advertisement

It was very interesting IMO. I had no idea about the ‘reformed racist’ angle at all. Well worth watching IMO.

Same here, was a surprise. Almost makes me rub my chin. I suppose one can change a viewpoint that looks like it was instilled from birth. It is easy to be a bit cynical from a historical viewpoint I guess.

I am no big fan of him, but I recognise his legacy.

Same here, was a surprise. Almost makes me rub my chin. I suppose one can change a viewpoint that looks like it was instilled from birth. It is easy to be a bit cynical from a historical viewpoint I guess.

I am no big fan of him, but I recognise his legacy.

About the same here. Crap singer, crap guitarist but he wrote some important songs that gave foundations to later protest singers

I read "Bound for Glory" (autobiography) when I was about 16 but only now realise how much of it was exaggerated or purely fictional!

Oh and you can't have too much Billy Bragg!

Has this been on before? Pretty sure I have seen something very similar. I believe Guthrie was a bit of an arse.

I saw a trailer which seemed to suggest it was first of a series - John Lee Hooker next Friday.

Jim

I thought this was a terrific overview of one of the most interesting lives in 20c American folk.

It barely needs stating that Guthrie’s journey was full of road bumps. Bad choices made; daftness, bigotry, self-mythologising; straw man songwriting. Not least, he could have treated his wife better.

Beside those elements though, and winning by a nose, was the angel side of his story. The guy’s appetite for life, his preparedness to confront dark corners - his own and others. His DIY aesthetic, which has inspired and found its echo in so much music since; and finally the dozen or so truly great songs which have now become part of how America sees itself.

In short, taken in the round, I left this documentary as I left my reading of Joe Klein’s biography a couple of decades earlier. Thinking, it’s hard to like Woody, yet fully as hard not to love him. Ain’t life complicated.

advertisement

Back