advertisement

Windsor/ Harrogate show.

You can now read the official press report on the show by the Chief Executive Officer of The Wam ;)

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/126645-official-press-report-of-harrogate-hifi-show/

Based on this excerpt, I'm surprised it didn't make the national news:

But in the end it was the North of England that triumphed most from last weekend’s investment in the first tentative steps towards creating a new regional powerhouse for music and its disciples.

I'm sure the North is most grateful.

Now you've got me thinking! My previous posts on here were about questioning the 'gap in the market' for decent audio quality for 'ordinary people' i.e. affordable and easy-to-use kit straight off the shelf.

But of course the same huge leaps in affordable electronics that lead to things like the Raspberry Pi being such a hit for computing hobbyists haven't passed audio by ... evidently

Now if only I had some spare time!

Top of the line Melco “Streamer/NAS” £7000 (“dealer quote” when I asked the price at Windsor)

Raspberry Pi with Digi+ HAT from IQAudio/HifiBerry/Justboom/Allo/etc, case, wall wart PSU, moOde/Volumio/etc software, plus Synology/QNAP NAS case & a couple of TB HDD, say £500

Difference in SQ...........?????

Top of the line Melco “Streamer/NAS” £7000 (“dealer quote” when I asked the price at Windsor)

Raspberry Pi with Digi+ HAT from IQAudio/HifiBerry/Justboom/Allo/etc, case, wall wart PSU, moOde/Volumio/etc software, plus Synology/QNAP NAS case & a couple of TB HDD, say £500

Difference in SQ...........?????

Are you a "source first" type SW? If so, then it is worth a listen to compare. Of course, the value of any difference in SQ compared to difference in £££ is an individual opinion, for example, is a basic Linn LP12 worth 10x a basic Rega? (and no, I don't have a top of the range Melco)

If not, as you were...

I think the Raspberry Pi is one of those rare bargains in this game.

I have a Paul Hynes linear supply hardwired direct to the motherboard. With Rune there is Spotify integration too. I don’t think the Melco is set up for Spotify. I ended up selling my CD Transport that was a high performer. Pi and USB DAC is all I need on the digital side.

Are you a "source first" type SW? If so, then it is worth a listen to compare. Of course, the value of any difference in SQ compared to difference in £££ is an individual opinion, for example, is a basic Linn LP12 worth 10x a basic Rega? (and no, I don't have a top of the range Melco)

If not, as you were...

My various sources:

1. LP12-Lingo/Zeta/AT OC5
2. Karik III/Numerik
3. CD3.5-Flatcap
4. CDX-XPS
5. Meridian 200/263

Do they qualify me as a member of the “source first” brigade?

Always happy to compare.......:)

Great photos indeed. One thing, when are audio manufacturers going to work out (other than B&O, and now KEF) that cables are a no-no and should be managed? I got sick and tired of seeing beautiful speakers with ugly sprawling hosepipes hanging out of the back of them. Is it too much to ask to consider how these items are attached and to take steps to hide them? As for propping the hosepipes up on wooden blocks to keep them off the carpet, please.

A good day, well long morning. Food and snacks were very poor but I did think there were less than normal terrible sounding rooms one great and 2-3 good the rest middling to not interesting at all

The Icon 211/or 845 ? driving the dual concentric £2k speakers was really good. I wanted to shut the door poor a glass of wine

The AR, Sonus Faber and dcs room was good
The large Magnepans were sounding nice again
The Vivid room was impressive, but the more I listened the less convinced I was, great vocals and mid, but somehow the bass integration left me wanting a bit. There was a good level of bass but it lacked really weight and dynamics at the bottom for the money IMO

Oh and the Audio Note room was quite 'flat' and woolly compared to normal. Running and Ongaku, I was a little underwhelmed...

I too loved the woodcase Yamahas - I have some Yam kit from the 70s and it’s nice to see that some things don’t change that much!

advertisement

Back