method of cladding MDF carcasses with solid wood, but they create shut lines with the top and side boards. Also, they create grain discontinuities.
The shut lines are featured on all Ergos with solid wood. Mind you, on these they are a smidge wider and hence more obvious. Sapele, with its strong grain, is a bitch to match and perhaps this design calls for a more plain timber such as Beech or Maple.

The fact that you have a black center and wood sides tends to draw the attention to the width of the speakers.
Given that narrow and deep loudspeakers have been the norm for the last couple of decades, anything wide is going to grab attention. I like the E-VIIIs to be proud of their girth, and not try to hide it.

I think that it would be interesting to see your speaker with a reversed colour scheme, black sides and a wood center.
Or possibly using a much darker wood.

The trapezoidal mounting plate you have chosen for the mid and tweeter is also a bit problematic since its angles are not taken up elsewhere in the speaker. How about making the angle of the trapeze the same as for the sides, IYSWIM?
I hear what you are saying, but my earlier point about this being an experimental design should explain what I've done. If the Morel/PHL combo works to my expectation and this design is replicated, there will be no need to have a separate sub-baffle.

It is with some regret that I learnt how to cut curved surfaces (repeatably) on flat boards after, and not before, I had prepared the Sapele boards. The next wide-baffle design I'll build should have less flat panels and more curves, which should soften its lines considerably.

James

Mike Hanson said:
That's why I'm inclined to sell these drivers, if someone is inclined to buy them.
I guess I could use them to build the E-VIs. How much would shipping to New Zealand cost, and what do you want for them?

James

James said:
I guess I could use them to build the E-VIs. How much would shipping to New Zealand cost, and what do you want for them?
I hadn't really considered what I might want. I haven't got the receipt handy, but I think I purchased them for approximately $200-300Cdn, which would put them at $250-375NZ. I don't know how much I would want for them. If it's too much trouble to sell them, then I might keep them, just in case (especially if I'm going to lose a bunch in the process).

As or shipping, that's almost half way around the world! I should check with a buddy of mine, as he visits NZ most winters, and I could easily drop them off at his place. Shipping them within the country would probably be much cheaper. I'll let you know.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Blimey James, they are huge.

You must have been going to the gym for weeks before lifting those up the stairs. I like the idea of cutting curved surfaces onto flat planks for future incarnations it will cetainly soften the look. Is a new machine needed for this? Look forward to reports on how they sound.

Ashley

Mike Hanson said:
I hadn't really considered what I might want. I haven't got the receipt handy, but I think I purchased them for approximately $200-300Cdn, which would put them at $250-375NZ. I don't know how much I would want for them. If it's too much trouble to sell them, then I might keep them, just in case (especially if I'm going to lose a bunch in the process).

As or shipping, that's almost half way around the world! I should check with a buddy of mine, as he visits NZ most winters, and I could easily drop them off at his place. Shipping them within the country would probably be much cheaper. I'll let you know.
Mike, I paid NZD130 each for my M26WRs, and would be happy to pay you close to that amount if you could arrange for 'cheap' shipping. Let me know when you find out. Our winter is about 6 months away so we have time on our hands.

James

AshleyD said:
Blimey James, they are huge.
Yes, they are, Ashley. I'm hoping to get a family shot of all the Ergos to date (minus the Is and IIs of course) so the comparative difference is clear for all to see. The trouble is, I might have to take them all outside to get enough space.

You must have been going to the gym for weeks before lifting those up the stairs. I like the idea of cutting curved surfaces onto flat planks for future incarnations it will cetainly soften the look. Is a new machine needed for this?
I had help, and left the skis and drivers off until I had hauled the bare cabinets upstairs. The driver cutouts also double nicely as grab-handles. As for cutting curved surfaces, I believe it is as simple as fashioning a 4-roller sled (on which the router is fastened) on a suitably curved track mounted in a box that can be repositioned progressively as each cut is made. The widest straight-cutting bit I have is 20mm, but I'm sure there are wider ones to be had.

front099vr.jpg

James

Nice idea James, hope you can make it work well. Presumably the narrower bit you have the finer the curve will be, requiring less finishing.
Ashley

AshleyD said:
Presumably the narrower bit you have the finer the curve will be, requiring less finishing.
I don't think bit width will make the finish any coarse or finer, but a wider bit would be less fiddly as it'll cut wider swarves of material (timber or MDF) per pass, and therefore over a 1m length of material, a 20mm bit should require a minimum of 50 passes, whereas a 30mm bit neccesitates 34 passes, and so it goes.

James

Well when you cut onto a curved surface the point of contact is minute so you are correct the width of the bit doesn't really matter, but the number of passes will determine the finess of the finished curve. Ah, I've just worked out you are traversing the router 90 degrees to the way I am thinking. Have you seen these?

AshleyD said:
Well when you cut onto a curved surface the point of contact is minute so you are correct the width of the bit doesn't really matter, but the number of passes will determine the finess of the finished curve. Ah, I've just worked out you are traversing the router 90 degrees to the way I am thinking. Have you seen these?
Router lathes are rather cool, but I don't even have an ordinary wood-turning one. :(

Here is the video of the curve cutting technique I found on the 'net.

clicky

James

advertisement

Back