advertisement

Winter driving.

Interestingly it looks like it has been parked on the ice/snow, so someone has driven it to the current location.

Pictures been out for years :D

But yes, laughable

Saying that, we've been out food shopping today, I have a RWD BMW on winter tyres and it was sketchy more so with the fresh snow we had this afternoon, on already frozen ground and the amount of knobbers driving like knobbers was baffling to say the least...

How can someone who has the knowledge to fit snow chains also not know that the car is RWD?

Also, if you've only got one set and you did put them on the back, wouldn't it just understeer all over the place?

Check this wazzock today. Ground to a halt and slid backwards, revving hard, took him ages to get up the hill the wrong way in a one way system- deliberately short cutting to avoid a major interchange.

jrojW9i.jpg

IDSpQ3b.jpg

to be fair, at least - if the owner of that 1-series got it moving - there's a slightly better chance they'll get it to stop.

I'm so tired of hearing from ijits that what they 'need' in slippery conditions is '4wd'.
My usu thought is - cars have had 4 wheel brakes for c. 100 years, look how well those work even with modern ABS in truly-slippery conditions - you have to plan and work with it! No, I can't accelerate / car is broken / Must drive like snow is not a thing.

'So - if 2wd & a modicum of sympathetic technique can't get you moving - how might you stop ...perhaps better re-evaluate your goals overall?' Even when well-intentioned & friendly as a chat, that as a summary rarely goes down well...

It's just that so few seem to appreciate that yes, with 4WD you'll get moving - but unless you know what you are expecting/ how to behave then - it also means you'll likely hit things considerably harder/faster!

education, education, education... and better tyres.

I remember a few years ago there was a report that the main A96 was closed because of snow. Someone I knew got through easily with his front wheel drive van. He said that the road was impassable to BMWs and Mercs with rear wheel drive and wide tyres.

I remember a few years ago there was a report that the main A96 was closed because of snow. Someone I knew got through easily with his front wheel drive van. He said that the road was impassable to BMWs and Mercs with rear wheel drive and wide tyres.
With winter tyres and a paving slab in the boot my Merc left the front wheel drive boys for dead.

Yes, snow tyres are what you need for snow, chains are rarely if ever needed. This is based on a fair number of years experience in the french alps driving front wheeled cars and vans on all sorts of deep snow and ice.

A Mk1 Fiesta would do better in the snow than a lot of other more expensive cars.

advertisement

Back