advertisement

Windows Media Player

stooge

pfm Member
I have started playing aroung with computer source. Bought a DAC Magic and am feeding it from a PC using usb. Output from DAC Magic to CD in on my 72. I have been ripping from CDs using Windows Media Player set to rip in Windows Media Audio Lossless format.

If I change to FLAC format using DBPoweramp for ripping and playback, will it sound better than the WMP I am using now?

thanks
Jim

yep,agree totally.... going to do that. I am just curious to find out if anyone has already done that and what their result was.

A lossless file is lossless, regardless. The difference will/maybe in the media player setting. If you make sure your programs and OS are setup the same, then i doubt you'll hear any difference.

A lossless file is lossless, regardless. The difference will/maybe in the media player setting. If you make sure your programs and OS are setup the same, then i doubt you'll hear any difference.

Maybe Microsoft will dissappear in five years and we will all (except the Church of Apple) use Android ? The same is with Apple lossless. They are all prioprietary solutions which will sooner or later dissappear.

Do you remember Minidisc or Philips DCC ?

Flac is open source and is de facto the only standard for lossless compression, everything else will sooner or later cause some problems. Who wants to rip or convert all CDs and files again and again ?

Dbpoweramp can convert different types of files comfortably in a batch mode, but i think the best way is to do the thing right from the begining and IMHO flac is just the best choice at the moment.

Of course, there should not be any difference in sound quality, but Windows Media Player is not a perfect example of good designed software ;)

Sorry, maybe it is just personal - i hate Windows Media Player :D:D:D

Flac is open source and is de facto the only standard for lossless compression, everything else will sooner or later cause some problems.

Why have some developers gone on to produce other lossless formats (such as APE and WavPack)?

(This is a straightforward question, not a challenge to anybody's wisdom!)

windows XP with latest service packs installed

XP isn't bit perfect, so I would download Foobar and it's kernel streaming app, drag the app into the Foobar components folder on your PC, use Foobar as the playback software that will at least give you bit perfect output ,it should help.
Keith.

advertisement

Back