advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

That may be true, but the adrenalin hit as you weave your way through the traffic in the city lasts an awful lot longer.
My 2 year recovery took a little while, as did the 4 years and 6 months until the insurance company agreed to pay up. I still ride a bike, and go climbing, and drive cars other than Volvo estates with airbags for every passenger, the shopping in the back and a few passing dogs.

Until it's found out what caused the crash, either through systems analysis or investigation the plane's should be pulled. Any operator not pulling tone leaves themselves open to massive legal action should another go down.

AF447 suffered pitot tubes blocked by ice, and they are heated.

Indeed but neither the Lion Air nor the Ethiopian Airlines crash is not associated with pitot tube problems.

Two in the front, one in the back.

Not the case apparently :-

'There are five sets of pitot tubes on the 737, organized into two groups, the pitot tubes on the nose are used for airspeed measurements, independent for the pilot and copilot and one as a backup. There are two pitot tubes on the tail that are for the "elevator feel and centering unit" '

CHE

AF447 was found to be iced pitot tubes (air speed indicators). I believe investigation / speculation on the 737 is focused on the angle of attack AoA sensor. Allegedly a single AoA provides input to new software (MCAS) that deals with stability issues inherent in the new variant (due to larger engines placed further forward). Failure of that AoA could cause a nose down condition that could be hard for pilots to counteract. Boeing was apparently planning a mandatory update to the system anyway.

It all smells a bit fishy - I think grounding until the latest crash is investigated is a reasonable precaution.

No, I wouldn't. But then it's my avowed intent never to fly anywhere again. I spent a large part of my working lfe travelling the world on business. I really have no desire at all to travel far ever again. Car and train are fine for me.

It might be still safer statistically than driving or cycling but increased caution is definitely warranted I believe

Ref quote from Forbes article:

1. The MAX is a brand new aircraft type with limited operating history. Unlike previous-generation 737s, investigators cannot point to decades of safe flight by the model. To the contrary, 0.5% of the MAXs delivered to customers have now crashed in the first two years of service – giving it by far the worst safety record of any modern (or not-so-modern) jet

It might be still safer statistically than driving or cycling but increased caution is definitely warranted I believe
Absolutely and quite right too. However the question was "would you fly?" and the point I am making is that the worst commercial aircraft is still safer than a car in terms of time spent in it per fatality. If you are prepared to do 10000 miles pa in a car, which is about 300 hours, then your exposure to death and injury by this route vastly exceeds that in an aircraft. On that basis my reasoned answer is yes.

This is not to say that the situation should not be investigated but to say that I won't get too concerned about my car's NCAP rating if I spend most weekends motorcycling, rock climbing or parachuting.

By definition not normal circumstances.

AF447 suffered pitot tubes blocked by ice, and they are heated.

Two in the front, one in the back.
Angle of attack sensors are different to pitot tubes though. And even so, being located in different positions doesn't explain why, being heated, two would ice up and a third not.

It's all in Boeing's statement yesterday that they have 'Complete confidence in the airworthiness etc.. blah..' of the 737Max-8. How the hell can they iuntil they know what happened?

The second crashed plane clearly nose dived near vertically into the ground. Engine failure, mid air break up, a bomb, etc., would all have resulted in a wider debris field and'/or a less vertical fall. This is obvious to anyone with even a laymen's knowledge.
The plane was being controlled by something. Either a rogue control system, or a suicidal pilot. My money's on the former.
Planes don’t just nosedive in the event of an engine failure, it might still land in the sea or fly into terrain if it doesn’t have sufficient height to glide to a runway, so I very much doubt it has anything to do with the engines. I very much agree that a sensor/control surface failure is more likely.

Boeing refuse to ground them

So Trump does it!

Well done Pres.

All 737 max grounded world wide.

advertisement

Back