advertisement

WTD Black analogue(ish) Tuner, esp. around Norfolk area.

Mike Reed

pfm Member
Currently have NAD 402, but dislike function (and it's not black) but love its s.q., which I find comparable to my previous 01 (yes, really !). I have a 6 element ext. aerial, so sensitivity no prob. though higher output into pre. of >0.75 V would be good, as also condition.

I'm looking for anything black, pref. with illuminated tuning dial and signal meters, but even at the Technics 260L(2) level (which doesn't have these but does have exc. s.q.) but upwards through Sansui, etc. to higher stuff.

I've had a lot of tuners over 50+ years and have never been without one. Current use doesn't merit a megabucks machine (hence sale of 01 3 years ag) but s.q. is important (into top EAR pre. or Myryad can amp).

Ebay is tempting and local Emporium hifi have a couple of contenders but thought I'd try pfm.

Hi Mike, hope you're well. Not sure if it is the sort of thing you're looking for but I have an Akai AT-93 languishing under the sofa at present, where it has remained unused for some time. I haven't used a tuner (other than internet radio) for some years now and you'd be welcome to borrow it to try it if you wanted to, to see if you wanted to buy it. I could drop it in to you the next I am passing through Norwich on the way to visiting my parents. It is a great sounding tuner, was from Akai's 'Reference Master' range from the late 80s. Drop me a PM to discuss if you like.
All the best,
Chris

PS - just noticed the preference for analogue(ish) so not sure if the Akai would suit.
PPS - you'd also be welcome to borrow it until something you do want comes along to buy, just let me know if so

Hi Mike, hope you're well.

Ditto you, Chris. I shall do research and get back to you, so thanks for the important trial offer !

I've got a black Meridian 504 tuner for you to consider..

Ta. Again, shall do research.

My NAD still performs very well so I'm not destitute. It was a cheapo Ebay purchase to tide me over after selling the 01 but I was amazed when I found myself listening to more radio (well, twice a week for music).

I have a Sony ST-J88B in sort of mid grey. A superb tuner, used to have the matching preamp.
Available to you Mike for free, just pay the shipping.

Mike, I have an Arcam Alpha 3 (black) in the loft, which I’ll never use. It’s digital presets but has a signal strength meter. Sounded very good and nice and compact. You can have it for postage if it would work for you.

I have a Sony ST-J88B in sort of mid grey.
Mike, I have an Arcam Alpha 3 (black) in the loft,

Thanks Russell and Ponty, for your kind offers. Two more tuners to enjoy researching. Starbuck is quite local to me and we haven't met up in a while, so it seems a good opportunity to live with his Akai for a short while to see. It's all about s.q, in the end, I s'pose.

Shall p.m. you both when I know how things are, and appreciate your offers.

Mike.

Mike - what’s the top of your budget?
Like you I’ve tried more tuners than I can remember (inc NAT01) but the Meridian 504 is excellent sq. If you really can’t live with a digital display then the best analogues I’ve owned are the 1980s Sansui TU range. Pioneers of the same era are great but they won’t meet your brief of being black

if you love the NAD sq you might find you have to spend a lot beating it and meeting all your criteria (minimum Sansui TU-517 I suggest). Or just try a TU-217 - they are cheap and re-sellable

Good luck!

Mike - what’s the top of your budget?

Don't really have one, Nick, and I know you've had a fair bit of tuner experience. I had Pioneer TX 95??, Revox and Stereofetic in my early 70s college 3 years alone; got bogged down in the 80s by going the Naim route !.

Good suggestions above, but I was recently very tempted by a Mag-Dyna 101A on a forum sale but it, like many, are 110 V and the paraphernalia involved in conversion defeats the purpose of direct mains for s.q. It simply looked like the perfect partner to my EAR pre so I was also swayed by aesthetics. My NAD 402 still works well, albeit with an occasional hum when turned off (! Has been known) but either tuning dial and/or presets for me, not up/down buttons.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the generosity above but shall borrow the Akai as it's local. Such a pity that tuners are no longer a consideration for hifi, but there are many reasons, of course, not least needing a decent external aerial for optimum results, but 'twas always so.

advertisement

Back