advertisement

Wood speaker stands; anyone compared them to metal?

Those look interesting. How is the top seat attached? If that could be removed leaving just the skeletal frame I bet they’d sound better (less mass) and would look like purpose-built stands too.
Yes - I had the same thought... the seat comes attached to the two longer horizontal members that make up the top of the frame. It is definitely screwed in place but I can't tell yet if also glued, which might be more of a problem to separate. I might give it a go and see if I can separate it. I would suggest building it as I have first and then taking off the seat as it would help line everything up I think. I'll take a look and let you know :)

Those look interesting. How is the top seat attached? If that could be removed leaving just the skeletal frame I bet they’d sound better (less mass) and would look like purpose-built stands too.

So I had some time to look at this... very easy to separate. I just added an additional crossmember at the right spot to support the rubber corners of the Concept 30s.
The crossmember I added has stiffened the whole thing up nicely too.
If I had the joinery skills I would have shortenned the length of the whole thing but I was scared I would just end up with a load of scrap, so have gone this way for now.
I could also try bolting the speakers down from underneath as they have the facility for that but I'd need another crossmember or something simlilar.

It was difficult to a/b to do a comparison with the stool tops on, but they certainly don't sound worse and I have a feeling are imaging a little better. Less mass can only help I'm sure.

spk-1.jpg

spk-2.jpg

I've recently moved house and have revisited the whole layout of my system (plus a change in amp / speakers).
Inspired by this thread, and because the existing Custom Design FS104 stands didn't really look right with the rest of it, I'm giving some wooden stands a go.
The FS104 were 2/3rds filled with attabites, 4 big spikes on the bottom and weighed a ton.

Definitely worth a play with wood as a material, and reducing the mass.
Received wisdom *used* to be that mass was good, with stands being sand loaded, lead shot, Atabites, etc. Claims were of distinct improvements as mass went up. Now you believe that lighter is better, what's changed?

Received wisdom *used* to be that mass was good, with stands being sand loaded, lead shot, Atabites, etc. Claims were of distinct improvements as mass went up. Now you believe that lighter is better, what's changed?

It's a fair question - for me this little experiment is about two things: using wood instead of metal and also reducing mass

I've found in everything to do with my system removing / replacing metal (especially steel) has been beneficial - a wooden rack most recently.

For the reduced mass thing, I think this is about considering what are speaker stands for? To hold the speakers safely and securely at a specific height... as long as it achieves this, what's the benefit if it weighs a lot?

Received wisdom *used* to be that mass was good, with stands being sand loaded, lead shot, Atabites, etc. Claims were of distinct improvements as mass went up.

It’s never been a consistent ‘win’ for one type of stand. Some speakers seem to like high-mass, some like light open frame, some like something in the middle.

So I had some time to look at this... very easy to separate. I just added an additional crossmember at the right spot to support the rubber corners of the Concept 30s.
The crossmember I added has stiffened the whole thing up nicely too.
If I had the joinery skills I would have shortenned the length of the whole thing but I was scared I would just end up with a load of scrap, so have gone this way for now.
I could also try bolting the speakers down from underneath as they have the facility for that but I'd need another crossmember or something simlilar.

It was difficult to a/b to do a comparison with the stool tops on, but they certainly don't sound worse and I have a feeling are imaging a little better. Less mass can only help I'm sure.

spk-1.jpg

spk-2.jpg

Very nice. I can imagine the stands to fit a slightly larger pair of bookshelf speakers in wood veneer finish.

I as thinking of trying some of the AudioChic rubber feet that Tony mentions here (they sell them separately as an accessory) but discovered that they had an M6 thread on them and I need an M8 thread for my stands. Does anyone know of an alternative source of similar feet that have an M8 thread?

regards

Kevin

Looking at the Audiochic site, the picture they show of rubber feet as accessories for their stands:

https://audiochic.co.uk/collections...ubber-buffers-set-of-4?variant=39731951304869

appear identical to the automotive ones I linked to before:

https://www.avmountsonline.co.uk/cylindrical-buffers/conical-buffers

and they had them with M8 threads, so I bought some and fitted them today.

Probably kidding myself but I thought they improved the sound. Cheapish experiment anyway.

regards

Kevin

I came on this site a few years ago claiming low mass, with a design which enables good stability & rigidity, was a good alternative over high mass metal jobs, specifying wood as the best option in my case & got absolutely hammered by pretty much everyone who responded :rolleyes:

Until very recently my speakers were on all metal Atacama stands that were a little too short.
I finally dismantled them, discarded the metal uprights and replaced them with correct height wooden legs.
The black, matt crackle finish on the base and top plates had peeled so I refinished them in a semi-gloss, mid blue brushed finish.

They'll be reunited with speakers tomorrow...

20230728-231416-567x1008.jpg

advertisement

Back