advertisement

Wrist watch lovers?

You may be correct, plenty of people looking for "birth year" watches.

Growing affluence in China is fuelling demand for new luxury goods, maybe this has a knock-on effect on the vintage market?

Plus little interest on money sat boringly in savings.
Absolutely this IMO. Middle aged wealth coming out to play, banks are a waste of time, so it's cars, jewellery and watches. Motorbikes to a lesser extent because fewer people can use them, and bizarrely not hifi but big tellies are all the rage. Anyone who wants to can collect watches, you can store the value of my house in a shoebox, very easily. You might have to invest £200 or so in a safe for the insurers.

Also, there has been a huge increase in ‘lifestyle’ culture in the uk. Old and custom motorbikes, classic and modified cars, hipster clothing etc, trendy vinyl.

This is true, Alan. I've always been attracted to the vintage end of things - classic stuff that's usually of marginal interest to most folk. Unfortunately this has become more mainstream with the consequent rise in demand and prices. Things that used to be fun for me because they were niche, not really popular and therefore reasonably priced have come exorbitant (IMO) thus destroying all the fun for me. First it was mid-century furniture, then vinyl records, then vintage and military watches, ...god knows what next, Anglepoise lamps?? :(:p

They're finally coming round to our way of thinking (apart from the hipster clothing, obviously..) :)

That's really nice, bazza. I didn't know they made a version like this (am more familiar with the Lemania 5100 driven ones). I've always liked Sinn watches, they seem very 'technical' with no extraneous frills and I've handled quite a number. But somehow they don't connect with me emotionally so I've never gotten one. Still, I'll take Sinn over, say, a modern IWC or Tag Heuer any day.

Here is another one for ya my Sinn EZM13 it has a modded 7750 movement with a 60 min chrono
500m WR plus Argon gas filled

This is true, Alan. I've always been attracted to the vintage end of things - classic stuff that's usually of marginal interest to most folk. Unfortunately this has become more mainstream with the consequent rise in demand and prices. Things that used to be fun for me because they were niche, not really popular and therefore reasonably priced have come exorbitant (IMO) thus destroying all the fun for me. First it was mid-century furniture, then vinyl records, then vintage and military watches, ...god knows what next, Anglepoise lamps?? :(:p
Nah, lava lamps maybe...

That's really nice, bazza. I didn't know they made a version like this (am more familiar with the Lemania 5100 driven ones). I've always liked Sinn watches, they seem very 'technical' with no extraneous frills and I've handled quite a number. But somehow they don't connect with me emotionally so I've never gotten one. Still, I'll take Sinn over, say, a modern IWC or Tag Heuer any day.

This the watch we got me into Sinn watches I first seen it back in 98 and got hold of one in 08 its the
Sin EZM2 GSG9 again its oil filled watch so the case is WR to over 11km's :)

Nice, I do like Sinn's, they seem to be an enthusiasts watch and a bit under the radar for anyone else. Especially like your EZM13.

I've had a couple of 7750 based watches, an Oris that's been long gone and a Breitling Blackbird that I've still got. It's one of the few Breitlings that I like...

31331784173_26cf33d902_z.jpg

41989610672_f3ab45cf43_z.jpg

Plus little interest on money sat boringly in savings.

This is absolutely right.

A few years ago my brother converted a big chunk of his savings to clocks. Specifically pre 1800 London clocks, mostly long case. He reckons he's getting at least a 10 - 15 % pa growth on average, plus the pleasure of having some beautiful pieces of mechanical and woodworking art around.

Personally, when I visit, the ticking (actually , it's more like clunking on some of them ) and chiming drives me nuts for a couple of days, but then I tune it out. And he's leaving me a couple of them, which is nice.

Nice, I do like Sinn's, they seem to be an enthusiasts watch and a bit under the radar for anyone else. Especially like your EZM13.

I've had a couple of 7750 based watches, an Oris that's been long gone and a Breitling Blackbird that I've still got. It's one of the few Breitlings that I like...

That's a nice 'clean' looking Oris, functional yet understated.

Despite being a lifelong car/boat/airplane head - and presumably right in the middle of the target market, I could never warm to Breitlings. One thing that always strikes me is how fussy they look - just too much stuff going on, which I always found a distraction when it came to using any of the individual functions.

Interesting how much more readable the Oris is, and yet the only substantial difference in functionality between the two watches is the tachymeter scale on the Breitling.

I would have kept the Oris but couldn’t live with the way the subdial cuts into the 10 o’clock numeral. That’s a pet hate of mine. Funny how small design elements can make a big difference.

That would bug the bejeebus out of me too. Now that you've mentioned it - I'll probably have to add that to the list of must-not-haves in a watch :)

Love both but prefer the plain face with no extra fiddly dials and buttons.....horses for courses I guess.

