advertisement

Wishbone Ash

gordonscobie

pfm Member
I was lucky enough to see Wishbone Ash at their gig in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, and they were brilliant. I have only got one of their albums which is Number the Brave, which I bought when it came out, mainly due to the single. Apart from the gig and the album, I have never listened to them, but would like to. The gig was excellent, even although I was unfamiliar with practically all of the songs. What are their best albums?

Thanks,

Gordon.

I am sure you will get a variety of differing answers, however the first 5 are thought of as the better ones.

The first three (Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage & Argus), Live Dates and There’s The Rub are all you need

Agree with the above and would add Live Dates Volume Two.

As for gigs I prefer Martin Turner (original bass & vocals) whose band sound more authentic than the official Wishbone Ash featuring Andy Powell (original guitarist).

The first three (Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage & Argus), Live Dates and There’s The Rub are all you need

I would Sub Live Dates 2 for Live Dates and add New England. Live Dates 2 smokes in a way that Live Dates doesn't and is in much better sound. In fact, Live Dates was a bit meh imo - compared to the studio versions.

I don't know if there was a later vinyl reissue, but the original was a double album for a limited run and that's the one you want. A good CD reissue from Germany/Austria was released a few years back with the full tracklist - Austria: Enigmatic, ENICD 04 - 1CD.

Don't know what this one sounds like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BQBD0I6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Any love for "No Smoke Without Fire"?
Still my favourite and I like the production balance on it as well.

Argus and New England for me. Although I have not dug out New England for a long time. I seem the remember something on side 2 was rather special - you turned up the volume to hear what was going on and then got a surprise!

Live Dates Vol2 is production masterclass ...... Whomever produced that album did an absolutely fantastic job as the mix is just superb !

It's the go to LP when testing/auditioning vinyl replay, especially the 1st track on side-2 called F.U.B.B - actually stands for F****d Up Beyond Belief !!

advertisement

Back