advertisement

Wishbone Ash - Argus

It is obligatory! I thought the 'Wally' phenomena was a Midlands thing. Are you a fellow Midlander?

Maybe it was more widespread... What was all that about anyway?! I remember, as an impressionable teenager, being told that Wally was a guitarist in some band and he was fatally electrocuted on stage. The shout of 'Wally' at gigs was a tribute to him... This was way before the phrase, "You total Wally" became prevalent...

Dyed in the wool Mancunian!

Before band appeared on stage Wally' was called out at most gigs at the Manchester Apollo (my experience being from late 70s onwards). Often the calling would strike up when roadies were making last minute preparations on stage etc, happy days.

Have another go, but try focusing on the bass playing (it's very good). It's a prog album so consciously avoid listening to the lyrics (which would be far more interesting if they were about Argos!).

I picked up on your previous comments about the Bass playing when having a listen last night (it seemed fairly low in the mix?) but didn't get to listen for long as we were hit by a 2 hour powercut.

Martin Turner's bass playing is best represented by Live Dates 2, that is a great live set and my favourite Ash album.

Martin Turner's bass playing is best represented by Live Dates 2, that is a great live set and my favourite Ash album.

I recall F.U.B.B from that record having some great upfront bass on it. I was never convinced by Laurie Wisefield's whiny singing on those later albums though. Argus and Wishbone 4 are great albums though.

I can only find the 2002 on Amazon UK - got a link?

I think I've made a mistake here, the one on Amazon does seem to be 2002 although there is a mention of 2011 in the description.

Plenty of posts on Hoffman saying avoid the 2002 at all costs and get the 2007 2cd deluxe edition. I've just ordered that on ebay so will find out.

The 2002 is the only one I've heard and being as I have only played it a few times in the last 12 years they are probably right.

I recall F.U.B.B from that record having some great upfront bass on it. I was never convinced by Laurie Wisefield's whiny singing on those later albums though. Argus and Wishbone 4 are great albums though.

Yes but I liked Laurie's playing and the run of albums from Argus through Wishbone 4, There's The Rub, New England were great imo. MT and AP do most vocals on Live Dates 2 including terrific versions of 'Persephone', 'Lorelei' and 'You Rescue Me'. The original Live Dates was a bit ordinary I thought.

I think I'm right in saying that the LD2 with both LPs was a limited edition vinyl release and a single LP after that. Which was a pity because the second part was great. Fortunately, a very fine CD version emerged a couple of years back that included it all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0073GQX2I/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have another go, but try focusing on the bass playing (it's very good). It's a prog album so consciously avoid listening to the lyrics (which would be far more interesting if they were about Argos!).

Don't let them hear you calling them a prog band they always hate that:confused:

Don't let them hear you calling them a prog band they always hate that:confused:

I'm sure they have a point. I didn't mean prog in the Yes/ELP way, but some of it is fairly long and complex stuff, more 'progressive rock' in it's wider term.

PS I played a bit of Argus earlier and the thing that struck me was how the second half of 'Sometime World' brought to mind 'Down In The Sewer' by The Stranglers! I bet they'd not like that either! There's something vaguely similar about the way the bass, drums and guitar all hang together (and that I really like). By saying that The Stranglers were a prog band! ;-)

By saying that The Stranglers were a prog band! ;-)[/QUOTE]

I never really thought of the Stranglers as a Punk band either they could play their instruments, there are some bands that just have their own individual variant of rock, Ash are one of them just a shame they can't all get on and play together again

Good morning from Kidderminster.

My understanding of the"Wally" shout was that it originated at the Weeley Festival (Essex?) in about 1971 or 72. Some guy was looking for his mate Wally and started shouting his name, crowd picked up on it etc and it moved on to the next festival and so on.

IIRC The Faces were top, or near the top of the bill at Weeley. There was a site at one time listing all of the British Festivals from the 60's onwards.

Ron

Kidderminster! I used to live there and was a member of their theatre for ten years or so. Been in sconny botland for the last ten years though...

It is obligatory! I thought the 'Wally' phenomena was a Midlands thing. Are you a fellow Midlander?

Maybe it was more widespread... What was all that about anyway?! I remember, as an impressionable teenager, being told that Wally was a guitarist in some band and he was fatally electrocuted on stage. The shout of 'Wally' at gigs was a tribute to him... This was way before the phrase, "You total Wally" became prevalent...

Dunno, I just did it because everyone else did....it was a Liverpool thing as well...

Went to a few gigs at the B'ham Odeon in the late 70s, and there was always a lat of "Wally" before the band came on stage. Never heard it anywhere else.

Nice little Rock/Blues band. I niche them along with Free, although a different sound.
Like Free ,the bass playing carries it along. Pilgrimage was one of first albums I bought at release It still stands up with the drum and bass sound.

Wally was the mythical guy with the drugs.

Chris

advertisement

Back