advertisement

XPS2 ringing like a bell, but it's not the case.

For future reference, A4 spine bar binders work really well as replacement case de-ringing tools. Need cutting in half.

db293101co.jpg

Bloody hell! I've just been playing some music and the damn ringing is back. It seems tapping on the case is now fine, still some resonance, but no where near as bad as before. However, when I play music it seems to again resonate when there's a lot of upper frequencies in the music such as electric guitar, female vocals etc. The damping I applied has helped in the sense it's not as loud as previously, but it's still there!
Am I being over zealous about this or am I right to think a case shouldn't be singing along to the music?

Rick,

Again, the plastic sliders on the back panel of some olive gear will stop the ringing but only for a few minutes until gravity pulls them back down preventing them from touching (and damping) the underside of the case sleeve. As you've also discovered, bits of paper will compress and stop damping as they lose contact with the case. As mentioned earlier, the best solution is damping the cases with a cd or two in their jewel boxes siting side-by-side (not stacked) atop the case or a small, paperback book atop each case. This will stop the ringing. If you still hear ringing after this, the problem is elsewhere like an unloaded glass shelf, wine glasses, etc.

Sharp hand-claps near the boxes will reveal the source of ringing or better yet, the family dog barking on command near the boxes does best IMO. Regardless, either technique is still superior to short blasts of music as you don't have to fiddle with controls while tracking down the problem's source. Most dogs will also be grateful for the work and treats.

regards,

dave

PS: Fox's suggestion would probably do as well as anything else provided the spine bar binders grip tightly and don't slide down like the ones supplied by Naim (Naim's dampers are probably the same thing TBH.) Alternatively, an email to Naim at [email protected] might help with other ideas. Just tell them the component model numbers involved when you email.

I have looked at this thread , its got to be a wind up. If it isnt then I wish the OP well and hope he never has to change a punctured tyre:D

Thanks Dave for your suggestions. I'll sort it out somehow!

Not quite sure what zener is referring to regarding a punctured tyre. I can only guess if he ever had to change one he'd replace it with a cast iron version. :)

You could stick Dynamat sheets on the inside of the case - a product that is designed to do the job, albeit typically for car audio or computer vibration reduction.

If stuck on the inside, all those matting products like dynamat will impede the sled's ability to go into the sleeve of the naim box. It could go on the outside underside but it really needs to go top and bottom. Bituminised sheeting is also used in loudspeakers and to silence aircon ducting.

I'd half jokingly suggest someone uses builder's foam filler (celotex etc) pushed into a hole in the back and then filled up like so much cavity wall insulation*, but some audiophool may actually be stupid enough to try it!

*Pls note I did NOT suggest this.

I've tried using marble tea coasters but do agree something like dynamat will probably be far better.

advertisement

Back