advertisement

Wire remastered

Seanm

pfm Member
Bumping this from the vinyl thread, as the CDs are getting the same treatment apparently:

Announced a couple days ago, Wire are to issue remasters of their first three albums in limited CD Editions with extras... regular vinyl is coming in June and you can preorder right now from Amazon... I did!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/s/ref=sr_nr_p_lbr_music_artists__0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:229816,k:wire+vinyl,p_n_binding_browse-bin:382539011,p_lbr_music_artists_browse-bin:Wire&keywords=wire+vinyl&ie=UTF8&qid=1521740425&rnid=2565831031

I was really looking forward for this to happen as original pressings are just way too expensive and the 4 Men With Beards versions from the mid '00s are dissapointing. Hope these remasters are up to it.

CDs are out, I think. Anyone heard them?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I got them for 'im indoors birthday, but not had a chance to give them a proper listen yet.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So I ordered the reissues of Pink Flag and 154, since I have an original Chairs Missing. But I'm starting to wonder if I really need them. Are they going to be any better than the early CDs? Does anyone know about the mastering chain and whether it is analogue or not?

I’m very interested in these as I didn’t really like the last remasters that much and the original CDs are hard to find, plus the additional material sounds very interesting as does the packaging. I’ll wait until I’ve heard what the mastering is like, but theoretically I’m in for the three (I have them on mid-80s vinyl as I was rather late to the Wire party).

Anyone got them yet?

We've got all three masters of these; but I've not had a chance to compare them.
The extra CDs have got some really interesting stuff on them.

Please do report back. I haven't listened to Wire much in the last two or three years, but my memory is that the CDs are pretty good and I don't think my pressing of Chairs Missing is radically better. I will also report back on this.

The original vinyl is amazing but I may well be tempted by the extras and the book format if similar to the last Wire album is v nice.

I've just loaded all three versions of Map Ref. 41°N 93°W into Soundforge.
The original master is the least compressed; the 2006 and 2018 look about the same.
I'll have a proper listen later.

Worth mentioning that there is nothing on any of the three that was not already on the excellent 'Behind the Curtain' release a decade or so ago.

If the remastering was a real improvement, I'd take a punt on at least one of them, but not feeling the need atm.

Worth mentioning that there is nothing on any of the three that was not already on the excellent 'Behind the Curtain' release a decade or so ago.

If the remastering was a real improvement, I'd take a punt on at least one of them, but not feeling the need atm.
Ah thanks, I did wonder about that. I shall,therefore, pass on these.

i'm SHOCKED how expensive orignal wire vinyl has become! I was hoping to round out my record collection with some Wire but I doubt i will now

Zombie thread resurrection! I know this was about the remastered CDs, but if anyone's interested the 2018 re-issued vinyl is moderately discounted on Amazon; Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154 are all available at £14.99 each (usually around £18 if I recall).

I've just received Chairs Missing, the vinyl is nice and flat, clean, no surface noise, sounds really good. Perhaps a tad more low end bass and slightly less open than the original, so a bit "darker", but that's only from memory so I could be off there. I'd certainly recommend it from a SQ perspective, and a worthy alternative to the originals (which command stupid prices at the mo, even if you can find them) if you don't already have them. There's a heavy card inner which is a bit brutal so it needs to go into a poly liner. Links:

Pink Flag
Chairs Missing

advertisement

Back