advertisement

Wrist watch lovers?

Andrew,

I appreciate a nice watch — I have an Omega from 1961 I bought for a few hundred clams — but different thickness very expensive watches depending on shirt worn? That’s nutter territory.

Maybe you’re right this thread isn’t for me.

Joe
Hi Joe

Wasn't meant to be directed at you personally:D. My nose may be pressed against the glass, but I'm not buying either! But I certainly think a nice vintage Omega is altogether a better watch to own, if you like mechanical, than an overpriced designer brand that has no history and uses fairly bog standard bought in movements. They are truly Veblen goods with the price set to imply a quality and pedigree they don't really have. A Patek or Piguet, or VC watch may be far more expensive, but at least you are getting something with both a pedigree and a high level of watchmaking craftsmanship.

Seiko and Orient, all in-house movements if that is important.

Personally, I have no problems with trusty, tested and reliable ETA's or Selitas.

Andrew,

I once smashed my head against the glass at a jewellery shop while trying to get a better look at a fancy watch. In my defence, the glass was spotless and nearly invisible. It was more like one of those force fields in Star Trek that keeps Khan locked in the brig.

If this ever happens to you may I suggest that the trick is making it look as though you had meant to smash your head into the glass. However, if you happen to be in the brig on ol’ NCC-1701 I’m really not sure what to suggest.

Joe

Andrew,

I once smashed my head against the glass at a jewellery shop while trying to get a better look at a fancy watch. [...]

If this ever happens to you may I suggest that the trick is making it look as though you had meant to smash your head into the glass.

Joe
Just a note of caution: don't make it look like you were deliberately smashing your head against the glass in a jeweller's window in order to break it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not sure. My 'smart' watch is a Revue Thommen Airspeed, which is <40mm so a fair bit smaller and I'm not really a fan of large chunky watches. I'd have to see it on, I think.

Any love for Farer watches on here? They keep cropping up on my facebook feed and look rather nice.

They look really nice and keep getting them on my FB feed. When I was getting my new watch earlier this year I read a few forums and they all seemed to consider the Farer watches overpriced.

Cheers BB

They look really nice and keep getting them on my FB feed. When I was getting my new watch earlier this year I read a few forums and they all seemed to consider the Farer watches overpriced.

Cheers BB
Fair enough, not in the market for a watch, but they just looked nice.

He's an "ambassador" for Rolex, translated I presume that means he gets a nice big Rolex as a freebie providing he wears it, obviously in public. A tailor made dress shirt to show it off nicely seems a small price to pay!

Agreed. Mind you, I strongly suspect neither SJS or any of the current crop of those Rolex Ambassadors would be bothered stopping by to pick up the watch if that was all they got out of the deal :)

Agreed. Mind you, I strongly suspect neither SJS or any of the current crop of those Rolex Ambassadors would be bothered stopping by to pick up the watch if that was all they got out of the deal :)
Absolutely. Any celeb endersement these days has to be paid for in proper money, not just handing over the item and saying "we don't want it back, just be seen out and about with it on".

You’re probably right although sjs is probably getting a little long in the tooth as celebs go these days and a new Rolex every couple of years, with perhaps something nice for Lady S, and the the previous model as an extra Xmas present for one of the boys..... not to be sniffed at...

Here are a few pics of the Conquest and first, a couple more of the 65 Heritage. - Unfortunately not Rolex or PP but it's all I can afford. - I hope the blue tint is visible this time ... ;

Oris Heritage 65 Diver 40mm

Longines Conquest 39mm

I promise ... no more pics of these two :D

Please post yours ...

I know the feeling. But my brother in law has a perpetual calendar (lovely Patek, nothing but the best for him:rolleyes: ) and even he admits unless you are prepared to wear it all the time or faff about keeping it on an autowinder, it’s a pita resetting all the calendar details if you let it run down.

I have a Ulysses Nardin perpetual (nearly 20 years old when they made classy watches not door stops) and it is not difficult to reset. A fairly pleasurable few minutes at most.

It just so happens TGV mentioned this watch in his latest Youtube video. 45mm case is way too big for me but maybe not too big for some(one called Steve)

Interesting video that..but.. it strikes me that once any of those mechanical chronos get to the problematic running / 'needs a service' point (which they all do within a matter of years) - then they'll be uneconomical to repair ie Toast.

I realise I'm probably about to lower the tone here, but any love for Bulova? I could be tempted by their Apollo 15 moon watch as a 'daily driver'. It's quartz, but pretty cool, I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FSM4SMU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Looks cool and Bulova have a long pedigree, and still have a good reputation for value for money. The quartz movements they use are good quality precision items, s far more accurate than most mechanical watches can ever hope to be!

Quite chunky though, 45mm dia. 1.7cm thick.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am a vintage watch guy, can never seem to be able to get along with new watches. But the Longines Heritage models are sorely tempting me. They make really nice reissues of their vintage models at reasonable price points. I am particularly taken by the last two.

heritage_fake-L3.774.4.50.0-350x720.png

heritage_fake-L2.822.4.56.2-292x600.png

heritage_fake-L2.819.4.93.2-350x720.png

heritage_fake-L2.816.4.53.2-350x720.png

Interesting video that..but.. it strikes me that once any of those mechanical chronos get to the problematic running / 'needs a service' point (which they all do within a matter of years) - then they'll be uneconomical to repair ie Toast.

Yeah, I guess that's a factor for all chronographs and, I suppose, all watches in general around that price point. Does one simply let it tick tock till it's toast or pony up and pay for servicing? Now that's what I call a dilemma!

advertisement

Back