advertisement

Worth moving from MC to MM to cheaply change phono styli more frequently?

Whilst you are right about the Miller capacitance from the 1st gain stage in an MM phono stage (not only tube!) loads the MM cart ... it is not always 200pF.

The equation for Miller capacitance (that I have found, anyway) is as follows:
* 2 x (gain of the 1st stage x 6pF + 30pF).
Andy,

Am I correct in saying that our solid state phono stage should not add to the too-high pF problem?

Last edited:
Andy,

Am I correct in saying that our solid state phono stage should not add to the high of problem?

Sorry - not sure what phono stage you have.

SS phono stages use either jfets or transistors. Irrespective of this ... Miller capacitance acts on the cart, unless the 1st gain stage is built with a cascode.

That's the difference between my MM & MC 'Muse' phono stage - I build my MM version with a cascode on the 1st gain stage ... whilst the MC version has a CCS (because capacitance is irrelevant for an MC cart). 2nd gain stage of both has a CCS.

I inquired about similar a year or so back. Both of my local hi fi dealers ( Audio T and Deco) spoke highly of Audio Note MM cartridges. I am told they are based on the Goldring template.

There's a thread from 10 years back of Steve Hoffman's forum that is quite positive about them - including SH himself.

Being AN they are not cheap but you can just replace the stylus - but, again , not that cheaply.

I'm going to compare the AN IQ 3 with a Hanna MC next time I change mine although, looking ahead, a more sensibly priced option might also make sense. Once I'm living on my pension alone, close on £700 - £1k + each time I change the cart , even with trade in, is not going to be sustainable.

Sorry - not sure what phono stage you have.

SS phono stages use either jfets or transistors. Irrespective of this ... Miller capacitance acts on the cart, unless the 1st gain stage is built with a cascode.

That's the difference between my MM & MC 'Muse' phono stage - I build my MM version with a cascode on the 1st gain stage ... whilst the MC version has a CCS (because capacitance is irrelevant for an MC cart). 2nd gain stage of both has a CCS.

We’re in the J-FET camp, with our TRICHORD DELPHINI 2-box phono.

We have the option of 47K loading for MM with either 100pF or 1,000pF - which I fear may NOT be low enough pF for some MM designs…

Thanks Andy,
I had just read somewhere that the valve (ECC83 or 88 ????) in my Puresound phono was good for around 200pF Miller effect. I had no idea it depended on the valve concerned nor that this effect affected SS phono stages as well.

I would urge all readers to ignore any " technicalities" that in my ignorance I may regurgitate and investigate for themselves. I know nothing about anything technical.
What I do know is that, SOUNDWISE, the input capacitance can be a make or break factor when trying to form an opinion on the suitability of an MM cartridge. It ain´t that simple......... but I can confirm that Joni has stopped yodelling and her oh so sweet voice is back on form.

Even more weird is the fact that my E.E. mate/ chief solderer just laughs when I say the capacitance of my tonearm cable is good for around 150pF. He says it must be bloody long to have any effect whatsoever - like 2 or 3 kilometres !!!! What would I know - I just go on what people say.

Don’t rule out the 1042… I keep coming back to it and have had it with expensive mcs. And it has got cheaper! now 300 quid. Not many components have done that!
Alex
I know people swear by them.

I just wish I didn’t find the 1042 to be so downright ugly.

If anyone already has an A&RP77 and fancies a rather special hyper elliptical retip and suspension mod (in my opinion an improvement on the original "profile" job), I have collected 3 of them to see me out and can point you in the right direction, in Italy to be more precise.

I’ve a Roksan Blue body that would take. 1042 stylus. I am considering that.. would that be a good match on a Well Tempered?

If anyone already has an A&RP77 and fancies a rather special hyper elliptical retip and suspension mod (in my opinion an improvement on the original "profile" job), I have collected 3 of them to see me out and can point you in the right direction, in Italy to be more precise.
Interested. What kind of improvement and for what cost?

If anyone already has an A&RP77 and fancies a rather special hyper elliptical retip and suspension mod...
I replaced a P77 on a guy's Planer3 yesterday, the cantilever was bent in two. I didn't think there were any decent stylus options left for that cart. Certainly not reasonably priced ones.

file.php
I replaced a P77 on a guy's Planer3 yesterday, the cantilever was bent in two. I didn't think there were any decent stylus options left for that cart. Certainly not reasonably priced ones.
I use a Shure cantilever I mount on the P77. An easy job.

My running cost was £400 per cartridge last time I had my two Linn MC’s rebuilt. I typically get 2,500 hours before I need to swap one out.

Last edited:
I was never committed to changing from MC to MM - I just thought it might be more affordable, on an ongoing replacement basis. This would in-turn allow me to affordably update styli more frequently, in an attempt to protect our beloved vinyl collection.

It seems, that MM is no lower in cost, at our present “delighted, but affordable!” MC level.

That is to say that at £249.17 Exc. VAT, it seems the (original) DENON DL-103 is the best VFM option for our needs.

Having thoroughly enjoyed the DL-103R. - at £80.00 more - I think I better give the more affordable legend a try! :cool:👍

Last edited:
I was never committed to changing from MC to MM - I just thought it might be more affordable, on an ongoing replacement basis. This would in-turn allow me to affordable update styli more frequently, in an attempt to protect our beloved vinyl collection.

It seems, that MM is no lower in cost, at our present “delighted, but affordable!” MC level.

That is to say that at £249.17 Exc. VAT, it seems the (original) DENON DL-103 is the best VFM option for our needs.

Having thoroughly enjoyed the DL-103R. - at £80.00 more - I think I better give the more affordable legend a try! :cool:👍
If my tonearn had mass enough I'd certainly have a 103 available.
But its doubtless more affordable to run MM in generel.
Much easier to change stylus.

As seen in this thread, that all depends on the MM in question.
The replacement stylus for the AT VM760SLC is over €500.

Another point to note: Our award—winning medium-heavy mass WAND PLUS 9.5” tonearm is cheaper than almost all other top-flight arms and is an idyllic match with the big DENON DL-103 carts.

VFM all round! :cool: 👍

Last edited:

advertisement

Back