advertisement

World On Fire.

The facist thing here was huge although that's been well covered up by the 'abdication 'crisis' when the reality is that Edward VIII was removed cause he was a facist who the Nazis wanted to use as a puppet in the event that they invaded the UK in 1940, he was up to his neck in that particular plot plus there's the Hess connection too with prominent members of the UK establishment at Perth who wanted peace with Hitler.

now that sounds like great material for a series.

There was an excellent documentary about this issue a few years ago, basically he was a Nazi and that's why he was 'forced to abdicate'.

The American and the Dutch intelligence services knew all about his 'activities' there was a CIA (or it's precursor) file on him that was published around the end of the eighties.

The American's had him down as a security risk and no wonder he was staying at Ribentrop's home in Lisbon when France fell.

The guy was a complete scumbag even his time as governor or Bermuda is mired in controversy regarding a murder there during his time on the Island then when he went to live in Paris he took a load of cash with him which was illegal at that time.

The UK government is brilliant at hiding stuff like that from us, it's citizens.

Reactions: vuk
Yes, it is, and would work well with decent writers, editors and directors &c. Unfortunately, on the baisis of the first episode, it appears to be shallow, vacuous, and wanting in all those areas. Perhaps it will get better as it progresses, but I'm not holding my breath. I may give it another go as it's a period of history which interests me.

It plays fast and loose with the truth.

The blackshirt uniform worn by the fascists in episode 1 had been banned by the 1936 Public Order Act.

Peaky Blinders are running a fascist topic within their later series, which caused me to read up on in a bit more. Frightening...

advertisement

Back