advertisement

Worth moving from MC to MM to cheaply change phono styli more frequently?

A good reminder, Chris.

My only MM options are 47K and 100pF/1,000pF… and our amp is all tube!

Sondeknz
With this in mind - and based upon everything shared in this thread - I’m probably thinking the AT-VM740ML is the best starting point for my MM explorations.
You prob don't need the stock metal body to get the best out of this cart. I have run the cheaper 540ML on an MG10 headshell and it sounds fantastic since it uses exactly the same stylus and generator, so save your self a bit and get the plastic body version
All for £ 229. Plus they are currently selling it here for £205: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/audio-technica-vm540ml-mm-phono-cartridge
that makes it much cheaper than the Denon.

That said, if you wanted to also add a RigB metal body at a later date, it sounds a bit cleaner with better separation and freq extremes then thats a worthwhile upgrade.

Sondeknz

You prob don't need the stock metal body to get the best out of this cart. I have run the cheaper 540ML on an MG10 headshell and it sounds fantastic since it uses exactly the same stylus and generator, so save your self a bit and get the plastic body version
All for £ 229. Plus they are currently selling it here for £205: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/audio-technica-vm540ml-mm-phono-cartridge
that makes it much cheaper than the Denon.

That said, if you wanted to also add a RigB metal body at a later date, it sounds a bit cleaner with better separation and freq extremes then thats a worthwhile upgrade.
The RibB! Version was £231 when I last looked, and I think that would be my choice over the normal 540ML.

The Shelter 201 looks remarkably similar to a Sumiko Pearl, which is much cheaper.
The specs are also very similar, suggesting they are based on the same generator?

Looks the same but the stylus are difference. I went into this at length, or I'd have bought a Pearl stylus or two by now.

On paper, it's not much compared to a 540ml. But as I've said specs, cantilever material, fancy stylus shapes & detail retrieval all this schmutz put aside, & I simply -listen- over a decent period of time.. I choose it over the 540ml, even an mc too.

Capt

There is a minor difference in the Styli, on paper. One is apparently a Coral 555 and the other a 666.
I have not heard any of these, so cannot comment.

The upshot of all this is, that I'm finding that downgrading from MC to MM not as cost-effective as I would have hoped.
Well, as usual, "it depends"! I recently gave up on moving coils (Lyra in my case) - a replacement would have cost over $3000 and retipping is a bit of a crap shoot. I went with an AT VM760SLC (~$600) moving magnet and don't really feel I've sacrificed much, sound quality-wise. And I've gained the ability to replace the stylus after 1000 or so hours (you should easily get 2000 hours out of a good quality moving coil stylus - I've got 2000-3000 out of my Linn and Lyra moving coils over the last 40 years).

This issue of vinyl damage is why I decided, around 5 years ago, to go with a Nagaoka MP500. IMO, it strikes a nice balance between overall quality and running cost. Another thing I really like is that the replaceable stylus assembly doesn’t just snap into place, but is fixed to the cartridge body with two screws. I just bought a new stylus for $359CAN shipping included. That’s affordable for me, and I can spend more on music.

… but once again, for a replacement NAGAOKA MP-300 stylus, we are back to slightly more money than a brand new DENON DL103R.

Around and around we go! o_O

I’m starting to think that with big DENON DL-103R - or perhaps the original DL-103 - I’ve already hit the affordable sweet-spot.

Maybe I’ll just save GBP 80.00 and try the (original) DL103 this time around… 🤔

Last edited:
Sorry to be repetitive but if you do go back to MM, don’t forget to adjust the capacitance on the input accordingly to suit the cartridge. It can really define things. I have just reduced the capacitance on my phonoinput after learning that in the case of valve phonos, the Miller effect of the first valve (200pF approx.) must be added to the equation. When Joni hits the high notes on Blue, It can be the difference between understanding the lyrics and thinking she’s yodelling.

Whilst you are right about the Miller capacitance from the 1st gain stage in an MM phono stage (not only tube!) loads the MM cart ... it is not always 200pF.

The equation for Miller capacitance (that I have found, anyway) is as follows:
* 2 x (gain of the 1st stage x 6pF + 30pF).

advertisement

Back