advertisement

Yamaha A-S3000 spares or repair

If I wasn’t reading this I would think it was describing another amp, my AS3000 only ever gets warm to the touch anywhere.

I think they might experienced some quality control issues.
Lucky you because it's a great amp.

If I wasn’t reading this I would think it was describing another amp, my AS3000 only ever gets warm to the touch anywhere.
I haven't had a single issue from my A-S3000 in my 6 years of ownership (now that I've said that it'll probably blow up tomorrow! :D). I have, however, read reports of the bias being set too high from the factory (or perhaps the trim pots get bumped during transit?), which causes it to run much hotter than it should. Mine idles around the mid-30s degrees Celsius, but IIRC @allthingsanalog measured temps so hot he couldn't keep his hand on the top plate. I'd be curious if the two problems are linked (i.e. too high bias leads to it entering protection mode)?

I haven't had a single issue from my A-S3000 in my 6 years of ownership (now that I've said that it'll probably blow up tomorrow! :D). I have, however, read reports of the bias being set too high from the factory (or perhaps the trim pots get bumped during transit?), which causes it to run much hotter than it should. Mine idles around the mid-30s degrees Celsius, but IIRC @allthingsanalog measured temps so hot he couldn't keep his hand on the top plate. I'd be curious if the two problems are linked (i.e. too high bias leads to it entering protection mode)?

From the tech guy post in the first page.

"However, I do not believe that the adjustment is changed by vibrations during transport. I think it is just a matter of quality control. Also, bias adjustment takes time. The heatsinks have to warm up until one can set the right current and this may have to be repeated because if the heatsink's temperature drops, the bias current drops as well when we are talking about bipolar power transistors (it is different for power MOSFETs)."

I did read about these issues before I bought and checked how warm it ran when I went to listen. Maybe my memory deceives me but I thought those who experienced an issue very early in their ownership were fine once sorted rather than it occurring later.

This ends soon at £700 currently. Sounds like the Bias may have been set too high from the factory on later models leading to the problems? Should it be avoided?

I use a 1978 Yamaha amplifier Daily (V-fet B-2 and it's bulletproof, I know I shouldn't have said that...) Eek.

Well, I watched the end of the bid, £730 until 1 min then £740 and I expected the typical last 15 seconds flurry when it jumped to £1100ish and then was pipped by a pound or two. High price for a paperweight but low price if the repair is easy, shame about the scratches on front and rear that the photos showed though, couldn’t see the polished wood sides to see how they are.

Well, I watched the end of the bid, £730 until 1 min then £740 and I expected the typical last 15 seconds flurry when it jumped to £1100ish and then was pipped by a pound or two. High price for a paperweight but low price if the repair is easy, shame about the scratches on front and rear that the photos showed though, couldn’t see the polished wood sides to see how they are.

Probably end up getting re-listed or sold on, £1100 for a non working amp? Madness.

Did anyone of you guys grab the amp ?

No not me but I did buy a new Yam AS 501 last week which sounds fantastic so goodness knows how good those big Yamaha amps sound, they must sound extraordinarily good.

Anyone have any idea what was wrong with the amp ie is it a simple fix? I’m sure whoever bought it must know what’s wrong with it and the cost to repair it or are able to fix it themselves.

Sending it to a Yamaha service centre and getting it fixed for anything under a grand would still result in it being the cheapest one ever I think.

No not me but I did buy a new Yam AS 501 last week which sounds fantastic so goodness knows how good those big Yamaha amps sound, they must sound extraordinarily good.

Anyone have any idea what was wrong with the amp ie is it a simple fix? I’m sure whoever bought it must know what’s wrong with it and the cost to repair it or are able to fix it themselves.

Not really, pretty average and certainly not as powerful as the physical size suggests. My Creek Evolution 100a easily betters it for SQ and grip and the Evo is physically tiny in comparison. For similar money, the Hegel H390 and TOTR Primare amplifiers will better it considerably and no doubt many others. That said, a nice unit to own and should prove a reliable performer for many years.

I looked at the A-S3000 when I fancied a new amp and the more I looked into them the more I thought...... Not even with a short barge pole ;)

They've had that no power up issue since day 1 of release and a complete nightmare to fix and even then its not guaranteed to last.

advertisement

Back