advertisement

Yamaha A-S701 Repair

Paulq2

pfm Member
I have the above amp and cannot seem to get the phono input to work. Plugging my Rega RP3 into it results in no sound at all. I have tried using an external MM stage into the amp's line inputs and that works fine so the issue isn't the turntable.

Unless I am missing something I guess I am gonna have to get it looked at and wondered if anyone can recommend somewhere in the North West to take it to at all please?

Thanks!

Talk to Yamaha. I had a problem with my 501 and they were brilliant.

Thanks I did and they put me in touch with an authorised repairer at the other end of the country. They were very helpful but to get it looked at would incur a cost of £60 + postage then the likely repair needed would be £200 + return postage. It's not in warranty so likely to be uneconomical for me to repair which is really disappointing. The rest of the amp works perfectly so I will try to move it on with a transparent appraisal of its condition - someone may either not need phono or be prepared to use an external stage.

It's a shame as I am a massive fan of Yamaha amps.

I will start to look for a new one and any suggestions of what is decent at around the £1k mark with a good (and well-implemented) DAC and phono stage would be welcome.

I have looked at the following:

Rotel A14 MkII
Rotel RA1572 Mk II
Audiolab 8300
Leak Stereo 230
Denon PMA2500NE
Denon A110

or, to replace the lot with a Simaudio Moon ACE Streamer/amp.

Then went mad and looked at the Rotel Michi X3 to get me divorced (every cloud and all that...)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was lucky. It was out of warranty and I’d sold it to somebody else. They collected it from the new owner, fixed it and returned it in two weeks.Sorry you didn’t get the same response.

Is it worth just popping the top and and reseating the phono card.

Why the hell didn't I think of that?

Just done it and the bottom connector on the phono board wasn't connected at all - loosened the board screws, seated it correctly and all is well. Working perfectly.

Saved me a few quid that - thank you so much for your common sense, simple, advice.

Vinyl now on. :)

Why the hell didn't I think of that?

Just done it and the bottom connector on the phono board wasn't connected at all - loosened the board screws, seated it correctly and all is well. Working perfectly.

Saved me a few quid that - thank you so much for your common sense, simple, advice.

Vinyl now on. :)
Omg. Love it when the fix is simple. Enjoy!

Omg. Love it when the fix is simple. Enjoy!

I will. The trouble is I spent the day looking at alternatives and/or alternative combos and you know what that means. I almost pushed the button on the new Yamaha RN2000A or Moon Neo ACE as a one boxer, but didn't......then started looking at keeping the AS701 and replacing the Node with something with a better DAC......but didn't.

But still might :).

When I decide which one.

Sorry, I mean IF I decide which one. Of course.

I will. The trouble is I spent the day looking at alternatives and/or alternative combos and you know what that means. I almost pushed the button on the new Yamaha RN2000A or Moon Neo ACE as a one boxer, but didn't......then started looking at keeping the AS701 and replacing the Node with something with a better DAC......but didn't.

But still might :).

When I decide which one.

Sorry, I mean IF I decide which one. Of course.
How do you find the 701? I almost bought one but pulled the trigger on a reduced 803D. It’s a lovely amp. I wish I could get the latest version but out of reach at this time.

How do you find the 701? I almost bought one but pulled the trigger on a reduced 803D. It’s a lovely amp. I wish I could get the latest version but out of reach at this time.

I love it to be honest and am struggling to find a reason, joking aside, to move it on and 'improve' my system as a whole. I generally like Yamaha amplifiers as I consider them to be pretty well put together and with a feature set that is hard to beat. They sound great to my ears plus I am a big believer that it's probably the part of a system that is the smallest influencer on the sound. So to some extent it's the commodity end of the system.

It's funny as you go through this thought as the end result, for me anyway, always leads me to look at the weakest part of the system and I'd have to conclude that in my case it's the Node. I use the DAC in the A-S701 and whilst it's better than the Node it's probably its weakest feature. That's what makes the new one (R-N2000A) so compelling as it looks to be a fantastic all-rounder with an excellent DAC plus the amplification of their higher-end offerings.

I am contemplating either:

1 - Keeping the A-S701 and upgrading the streamer or
2 - Selling both and buying an all-in-one. That may be the new Yamaha as I think it's probably one of the best solutions out there and has everything I want.

Long answer but the short version is 'fantastic'. :)

If you get the R-N2000A let me know what you think. I may have to start saving, though I do have some funds coming so may get it. The 803D is a lovely all in one with a nice Sabre Dac. And it powers my Maggies well. Problem is, if I get the new Yammy I’ll then feel compelled to consider the Maggie 1.7i’s. Choices, choices!

If you get the R-N2000A let me know what you think. I may have to start saving, though I do have some funds coming so may get it. The 803D is a lovely all in one with a nice Sabre Dac. And it powers my Maggies well. Problem is, if I get the new Yammy I’ll then feel compelled to consider the Maggie 1.7i’s. Choices, choices!

You're probably already aware but the new R-N line has 3 models with the R-N800A, R-N1000A and R-N2000A.

The former is much cheaper and I bet is an excellent performer in its own right.

Short update in that I took the plunge and ordered the Yamaha R-N2000A today. Really looking forward to receiving it.

Do report back on how you get on.

I think my A-S2200 is great, and am considering one of the new R-N amps (possibly the 1000) for another system.

Do report back on how you get on.

I think my A-S2200 is great, and am considering one of the new R-N amps (possibly the 1000) for another system.

Of course. I agonised over keeping the Node into one of the all analogue amps like yours but after much consideration, I am just tired of separate DACS and the like. From the spec sheet, the R-N2000A has literally everything I need and, more importantly, to a high standard. I have used MusicCast before a like it so am not losing much there. In fact, the only shortcoming I think it has is that Bluetooth is limited to SBC/AAC - but I never use it anyway.

I guess I may have stuffed myself up with upgradeitis as the only thing to tinker with now is the speakers. Ha. :)

Short update in that I took the plunge and ordered the Yamaha R-N2000A today. Really looking forward to receiving it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a great bit of kit.

In addition, for future reference, the correct way of doing things is to buy the new item to replace the "broken" one, and THEN find that you are miraculously able to repair it!

I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a great bit of kit.

In addition, for future reference, the correct way of doing things is to buy the new item to replace the "broken" one, and THEN find that you are miraculously able to repair it!

I did. I just didn't tell anyone 'til now. ;)

advertisement

Back