advertisement

Yamaha Classics

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
Folks,

I have just won an auction for one of these ...

yamahac1.jpg

Yamaha C-1 Control Amplifier

and one of these ...

2579552_med.jpg

Yamaha M-2 Power Amplifier

Both are around 20 years old. Is there anything I should check and/or replace before using them in a second system? I've been hankering for one of the C-1s ever since I was a spotty teen, and I'll soon find out how it compares to the mighty 52.

James

Very impressed with your new (old) purchase

VU meters on a pre very cool! & the power has 3 button with cool green lights plus red led VU meters.

I sold many of the C-1 & M-2's that brings back many memories of Hi-Fi past.

All you need now is a pair of Yamaha NS-10000M speakers (not to many made) just like a NS-1000M with I think 18" bass driver.

Alan

I guess the big question is: what's the ideal source in keeping with this system? (congrats on your acquisition, BTW James. Bet the freight will cost a bit!).

I reckon a big-arsed seriously good cassette deck, or reel-to-reel would be the go - that way you can make great tapes from the LP12 or CDS2, and yet play them with that retro-cool required.

Nak or Pioneer, anyone?

Cool, seriousy cool.

Rico

Alan.

Wasnt the Yamaha 10000 series a limited run of components to cellebrate some aniversary or other?

I remember seeing them at the Heathrow show some years ago. IIRC there was a pre and power amp and a CD player as well as the speakers. £5,000 each I think.

Ive tried searching the web for them on many occasions but have never found anything.

Paul.

Originally posted by Paul Dimaline
Alan.

Wasn’t the Yamaha 10000 series a limited run of components to celebrate some anniversary or other?

Paul.

Paul,

I remember them as some special anniversary model. We had a pair on loan from Yamaha Australia (Rose Music way back then) for 6 months. Our main demo room was small ish 6m X 8m and I remember when a kick drum was hit my stomach move with the bass driver "WOW" I felt sick in that room after a few min's of a good groove track.

Not to sure about the amp's

Alan

NIce buys there! those will look (and I suspect sound) superb. THe NS1000s were, I think, made in pretty large numbers (certainly no shortage of them knoking about here in Japan), but the ones you want are the early models with the Berylium woofer (or was it tweeter :confused: ). These are, by all accounts, the squid's fleshy parts and pretty rare. Later models had oh so dull kevlar units (guess it may have been the midrange unit, then :rolleyes: ).
A big Nak tape deck and an Akai R2R are must-haves I reckon!

IIRC the tweet was Berylium - pretty flash way back when I guess - and the bass driver was 12 inches.
Had been keeping an eye out for a pair for a while. During my net trawls I got the impression they are still in production in Japan but wasn't able to confirm as their Japanese site is in Japanese for some strange and confounding reason... Anyone able to check this out - Joel perhaps??? Could easily have this arse about of course.

PS - LOVE the look of the Yammy pre! Please let us all know how they sound.

Stuart,
Thanks for the clarification. Knew it had to be one of those three ;)
I just took a look at the Yamaha website and there is no sign of the NS1000s or any other half decent looking speaker.
TBH, the times I've heard NS1000sI haven't been exactly bowled over. Then again, don't think I've heard the Beryllium model, or even a lter one in good condition. Pioneer's TAD divison still make drivers from this material. Amazingly expensive they are, too. I do have a soft spot for the big Westlakes, though. One day...

First came the NS1000. Berylium tweeter and midrange unit and a 12" paper cone bass unit. These came in a huge rosewood cabinet and had level controlls for the mid and high.

Then came the NS1000M (for monitor), same drive units and level controlls but came in a smaller black cabinet. Both were sealed box designs. I bought my pair new in the mid 80's and they cost £900 then. They gradually rose in price upto about £1600 over the next few years and sales droped of in this country. Yamaha stopped making them in the mid 90's

They are in my opinion one of the finest speakers ever made and fetch good money when they come up for sale. The last pair I came across on ebay went for £650 on a buy it now, the first day they were advertised.

