advertisement

Xero or Motive 3?

krosidja

I can listen to the RS1 and Epic2 at my local dealer. But for some reasons I really want to buy either the Xero or the Motive 3 for my Brio-R. Which I can not listen to before I buy. So which one do you think will be the best for my little amp? I know, allways listen before you buy. But I just have this feeling about these two babies and I´m willing to take the chance.
Sorry :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance for any help/input.

Motive 3's are punchy, lively, snappy, bassy and exciting for a small box. The complete opposite to something like the Spendor SA1. Voiced with Naim amps and not the last word in finesse or imaging. I much preferred them to Totem rainmakers too. If that suits your ears and music tastes then book in. Have to confess to not having heard the Xero. Maybe someone else can assist.

It's not correct to say they are voiced with Naim amps, Bob uses a lot more kit than just Naim, but the Motive 3's do sound great on the end of a UnitiQute.

The Xero is a great little speaker and also sounds great with Naim amplification.
I have owned Xeros and a Brio-R but sadly not at the same time, however I think that either of these will be a great match.

You should be able to get Xeros for £100 or so less than Motive 3's which might help swing it.

Xeros are a great speaker - but not if your room is very small, that rear port will catch you out, they produce more bass than you think!

Tim

Ive had Xeros also. Fab little speakers, found them quite fussy on positioning (its that port thing). Get them right and they are brill. Not heard the Motive 3.

Same here, better tonal balance than Motive2
Require a gutsy amp but will work with BrioR
The biwire link is a pain in the a** though

Hi

I have a pair of Leema Xeros at the end of my sound system for two years and I think they are fantastic, there is anything that I could wish for . So far no plans to replace them :) Never heard the Neat Motive 3, so I can't compare them to the Leemas.

The Leema Xero sound dynamic, fast, detailed, refined, got a nice tone and a great tweeter too :)

I don't have issues with speaker placement or boomy bass. My speakers are placed 24cm away from the rear wall, my living room is small (5x3 sequare metres). I use very heavy speaker stands (40 kg each one :D). As a amplifier I use a Rega Brio (the first one) and it is able to drive the Leemas properly, I replaced the speaker jumpers with NAC A5 speaker cable and the sound improved a lot.

Great price here (new)

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Leema_Acoustics_Xero_Loudspeaker_LEE-XERO

If you intend to buy the Leemas on second hand you may be lucky an find
some on ebay for less money.

Anyway, I think you should listen to the Leemas and the Motive 3 ( and others) and see which one suit your taste better.

Good luck :)

Have searched about the entire internet to buy a pair of the Xero´s in oak or walnut.
Just to find out that Leema don´t make them anymore. You can only buy them in gloss black, white or zebrano. Nothing on fleabay either.
But I do saw a pair of almost new/mint tasty looking Spendor S3/5R2 at £600. Do you think thats a good price for these babies, incl. boxes, manuel etc etc?
And will they be a good match for the Brio-R? Or do the Spendor´s needs some more juice to really sing? I very rarely listen at headbangers level.
Thanks as allways.

Krosidja, if the Spendor 5R2s are the ones currently on eBay then please take a look at the classifieds here on PFM - they are both my adverts and I am asking £100 less on here!

Having owned both these and the Leemas, the Spendors are more refined and less fussy on location (sealed box). The Leemas can sound more exciting, but are harder to get the right positioning.

A Brio-R will power either just fine.

advertisement

Back