advertisement

Windows 22H2 - a sneaky change

What the hell?! Can you elaborate on that? I assume you mean more than the ‘protected’ Windows & System folders (or whatever they are called now, it’s over a decade since I’ve used Windows).
I tried to write certain text in several formats including Office and raw text. The files save and are then immediately deleted by Windows with some blather about security and safety. No problems in Linux. I posted about this some time ago on pfm but some on here just thought it was good that my files were scanned for my own protection. In a nutshell M$ didn't like what I was documenting about my own discoveries about how their key management servers work. It was for my own use and not to be broadcast on the web as I'm not that stupid. Well I hope not! But! It does show that M$ is monitoring what we write.

DV

Where though, in a system folder or just a standard user account? I’m assuming a full admin/root level account too? I obviously expect system security beneath that!

Sounds like a hell of a bug if it is randomly deleting Office files in a user account!

Do you have access to a Windows machine? If so it is today easy unlike a year or do ago.

On a Windows machine install the latest version of Rufus - its free.

Down load the latest 22H2 Windows 11 Pro ISO from the M$ website - free.

Launch Rufus and tell it to make a bootable installer on a USB stick. The defaults automatically removes the M$ compatibility tests.

Now on an Apple computer. Is it going to be Windows only or a dual boot machine?

To be continued after we know the answer to that last Q.

DV
Thanks DV. Dual boot.
And yes I have a real PC Windows 10 machine (well, also one on my Intel MBP via Bootcamp).

Onedrive is generally great and I put it through its paces, currently at well over half full (800gigs) of multi many thousands of files, synced over three of my devices and some of the the folder synced with other users. I work with files through twinmotion, that leads to literally thousands of files. And for the most part onedrive is good but there are issues. I am working with adobe right now on the fact I cannot export a JPEG from acrobat into a onedrive folder, it goes through the motions of exporting the jpeg but nothing is in the onedrive folder.

Whilst onedrive folders appear in explorer as folders, they really are not and this is the challenge.

I would struggle to call it a windows issue though. Microsoft yes :)

At the mo I'm using a 2012 Mac Mini running Win 11 Pro as my Linux desktop no longer works due to the water cooling of the CPU has failed.
DV

What were you using your Linux desktop for that it needed water cooling? I've had enterprise datacentres where the air-con has conked out and the servers, both Linux and Windows , just shut themselves down when it got too hot for them. IBM and HP stuff and no water cooling involved. Never lost a CPU.

DV likes vm inception, so it’s probably running a vm of Mac OS which itself is running a vm of Linux running a vm of windows, all on top of windows inside a Mac mini.

It’s easy!

I can even write some text that M$ doesn't like and when I save it Windows then deletes the file! Security! No M$ is monitoring what we write and want to save and we are now being told that certain things are not allowed......... 1984 is arriving a little late.
You're being deliberately disingenuous here. Shell commands are not "some text". It's also trivial to set up trusted folders where the antivirus will not be so heavy-handed.

I use both Linux and Windows daily, after about 20 years of being exclusively Mac based with some Linux in the later period of that (I started my career as a software developer at Apple for five years), and there is no "one best system" out there.

If we're playing "my OS is better than your OS", I've got a litany of things that are absolutely boneheaded on Linux, as I have for Windows and MacOS. All the lists are of equal length and equal annoyance. My philosophy is to just use whatever OS doesn't land its cowpats under my preferred route across the field, and stop pretending it's better because its pain points don't impact my daily routines...

advertisement

Back