advertisement

Witchhat Hat Pin 4

Gaius

pfm Member
It's a cable that links a Naim pre to a Naim power.

I have had this on loan from Mark (MJS) for 10 days or so.

Initially I had a quick listen; it makes quite a difference.

I then had Ewen 1970 round here, we have been testing and evaluating so much Naim on the front end of the chain for quite some time; I value his input.

We played some familiar music to us both as a benchmark and swapped cables, this was from a Flashback 4 pin which I find competitive to Naim's own.

Ewen started to smile, after the second number which I think was Numbers by Kraftwerk, he pronounced it a no brainer.

It quite simply did everything better.

Tonight I thought for a thorough test I'd swap back.

I always think that's the best way, A/Bs are not always as conclusive as they seem, I like to live with things for a bit and then see.

In this case, first impressions are bang on, by comparison it made the other sound confused and messy.

This is a nice product from Witchhat, a big step up at little cost.

I'll perhaps do a further write up elaborating on the finer points but in the end I'll agree with Ewen, a very clear no brainer.

Would a Pin cable be useable twixt a NAT01 and the NATPS...i.e. could it be a Snaic replacement? I found that the tuner in particular responded very well when I went from a gray Snaic to a black one.

The cables are used specifically where power and signal go down the same cable, e.g on HiCaps and amps with built-in power supplies.

It would work well on a NAT101 but not an 01, that cable only carries power.

I'm guessing what Mark has done, is to isolate or shield the power from the signal and you can hear the difference straight away.

The sound is a lot cleaner and crisper as you'd expect. You can follow the notes much more easily and the stereo imaging (I know I sound like a tosser saying that) is much improved.

This is actually really obvious as well as a no brainer.

The cable is well made and is a significant upgrade in Naim applications.

I understand it's pretty cheap too...

How much mark, I understand prices can change due to lengths. Say a 1.0m 5 pin.
They sound interesting and I have a cable that would have to be made as the locking pins are different.
Thanks Ian.

The Avondale way achieves the same effect i.e. keeping signal and power separate by using separate cables. Mine allow you to keep the Naim method of referencing the signal via the power supply so they're a straight replacement.

i.e. keeping signal and power separate by using separate cables. Mine allow you to keep the Naim method of referencing the signal via the power supply so they're a straight replacement.

So, if using power amp psu, the pin 4 is required. If it's a *cap, then a pin 5 ?

Sounds like a low cost application to enchance performance of the naim pre & power combinations, very interesting.

Consider a NAP180 and, say, a NAC72. The 4 pin would connect the two if using a single rail and no power supply. Now add a hicap. The NAP180 still sends power down the signal lead even though it's not being used and the hicap will be doing the same thing for the 72. By keeping all the power and signal separately we can remove the noise of 3 power supply rails from being near the signal.

Another situation that I've been using 4 & 5 Hatpins in, is between a Teddycap and Nait XS. A very favourable improvement to sound quality, much clearer and more defined. As noted by Gaius and Ewen1970 a 'no brainer'!

Just looked at the Witch Hat web site for the first time. Were these cables intended for Olive gear only? I see doublebubble has tried a NaitXS, but what about black Classic and/or 500 series. Anyone planning to test?

Nice touch on the 52 Burndy wrapping both cables in one loom. Naim has always recommended running these together, loosely intertwined.

There is a lot of Chord Sarum TA buzz right now on the Naim forum. But unless there are dramatic price reductions, or until these start to show up on the used market, they will remain beyond my reach. As a result, more reasonably priced alternatives are of interest to me.

Hook

Just looked at the Witch Hat web site for the first time. Were these cables intended for Olive gear only? I see doublebubble has tried a NaitXS, but what about black Classic and/or 500 series. Anyone planning to test?

Nice touch on the 52 Burndy wrapping both cables in one loom. Naim has always recommended running these together, loosely intertwined.

There is a lot of Chord Sarum TA buzz right now on the Naim forum. But unless there are dramatic price reductions, or until these start to show up on the used market, they will remain beyond my reach. As a result, more reasonably priced alternatives are of interest to me.

Hook

No, I have used the Hat Pin 4 between NAC12/160, NAC 52/160, 52 NAC/Witch Hat Moonlight. The Moonlight being the new power amp from Witch Hat.

I am also going the lend it to a fellow who has NAC122/150.

The cables are for Chrome Bumper (latching DIN) or Olive and beyond (Bayonet locking DIN). I supply bayonet 'Preh' as standard but if you specify latching I'll make it to order.

So the Hat Pin 5 would be a replacement for the snaic 5 between my Stageline and SUpernait? and also replace the Teddycab between my TeddyCap and Supernait? Yes?

advertisement

Back