advertisement

Yardbirds dilemma. One for Tony perhaps...

moomaloo

pfm Member
Hi all. As some of you know, I have been selling off my huge vinyl collection on eBay. It has taken a couple of years (on and off) and I've still a way to go.

Anyway, one of my main customers has bought quite a lot of LP's, both off eBay and privately from me. He pays absolutely top price for quality items and is a nice guy (but I need the money..!).

The 'problem' is that I let slip that I'm about to list on eBay my copy of the 'Five Live Yardbirds' LP and he wants it! - But... I really don't know how much to ask him for it.

It is an absolutely stunning UK first pressing. The sleeve is mint and as new and the record has been played no more than three or four times since new (in 1964!). It is very near mint and absolutely the best copy I've ever, ever seen. A real 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.

I'm happy to throw it to the mercy of eBay, but he really wants me to give him an asking price. I've not been watching the prices of Yardbirds LP's lately and I've really no idea.

Would anyone like to take a guess at its potential (i.e. silly eBay) value? It's currently booked at £120 but, bearing in mind that I sold a near-as-damn-it mint UK first pressing My Generation for £800 it's something of an unknown..!

Thanks.

I can't help with your question, but would love to know when and under what name you trade on ebay, or if you would mail me a list as and when you are about to put more on ebay - I am slowly buying more vinyl, and am very keen to buy mint or as close as possible - maybe I could buy some privately too...
Cheers
Steve

Indeed Tony! The problem is that if I insist on putting it on eBay I risk losing (or upsetting) a very good customer. Have you seen a really nice one sell recently?

A fully signed but less good condition one made £104 here which implies you might be wise to take book value if offered. How about turning the tables and asking your buyer to make an offer?

Tony.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
moomaloo said:
The problem is that if I insist on putting it on eBay I risk losing (or upsetting) a very good customer.
You could put it on eBay and tell this valued customer that if he wins it you'll give him, and him only, a 5% discount and free postage.

Could help to up the final value and will make him feel warm and special.

:D

Tony L said:
A fully signed but less good condition one made £104 here which implies you might be wise to take book value if offered. How about turning the tables and asking your buyer to make an offer?

Tony.

I saw that one. It's pretty tatty. Mine is pristine. I think I'm going to ask for £400 and see what happens...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Personally I think that is way over, but good luck with it. Getting £800 for a mint Brunswick My Generation is perhaps understandable as The Who are really hot at the moment and most titles are running over book. Clapton / Beck etc are if anything at the opposite extreme which is why I suggested taking book value (i.e. IMHO the book value is too high).

Tony.

Hmm. I wouldn't be surprised if the book value is a little out, but not that far out I wouldn't have thought (and ebay is the only way to find out). The signed copy is a red herring anyway - that moneys for the signatures not the vinyl - its not comparing like with like

Sold on Saturday for.....(long drum-roll)..... £500

So there!

(P.S. Garyi - Those Mayall LP's are worth condiderably more than shit - if they're nice early one. Monos particularly and including Mr. Clapton. I got over £100 each for mine)

advertisement

Back