The NS10000, (ten thousand) was a aniversary model and came out in the early 90's I think. I cant remember much about them but I think they may have had some sort of carbon fibre bass unit. The cabinets were rosewood and IIRC they made 5000 pairs and they sold for about £5000. The 10000 pre,power and CD player were made at the same time and were of a similar price.

If any one has any info on the 10'000 I would love to hear it. I did once find a Japanese site. but oddly enough it was in japanese!

Paul

How about an original Mission DAD7000 CD player ( about 1985 ish) to go with this?

I've had it in the classifieds for a few days, and no one seems that interested, but you can have it for free to go with such a great classic as that Yam. Just let me know if you want it.

Regards,

Colin

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas, lads.

I will almost certainly be looking to set up a vintage system in another room just for fun, and will look to buy an open reel deck when a good one turns up. Yamaha NS1000s turn up every now and then, and as long as the drivers are in good nick, I should be able to refurbish even the tattiest cabinets.

Now I just have to pay for the damn things ...

James

How about one of those yam tc800 cassette decks?(the mario bellini designed wedge shaped one),it i'll probably sound a bit crap but it'll look good with the amps:cool:.

Nope, need a CT-7000 tuner, and the matching B-1 FET amplifier. Who needs cassettes when a reel-to-reel deck is on the menu?

James

James

I would be very interested to know how your Ergo 3 compares with a vintage pair of NS1000M's

I've had my pair since 1983 and have not heard anything that I would change them for. The Harbeth Compact 7 got close but could not quite move enough air to get down to those base notes.

The 12" woofer and sealed box construction is the only way for tight base. The NS 1000 manages also to do it at a relatively high 89db/watt efficiency. I drive mie with an 82 250 with CDX XPS front end. Volume pot hardly gets past 7 o'clock.

Both the mid and tweeters are beryllium units. The only naff thing about them is the silly sprung clamp wire connectors. I have a spare pair of crossovers here which I am modifying to decent screw terminals. The crossovers are serious bits of kit in their own right I'll try and post a pic soon if I can figure out how to do it.

Eddie

Alan,

Thanks for the link. The Teac looks good, but the seller won't ship outside Oz. Besides, I'll be skint for a while after paying for the Yamahas. BTW How many of the Yamaha C-1s did you sell, and can you remember their retail price all thouse years ago?

James

These sound as though they would be perfect for Yamaha NS-1000M /NS-1000M/NS-10000M speakers I'm trying to find. Anyone selling any?
Would you partner the NS-1000's with the M-2 or B-1 power amps?
If anyone's heard these together, I'd really like to hear their comments. I'm hoping to find the best pairings for these speakers. So many choices!
(All I have to do now is find the stuff).

My deal on the C1/M2 fell through. I later found that the C1 needed a lot of work and components replaced to bring it back to full operating condition. Chances are, it won't sound the same again.

I later auditioned a pair of NS-1000Ms in my CDS2/52/135 system and found that it sounded veiled in comparison with my E-IIIs. To be fair, it was not optimally supported, but there was no denying that it sounded less clear in the middle and upper registers. No doubt the caps in the crossover were tired and needed replacement.

My lesson from these exercises is simple. Nostalgia is great for products that don't age or for products that can be brought back to original spec cost-effectively.

James

A while ago there was a pair of NS1000 crosovers for sale on ebay coplete with a photo. I have never seen a crosover like it in my life. It was more like a power supply, and a bloody big one at that. From memory there must have been at least 8 very large caps on it so no doubt a recap would pay dividends.

Paul.

PS James, how are the PFM specials comeing along?

My good friend has Yamaha 1000M. The sound and musical performance is phantastic. Few years ago we did "recapping" and they became more detailed and bass more precise. He is using them with cd 3/62/hicap/140/naca5 and i tell you this is probably one of the best sounding speakers, but you need a BIG room and i think his 140 is maybe little to small ...

I think sometimes that we are slowly entering a dark age of music reproduction - they are more and more old great components and less good new ones, one day the only chance to have a good system will be epay or diy ... :(

T.
Some pics of 1000M:
http://www.1388.com/doctor/jonopinion/11042001/
http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/speaker.html
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/higashi1701/1000M/gaiyou/1000m.jpg

advertisement

Back