advertisement

Yamaha and Dynaudio

Dongle

pfm Member
I am looking for a small system to go under my telly to handle TV/Sky/DVD duties plus streaming music from my NAS and Tidal/Internet Radio. It's a bit of an all-rounder I am looking for really. I have been using a Linn Majik DSM and AE1 Actives but barely use it so will probably move them on and save some money.

I previously owned a Yamaha RN-402D and was pretty impressed with its functionality (I just had no real use for it at the time so moved it on) and wonder how that would drive a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers that I have heard. I can't seem to get an opportunity to demo both but have heard that Dynaudios can be rather difficult to drive so wondered whether the Yamaha would do a good enough job?

Specs are here:

Yamaha: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n402d/index.html

Dynaudios: https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/emit/m10

Never really understood the whole speaker sensitivity thing and whether a lower figure means more or less sensitive, and what that means in that I should be looking for in an amp so any help much appreciated.

Thank you!

There will be many opinions on amp speaker combos I’m sure but I’ll give mine for starters.

I’m a fan of Yamaha kit so you’re probably on the right track with that model although I’ve not heard that particular one. A rating of 100 watts should be ample for the type of speaker you’re looking at.

Now for the speakers. Dynaudios higher end offerings haven’t disappointed me in the past but I have had some experience with the cheaper emits and would have to say they are not my cup of tea. Performance and build were below my expectations.

My favourite reasonably priced speakers with my Yamaha AS–500 were Monitor Audio RX2. Currently you could be looking at the smaller Silver range models which should fit the bill nicely.

Check out your local hifi store.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. I have heard the Emit M10 and must confess to being quite impressed with them but, then again, they were not on the end of the Yamaha.

If anyone has other speaker recommendations or alternative one box solutions to the Yamaha I would welcome the chance to have a look at them. The Yamaha just seems a great spec and standard for the price.

I would expect them to work well with that amp. Those Dyns are designed to be an easy load and the amp looks can handle 6ohms - 100w’s should be enough to play as loud as you would want to play those little speakers.

There is of course only one way to find out.

Most Dyns I have experienced are hard to drive and sound less than great on the end of your average amp but Dynaudio themselves literally say “The M10’s 14cm MSP mid/bass driver and 28mm soft-dome tweeter team up with a first-order crossover and a forgiving linear 6 ohm impedance that lets them play nicely with pretty much any amp you plug them into.”

How about simply a pair of active speakers. Yamaha make some decent ones, probably similar in size to the Dynaudios you have in mind. Or if budget allows, the LS50 actives...

Just an idea.

How about simply a pair of active speakers. Yamaha makes some decent ones, probably similar in size to the Dynaudios you have in mind. Or if budget allows the LS50 actives...

Just an idea.

I mentioned in my original post that I currently use a Linn Majik and active speakers to do the same as I want this to do. I rarely use that system, to be honest so it's effectively a 'downgrade' though I remember the RN402 that I had before being a surprisingly capable performer. The only notable difference I picked up between the 2 units was the software and UI which was quite incredible given the relative costs of the Linn Majik vs Yamaha.

Yamaha are great vfm products and very consistent. I own a Yamaha AS 501. Great little amp. You won’t go wrong. They may be mainstream but they have pedigree.

Yamaha are great vfm products and very consistent. I own a Yamaha AS 501. Great little amp. You won’t go wrong. They may be mainstream but they have pedigree.

They do seem to be of a very high standard. What is the quality of the DACs like used in units like that?

I use an external Dac but the internal dac is very decent(Texas instruments I seem to remember). I enjoyed the sound. As you go further up the amp ladder they include Wolfson and then Sabre in the upper range. I am looking at an AS 801 but waiting for the best price before I upgrade.

I am going to have a listen to the RN-402 today and if all good then will probably order one. It feels like a bit of a 'downgrade' from Linn/Active speakers but I simply don't use it enough to justify it and would rather bank the money I get for them.