I am using these two at the mo though either may go once the Avenger arrives.....I only have one watch arm!

x5eyXbRkbHvJ7OoBRraYQGBXfdfu-XfGRbnqVpKTTF7otTOxDy8IVq0DqwqTQoia3pjb1ek5IduxbqVEOEgwZ8K9dcJkK8lAZv1T2nenIuTXaZRgv3dWUxIAhsK398cTgpEsf2aSqr7VMg9IZBtdjm6bCg19QUB8wCWbp3yIWmNR9YtqMYF0442OOT9fFLlW8DkF4wCCgB6EmN5B3Wbko99mkLTLcqlYs-p_SFUxMuUJ2bwW-AEkWBHNQUXoe3bDrNqH2ORovDZgUXV6TX-6_4lzvCRLLjVVlB1Tf_0iT2KfRrrSXuH7lTZSbs7W9D6BFYHEM77hi5XFF5egrWareh6F36S4XzqCfsNwZlGHyBRBU8FA5cl8neRI0_iVtSEnj7XYjerF2CB8ddDWykhoRdCbH5WMvgLyUQC6RByclEAr_pE7OYPSEok_paU4y9u_Nf773dyQdnboN4P9XqHlWMIkYkW4OM2gVMZfoRIrYbKgRrA_a7eJrCIPU5Us--J5_1lTxoP9YuHanioWwVUmaR7dMc77bXZH69ZHV-_YJTu11xGNd7A4b95pHAadr5qwH35DtxfNTc3wgU29LxD7foFQPc4TjZuMNjCfnjoRzXl-VreM64T4Z_lnZ4jYKF3LrT8hbYf_pu082L9Iq6xHj_XqDA=w660-h879-no

MFtl37ilO4A570KFrGiCpHGXorTY4KhXf64haH5vzbILdlq4oQY5xnYXtrep-toM4Jq8UT1H9NH3vfg9xci05eb0PpJSK9SPdHnYtH5E0w8aQpacqwUIlfxUkMm0enMgd_MlWgGG4STZOLu6Vqwv6nijJDf1GpsiIz0lxZ5Czuqz-M5JZB81cOvw25cJ87y4Y6PLDi8ygqHey-EPijCtIFdz7v19ci4Dmd3akNVcf_KPGRR-MJgH9k1myHoFB_G19Du-FkSNRh6yUe1Yu1_nnTkAMRb9iZMCZYC4UJ3fb2i-HoV-gDRsY0OXYTjL5NffFJhCSNGqMiCE1_e8tCFfc1DUBHU6wl4JH0yGgGtz0tJTlGUypbJrOEs07pKGy6WvcN9-i_Jedq4M-0yYKsxFCuQ3_ZCxCWUxUSxIt0Q8w14BaRu2siIR-e-3ShLO7EkcT8cm0E0tEwA9iI9RFa4FwTgGrGI53qA2OR-QbcSe4qoMVeGQ9mHMNbm3Hckz_MP6yNOqokXgMAW68Kovvi5HhZxJOuLC5p3yKNcmoDHxeQGdvyEdsyCBCtpqb4ZxXZ7hhCENOvX_SOaNIxQr2Y49feKcjdbn99jWfimsy1cu7-TZTru5XYE5ujibKdnXWvJCyFuzcwdQi0cvprZajzI4GeSUng=w660-h879-no

I like both of those. Nice and clear, and uncluttered. One sporty, one dress. I'm a Seiko fan, inhouse movements, massive choice, great value. I just looked at a really nice Laco Flieger, I was admiring it until I realised that the snk 805 on my wrist was identical but for a rivetted strap. The Laco is Eu 900, the Seiko £60 plus the strap. You choose. ETA movement o r Seiko and save £800? Ooh, tough one.

Yeah - that Tissot's a damn elegant timepiece. The guard round the winder makes it look slightly less 'wimpy' than your average dress watch too.

I've not seen that Oris before. It's cool and looks very much like the 1990s IWC Flieger Chrono except for the colored hands. It probably costs quite a fair bit less I suspect.

P1281043.jpg

Speaking of design elements that bug you, the cut-off '10' is ok to me but the usual layout of watches that use the Valjoux 7750 (& there are very many chronos that use this base movement) does bother me. I much prefer the symmetric layout of the sub-dials like in the Speedy Pro. It's no surprise that I've never owned a 7750 based watch.

You can look a it another way - the line of symmetry on the Valjoux 7750 is the horizontal 9-3 axis, with the date window and winder sitting on it, and all of the sub-dials and pushers balanced nicely either side of it.

It's the Speedy that lacks true symmetry :)

advertisement

Back