advertisement

wireless connection between laptop and external DAC?

diybry

pfm Member
I currently have my laptop connected via USB to my external DAC, which supplies my traditional hifi and also headphones, the latter through bluetooth.
The DAC has USB, coax and optical inputs.
Music content is from ripped CDs stored on the laptop hard drive, via Jriver and also spotify.
I'd like to eliminate the wired USB connection between the laptop and DAC, but cannot seem to find a solution.
Any suggestions for a wireless connection please?

I as thinking about using a bluetooth receiver for the DAC, but then I thought that probably bluetooth transmitted from the laptop has already been through the laptop DAC but I'm really not sure on this

Yes, that should be everything you need and job done, if you use your existing usb lead.
Take a look at the Volumio website:
https://volumio.org/

I think you'd need to use the Volumio app instead of Jriver to control it. There is a Spotify plug-in apparently. I've not used Volumio, but many here speak highly of it.

Personally I use picoreplayer, which is just another program (operating system) that can be loaded onto the pi. They are similar in terms of what they do, so just an alternative. Set it up (lots of good guides and help here) and control it from a browser on your laptop and/or phone.

Squeezebox Touch with LMS is my chosen preference (I have 2 SBT's + pi's), but my suggestion was £35 all in which is a good chance to try out options at low cost. And I doubt you'll get an SBT for that!
They're also getting on a bit now...just wish someone would introduce a direct alternative to the Touch...

Yes, that should be everything you need and job done, if you use your existing usb lead.
Take a look at the Volumio website:
https://volumio.org/

I think you'd need to use the Volumio app instead of Jriver to control it. There is a Spotify plug-in apparently. I've not used Volumio, but many here speak highly of it.

Personally I use picoreplayer, which is just another program (operating system) that can be loaded onto the pi. They are similar in terms of what they do, so just an alternative. Set it up (lots of good guides and help here) and control it from a browser on your laptop and/or phone.
Volumio is dead simple. You download it and install it on an SD card as per the site instructions. Thats it! You insert the SD card and switch on the Pi and control Volumio via any web browser no app necessary. Just follow the instructions on the Volumio web site.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks to all.
I must be having a bad day...
1) I have a chromecast audio, but it only has a 3.5mm and mini USB. No optical
2) Volumio. Following Rob's advice and Darth's optimism I tried downloading it before buying the raspberry. Downloaded. So far so good. Then downloaded and used etcher. However, win10 security blocks etcher from creating the image on the usb drive. Ive no idea how to overcome this. Any ideas, guys?

Thanks to all.
I must be having a bad day...
1) I have a chromecast audio, but it only has a 3.5mm and mini USB. No optical
2) Volumio. Following Rob's advice and Darth's optimism I tried downloading it before buying the raspberry. Downloaded. So far so good. Then downloaded and used etcher. However, win10 security blocks etcher from creating the image on the usb drive. Ive no idea how to overcome this. Any ideas, guys?
Is it your own computer or belongs to your employer? I have not had any issue with Etcher but that was a couple of Windows 10 versions upgrades ago. I'll try the latest version of Windows tomorrow and see what happens. I have run Volumio on both a Pi and a Mac Mini dead easy.

Cheers,

DV

Is it your own computer or belongs to your employer? I have not had any issue with Etcher but that was a couple of Windows 10 versions upgrades ago. I'll try the latest version of Windows tomorrow and see what happens. I have run Volumio on both a Pi and a Mac Mini dead easy.

Cheers,

DV
Hi DV, it's my machine. Fully updated to latest win10

If you don't have the pi yet, you don't need to be using etcher..? I think DV is confusing things here.
(And the pi for sale that I linked to already has it installed, so you shouldn't need etcher). What are you trying to do?

Etcher is to load the Volumio program/OS onto the SDcard that fits into the pi.

The chromecast audio uses the 3.5mm jack as an optical out. You'll need a cable to connect it like this to try it out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNQRA0E/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That 3.5mm output is a combination mini optical and analog output. I use it as an optical output so it's verified unless I'm very suggestible.
Yes, Chromecast Audio has optical out. You need a mini Toslink to Toslink cable:

615wtL4p-AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This seems like the easiest solution for you by far.

I love my Raspberry Pi running moOde but it takes a little work to get it up and running. I never had luck with Volumio but others have.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ha! I never heard of a combo port as such, but that's good news, I'll get the lead and see how it goes.
regarding etcher/volumino, i was rather hoping to view the UI, and was raher stupidly, as it happens, following the download instructions. I did think it rather strange to put the download onto a usb drive. My only defence is the red wine, medicinal of course!

advertisement

Back