I am going to have a listen to the RN-402 today and if all good then will probably order one. It feels like a bit of a 'downgrade' from Linn/Active speakers but I simply don't use it enough to justify it and would rather bank the money I get for them.
I moved from Naim and Spendor to Yamaha and B&W. Not regretted it at all. In fact I enjoy music much more now especially my preferred classical. It’s also about synergy. Some components seem to enjoy their relationships more than others. The Naim became unrelenting and fatiguing whereas the Yamaha displays a natural neutrality that suits a range of music well. Dynamics are decent, power is good and it doesn’t play with the presentation too much.

That's interesting and thanks for the input. I have had dalliances with Naim before and have always found it to be fatiguing no matter what it's paired with.

The Linn is much more relaxed but not to everybody's taste. Will see what today brings but as RD don't do Dynaudio I suspect I will end up listening to Dali or Q Acoustics with the Yamaha.

Appears the RN402 is discontinued though still available to order. Replacement is the RN303 which adds DAB but otherwise not a lot of reviews on.

Unsure whether to go with the 402 or the newer one. Dynaudios bought

... the Naim became unrelenting and fatiguing whereas the Yamaha displays a natural neutrality that suits a range of music well. Dynamics are decent, power is good and it doesn’t play with the presentation too much.

I'm largely in agreement with that Del.

Having just switched from Naim 282 2HC 250DR to the fraction of the price Yamaha amp I hear things that the expensive Naim kit just doesn't do.

The Yamaha has no midrange colouration which, surprisingly, lives up to their "natural sound" slogan they've used for decades. And, indeed makes music easier to listen to even if it lacks the sumptuous character of the Naim.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

What volume levels will you be listening at?
I have owned many dynaudios in the past and they generally open up at higher volume levels (hence the saying dull audio). Due to this they sound much better on the end of powerful amps with good current delivery and a clean sound.
I have also owned yamaha amps which have been generally sweet sounding, just on the rich side and very musical.
Suggest a home dem personally especially if you are used to acoustic energy speakers, much less romantic sounding than Yamaha or dynaudio.

I'm largely in agreement with that Del.

Having just switched from Naim 282 2HC 250DR to the fraction of the price Yamaha amp I hear things that the expensive Naim kit just doesn't do.

The Yamaha has no midrange colouration which, surprisingly, lives up to their "natural sound" slogan they've used for decades. And, indeed makes music easier to listen to even if it lacks the sumptuous character of the Naim.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I think it’s a cleaner, more transparent sound that is lighter on its feet than the Naim I used to use. I find it to be more adept with large orchestra and chamber than the Naim was. The Naim sounded constricted in comparison.

Pretty moderate levels to be honest so hoping the Yamaha will be a good match for them. It may make me a pariah but I am actually glad that Yamaha has tome controls as that gives me a limited ability to make any small adjustments needed.

I decided on the RN-402D despite it being the 'older' model as I'd read that the newer RN-303 had some issues with wireless connectivity. The 402D has almost universally positive reviews and the only actual difference is the inclusion of DAB on the newer model.

So - I have bought the Dynaudios this afternoon and the Yamaha being delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Appears the RN402 is discontinued though still available to order. Replacement is the RN303 which adds DAB but otherwise not a lot of reviews on.

Unsure whether to go with the 402 or the newer one. Dynaudios bought

They both rate 8/6/4/2ohms to the same degree. May as well take the one with the more useful feature set.

The dyns will of course sound better on a more powerful amp, but how far do you want to go? I’m interested to discover how you find them after you’ve spent some time with them and run them in etc.

They both rate 8/6/4/2ohms to the same degree. May as well take the one with the more useful feature set.

The dyns will of course sound better on a more powerful amp, but how far do you want to go? I’m interested to discover how you find them after you’ve spent some time with them and run them in etc.

They are pretty much like for like apart from the 303 having DAB which I won't use. I went for the 402 in the end as it's a more robust construction, though slightly more expensive, and the 303 is widely reported as having some issues with connectivity.

Am planning to set it up tomorrow and will report back after giving them a whirl for a few days. At the levels I listen to 100wpc is more than adequate and should have no issues with the M10's.

advertisement

Back