advertisement

Windows 10 gets worse

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
So after an update to 1809 (and what a time it took) I decided to clean up one of my Win 10 Pro VMs and hit a problem at the second hurdle when attempting to uninstall (remove) an application. The application is there in Windows and can be run successfully but is no longer required. It shows up in the installed programs list and the uninstall process can be invoked then after a few jiffies a message pops up to say that the application can't be uninstalled. The log shows the message "Application is not installed." in several places and mentions that its not found in the 'component store'.

So I kick Windows up the wotsit with first 'sfc /scannow' and that completes without any errors followed by DISM using the online recover and that completes with 'successful'. For good measure I give it another dose of scannow and reboot and the result?

"Application is not installed."

What a pile of crap. I pity folks who are stuck with this sort of thing. Its quicker to rebuild a new VM or copy an existing one than waste time with Windows. I am particularly fond of some files owned by 'system' that Windows won't let you remove. Ha! I do it via Linux!
ecc059250a69fc2976cae4870a92c335.jpg

Cheers,

DV

Yeah, simple for me too. All the geekery (to me) needed to keep a Windows machine running was fun at first, but jeepers it dragged me down. No, OS and iOS aren’t perfect, but the memories come flooding back with posts like this.

Good luck, OP! Stick with it!

Win 7 here but would be using XP if it was still around and being updated. It was the peak of windows OS's to me.
I wouldn't touch Apple with a barge pole!

Win 7 support stops in 12months even for security updates. When MS has everyone on Win 10 they intend to start charging a monthly license fee apparently.

I tried to order a copy of scan2cad today only to find they have opted for a license purchase model with monthly fees.
That’s £1100 they aren’t going to see because I’d be such an occasional user it just ain’t worth it.

I use Windows 10 on my Surface. I've spent no time in the last few years "keeping it running" ... I suppose it depends what you're doing with it.

Last edited:
That's what I've heard recently. Follow the business links about the end of Win 7
There are millions of users of Win10 who, like me, upgraded from paid for Win7 installs, at Microsoft's urging. If they try to charge people like me, I have three words for them: class. action. lawsuit.

^Yep. It's called 'Windows as a Service'. It's already fast becoming the coporate model. I'm surprised people are so taken aback, it's the way software delivery is going e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud.

advertisement

Back