advertisement

Would you fly on this plane?

And yet at the initial air show displays, I think everyone was singing its praises.

Those comments would have been simply based on the fact that it was 737 that promised better fuel consumption than previous versions and the Airbus NEOs. This of course is what Boeing set out to achieve.

Boeing used the 737’s ‘grandfather’ certification to mount a challenge to the A320 at lower expense to itself, about 40 years ago. They’ve continued to milk it way beyond the point where a clean sheet design should have been put up. They probably should have been thinking of a fresh design around 20 years ago, and the fact that some bean counter decided to take the piss out of the 737’s certification rights by stretching them beyond reasonable limits, is now coming back to bite them hard on the backside. Hard to have much sympathy for the company, but there will be a lot of blameless people caught up as collateral damage and they do deserve our sympathy.

The Malaysia national carrier has just cancelled a big MAX order.
They have always only run 737s locally. Now even if the MAX gets airborne again, the pilots will have to be re-certified and cannot mix the two types

Norwegian have now cancelled their order for 92 x 737 MAX as well as 5 x 787 Dreamliners, plus putting in a compensation claim to Boeing for the grounding of the Max and the persistent engine issues plaguing the 787 Dreamliner.

I wonder if they would have done this had Covid-19 not had the impact on the aviation industry that it has....

I don`t know quite how the lack of use has affected existing airline fleets.

Do aircraft have lots of hours left since they`ve not been used or is there a time aspect as well meaning the need for re-inspection, overhaul and certification even though they`ve not been use?

This would affect whether there is any current market for new aircraft quite apart from any demand for the MAX.

I'd forgotten about this thread...in hindsight the 737 MAX seems like the least of their issues!

Last edited:
I don`t know quite how the lack of use has affected existing airline fleets.

Do aircraft have lots of hours left since they`ve not been used or is there a time aspect as well meaning the need for re-inspection, overhaul and certification even though they`ve not been use?

This would affect whether there is any current market for new aircraft quite apart from any demand for the MAX.
Plenty of aircraft all over the world spend some time in storage with a view to being brought back into service at some point. It’s a well trodden path. Engines will be run occasionally, aircraft will be moved to stop the tyres getting flat spots, flying controls will be operated etc etc.

Plenty of aircraft all over the world spend some time in storage with a view to being brought back into service at some point. It’s a well trodden path. Engines will be run occasionally, aircraft will be moved to stop the tyres getting flat spots, flying controls will be operated etc etc.

Love the idea of running up a planes engines every few months like the lads on the car forecourts do every fortnight.

Slightly bigger toys though!

Love the idea of running up a planes engines every few months like the lads on the car forecourts do every fortnight.

Slightly bigger toys though!

Smaller ones are fun too

D97FF43B-FB39-4AEC-B500-BA281EE0D601_zpsvhdfnvao.jpg

As someone who has watched the planes sitting on the taxi areas of some airports over the Covid-19 lockdown it was interesting to see that Wizz Air all covered their engine fronts with covers, unlike Ryan Air who left them open.

None of the aircraft were ever moved although the Wizz Airs engines were run and it looked like the insides were cleaned as well, never saw any Ryan Air planes having the same treatment.

As someone who has watched the planes sitting on the taxi areas of some airports over the Covid-19 lockdown it was interesting to see that Wizz Air all covered their engine fronts with covers, unlike Ryan Air who left them open.
That gets awkward if a protected bird makes a nest in an engine

and the persistent engine issues plaguing the 787 Dreamliner.

I was under the impression that the issues were only with the Rolls Royce (Trent 1000?) engine and that the GE Engine is unaffected.
This was something of a relief to me on a TUI flight to Mexico when I found that the TUI fleet all have the GE engines.

I was under the impression that the issues were only with the Rolls Royce (Trent 1000?) engine and that the GE Engine is unaffected.
This was something of a relief to me on a TUI flight to Mexico when I found that the TUI fleet all have the GE engines.

The first problem with engines still remains and that is with the GE engines. They ice-up - remember the "avoid bad weather" edict? They have not changed the engine, but changed the software - the part of the engine that ices-up is "shaken" to shift the ice.
The RR engines showed premature cracking of the roots of one set of compressor blades, which is fixed via a new design. Not least because of the groundings due to C19, that change-out should now be complete.

Just as GE lost business to RR on the 787 due to the icing problem, RR has lost business to GE due to the blade problem.

https://www.ft.com/content/6cfa1b12-555e-11e3-a321-00144feabdc0

advertisement

Back