advertisement

Won a MiniDSP 2x4... What next?!

sam_cat

C'est Crounchifique!
Won a MiniDSP 2x4, What next..

Plan is it will go MDAC > B4 pre > MiniDSP splitting to HackerNAPS for the Ergo IX and the BKELEC Monolith DF sub .

Probably will build the MiniDSP inside the B4 once its tested.

Already got a uMic1 and licence for room EQ wizard (and have used it).

Anyone played with one? Any top tips?

I built my active kitchen speakers using a MiniDSP 2x4HD as my preamp/x-over, and set it up using a umik-1 and room EQW.
My main 'worry' in your proposed setup is that you may 'undo' some of the MDAC 'magic' by passing the signal, first through a preamp (although I do this myself, for another reason - I don't believe you can 'enhance' the sound by going through another stage) and then re-digitising your signal to process it via the miniDSP.

That said, it's all about reading all the (excellent) instructions and taking a methodical approach. I was building a two way small speaker that was intended for a specific location. The first thing I did was to take some near field measurements of the bass unit in the cabinet, to determine where I should set the crossover frequency, and to assess the response in the near field. I then applied a correction curve that gave me the correct crossover frequency, and a correction for the inevitable bass rolloff, as I don't need high volumes, so I can pump the bass up. I then introduced the tweeters, which didn't need anything other than the crossover frequency setting. I them moved the speakers into the (decidedly sub optimal) position, and then I did a full frequency sweep to find out what the frequency response was in situ. I then tweaked that correction, so as to correct peaks without over driving nulls which is pointless and problematic. Net result is I have some Kan sized speakers that are flat to 50Hz, sound amazing, voiced for Radio4 speech mainly, but don't go loud.

Well you won't need the MDAC or the B4 any more, you're just duplicating fuctiinsf
But as a DAC/Preamp I don't really think that the MiniDSP is in the same league as the MDAC, though actually comparing them in my main system is basically impossible...

Certainly the chain MDAC, B4, MiniDSP won't be better than the MiniDSP on its own.

Are you sure that it can act as a DAC/Pre? No sign of a volume control, the blurb (here https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out ) seems to suggest its 2xanalog in and 4xanalog out with no mention of USB digital in. USB is just for control of its internal software and to power it.
This is the rock bottom basic model they do.

Regardless, we have 3 digital sources which all get used so the MDAC isnt going anywhere (atm - there is always a way). The price was (very) right and always fancied a play with one, be interesting to see what it can bring to the party/do in my context.

The 2x4HD has remote controlled volume, and if you buy their remote, it 'just works' straight from the box. The standard 2x4 I don't know. The HD has USB, and Optical SPDIF at least, but not multiple inputs, but I use mine in a single input system, and connect by optical, so I can re-program via USB, if I need to, though it sounds fine, for the kitchen, so I've not messed with it since installation.

(reminder to self - the tweeters are not sealed, and the huge pressures in the cabinets driving that poor old bass unit at low frequencies means that if we do wind up the volume we get chuffing noises from the tweeter! Need to make an enclosure for the tweeters to seal them from the main box - a lesson I learned 20+ years ago when developing another speaker!)

Okay, sounds good.

Will have an experiment when it arrives, figure it out and document the adventure here.. Someone might learn from it (hopefully me as well!)

Is it the 2X4 balanced ?

The MiniDSP works by converting the analogue in, to digital, processing and then back to analogue.

They have a couple of plate amps which you can feed digital in thus saving one layer of processing.

I'm just in the process of converting my MiniDSP ICE-PWR 250 to feed 2 subs, I would have used digital in from my MDAC but as I need a Phono stage input I'm using a balanced Y splitter cable from my pre.

One of the features of the plate amp is that it can connect via ethernet allowing full control via laptop - nice.

I think there are a lot of differences between the 2x4 and 2x4HD. I love the MiniDSP stuff, but they seem to be masters of the art of providing almost what I want, but not quite...

if they did something that would do 24/96, and an analogue input, with input trim (+ & -) and balanced outputs (not needed today, but eventually I want to go that way) - or, I suppose, both single ended and balanced, than maybe I'd give up my MDAC. Ethernet connectivity to trim would be great as my digital source is a RPi. I really don't need DSP in my main system as my ML Summits measure superbly in my room, but experimentation is the spice of life...

Not balanced

Another thought that occured to me is running the MiniDSP on the sub channel only, a bit like an antiMode would be setup. So it can correct any issues on the sub channel while everything else is left alone/not re-converted..

Lots of experiments spring to mind. :)

Another thought that occured to me is running the MiniDSP on the sub channel only
Assuming you are controlling the volume with the B4, and it has (or can have) two outputs, I think this may be the best solution. You lose the ability to remove low bass from your main speakers (but I've never found that works very well anyway) and the the ability to room-correct the main speakers (but most of the issues will be in the bass anyway) - what you then have is four channels to play with, so you could have four subs, which would be awsome (in many ways!).

4x bkelec DF monoliths.... Now we are talking.
Although I fear SWMBO would murder me.

Surely that is what we used to call a nest of tables, you need flat surfaces around the room to put 'stuff' on.

Sadly I've had my first ever 'no-way' from my otherwise accommodating wife, when I proposed buying another set of ESL 57s to create some staked quads for my proposed new vinyl only room 8-(

Yay!
Another Minidsp user on pfm, did you have a `plugin` included with your prize? if not, you will need one, avail here

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/2x4-plug-ins

Im really not sure which would suit your needs, the 2x4 Advanced or the 2 way Advanced 21
I have the 2 way Adv and 4 way Adv (you can overwrite whatever setup you have when changing plugins)

3 subwoofers are active in my place at the moment 2x 12" and 1x 13" in the coming months this will expanded to 2x 13" (got the driver need to build a box)

The ability to measure, then flip to the plugin, tweak, save then flip back to measuring with just a few mouse clicks is wonderful

How long until you buy a second one and go fully active? :D

4x bkelec DF monoliths.... Now we are talking.

This is the drive unit in the BK Monolith Plus.

elab12c.jpg

£ 135. plus one of these giving 250W to each one with full Ethernet DSP control.

minidsp-pwr-ice125-asx2-amplifier-module-450w-4-ohm.jpg

Put the amp in a box by all means but with ESL's NO, use them as dipoles in an open baffle.

Second driver arriving Wednesday :).

Now that is a slippery slope... Used to build/try out many different box designs back in my in-car 'Totally addicted to bass' days... Used to run 3x IDMAX 12's in a sealed cab with 1600w RMS available. Was madness when cranked.
Could get into building cabs again.. Replace the coffee table with a nice one that I made, see if the other half notices the pair of subs build into in firing downwards? Its making it look really nice thats the challenge, in car it was blast with the belt sander to flatted then cover in carpet/paint black. Veneer is a whole different game!

Just getting to grips with REW, there is a setting where you can alter the speed of sound to take into account the temperature and humidity of your room. :eek:

Though after measuring and importing the biquads (EQ) into the Sub plate amp it does sound better and that was with very quick measure.

Still waiting on the ebay seller to actually get the unit to me... No tracking details yet (but it was marked as dispatched). Also chased them and no reply. :/
Wasnt far off the normal ebay price anyway, so dont think it was because I snuck a stone cold bargain.

advertisement

Back