advertisement

Y splitter RCA I/Cs or switchbox?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
I've got a recent lash-up to improve my TV sound, which comprises a cheap rem./controlled amp (Auna), Chord Chorus I/Cs ex this parish and a couple of throwaway speakers with Virgin box on top. Works well, but I need an RCA male line out to two female RCAs (x two) so that I can keep this and my hifi I/Cs always connected rather than plug/unplug (awkward).

These Y connectors are cheap but switchable ones (boxes) not and also have unnecessary vol. pot's etc. Would there be any diminution of s.q. by having a Y connector? It's only TV, so I'm not that fussy about s.q., assuming volume isn't affected (unlikely, I'd think). I'd only use one I/C at any one time (Either TV amp or main rig).

blob

I suppose what I need to know is whether having a splitter on a line out signal is going to affect the sound in any way; only one of the two female RCAs will be used at one time. Really don't want a box of tricks for this simple job.

I suppose what I need to know is whether having a splitter on a line out signal is going to affect the sound in any way; only one of the two female RCAs will be used at one time. Really don't want a box of tricks for this simple job.
Not if you don't load the other connection. Be sure to power off before swapping!

I've got a recent lash-up to improve my TV sound, which comprises a cheap rem./controlled amp (Auna), Chord Chorus I/Cs ex this parish and a couple of throwaway speakers with Virgin box on top. Works well, but I need an RCA male line out to two female RCAs (x two) so that I can keep this and my hifi I/Cs always connected rather than plug/unplug (awkward).

These Y connectors are cheap but switchable ones (boxes) not and also have unnecessary vol. pot's etc. Would there be any diminution of s.q. by having a Y connector? It's only TV, so I'm not that fussy about s.q., assuming volume isn't affected (unlikely, I'd think). I'd only use one I/C at any one time (Either TV amp or main rig).
TV's and even AV boxes are generally (electrically) noisy.

QED line-level and tape switching units pop up regularly on eBay for about £10, sometimes less:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Be sure to power off before swapping!
Thanks Gav; D'you mean to ensure that the amp not being used is off? The TV line out is constantly active. At the mo' I simply plug/unplug whichever I/C is needed and haven't really paid heed to whether my can amp (which has TV I/Cs always in) and/or my 'new TV amp is off.

Tempted by Tuga's eBay link to QED switch box as that may be the safer way to go but still prefer not to have to site another box on my TV table.

QED line-level and tape switching units pop up regularly on eBay for about £10, sometimes less:
Thanks for that; hadn't thought to look up 'tape switching units' on eBay. Tempting as a possibly safer way but presumably I plug the TV into 'amp. in' and my two I/Cs (TV and can amp ) into 'tape out 1 & 2.

Sorry about this, but one tends to lose the plot after 8 decades !

Thanks for that; hadn't thought to look up 'tape switching units' on eBay. Tempting as a possibly safer way but presumably I plug the TV into 'amp. in' and my two I/Cs (TV and can amp ) into 'tape out 1 & 2.

These QED boxes are passive work both ways 2in>1out or 1in>2out.

Or one of these……

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Or one of these……
Thanks for that; appreciated, but I see its 4 in and one out (to amp). I need one in (from TV) and two out to amplifiers. I'm still struck by the simple I/C splitter for 2 reasons: (a) I don't need to find a space for another box on my crowded TV table (currently with amp and Virgin box under and speakers slightly off-board in line with TV width. (b) because I won't need yet another I/C as the splitter cable plugs into my TV directly.

I've no idea whether s.q. will be compromised or attenuated by this, but an above poster has said it'll be okay providing I don't have both amps on concurrently, which wouldn't happen anyway.

Thanks for that; appreciated, but I see its 4 in and one out (to amp). I need one in (from TV) and two out to amplifiers. I'm still struck by the simple I/C splitter for 2 reasons: (a) I don't need to find a space for another box on my crowded TV table (currently with amp and Virgin box under and speakers slightly off-board in line with TV width. (b) because I won't need yet another I/C as the splitter cable plugs into my TV directly.

I've no idea whether s.q. will be compromised or attenuated by this, but an above poster has said it'll be okay providing I don't have both amps on concurrently, which wouldn't happen anyway.
An SP 19 will work in reverse as well. You can connect the tv to the input and use the switch to select amplifiers. They do not affect sound quality - one of these with a cheap pot-in-the-box makes a fine, if inelegant, passive pre amp.

You can connect the tv to the input and use the switch to select amplifiers.
D'you mean to connect TV to the stated (amp) output and use the 3 inputs for amps out? I suppose if it's simply a passive switching device the marked ins and outs are irrelevant. I've never had one before so don't know how they're configured. I'd still need a further I/C, though, which is a consideration versus the Y connector.

D'you mean to connect TV to the stated (amp) output and use the 3 inputs for amps out? I suppose if it's simply a passive switching device the marked ins and outs are irrelevant. I've never had one before so don't know how they're configured. I'd still need a further I/C, though, which is a consideration versus the Y connector.
Exactly that. Just think of it as a 4 way selector. You can have 4 sources and 1 amp or 4 amps and one source.

I used to use one to switch between active speakers and a power amplifier in my main system.

I bought this one and used it backwards to switch between 4 cassette decks. Now it's on 3 turntables. Was a bit cheaper when I got it though.

I bought this one and used it backwards to switch between 4 cassette decks
Looks exactly the same as the SP19 linked above but a heck of a lot pricier than eBay offers (though they could be used).

advertisement

Back